Powerade track owners & NHRA roundtable forum (1 Viewer)

BaldyLochs

Nitro Member
Does anybody know how often; if at all, does the NHRA formally sit down with all the national-event hosting track owners?

Chris, I would assume it's once a year on February 30th :D Can they legally sit down with everyone in the same room and discuss anything but the schedule and safety requirements?

They have track operator meetings in each division around the awards banquet and at Pomona prior to the Finals.

I figgerd it would take place then. I'm curious to know what they talk about, and if they bring in "guest" people to participate.

During the days of OCIR, Irwindale, etc., they would bring in people from insurance companies and other pertinent to running a track. We would get the latest information for the next year's rules & regulations. In addition, the track owners discuss their schedules and try not to step on each other with the same program on the same weekend.

They did once have a national operator's convention, which was held in Newport Beach. It was extremely informative and gave us a chance to meet some the of the owners/operators of the big east coast tracks.

But, that was along time ago......

The only time they seem to get together now is anytime the ADRL is fixing to have a race and they try and threaten the track hosting the event. Its ridiculous. For those of you who dont know what I am talking about, they tried to the stop the ADRL race this weekend at HMP but it didnt work out the way they planned b/c the race went on, the stands were packed, and the show was awesome. They are so scared of the ADRL its funny.

The only time they seem to get together now is anytime the ADRL is fixing to have a race and they try and threaten the track hosting the event. Its ridiculous. For those of you who dont know what I am talking about, they tried to the stop the ADRL race this weekend at HMP but it didnt work out the way they planned b/c the race went on, the stands were packed, and the show was awesome. They are so scared of the ADRL its funny.
They tried the same thing last year at Kennadale. Didn't work then either.:D

Hi Pat,
I haven't seen any posts from you in a while. Great to see you haven't completely given up on us yet. As always, I enjoy reading your stories from Orange County. Sure wish it was still there as that track along with the other Doner ran facilities funded a lot of independent fuel teams back in the day.

I heard about that briefly as well, Justin... Any idea why the big hard on for ADRL? :confused:

Yeah, I had read that, but it didn't really explain WHY NHRA was wanting to put a tech guy on the deal... It kinda, in a perverted way, goes back to the days of the original Safety Safari, where the guys traveled to various shindigs to make sure everyone was playing safe- good idea, because whenever anything bad happens, there is a black eye on the WHOLE sport. And Houston is known as a NHRA sanctioned track- if something did happens, those pirannahs known as lawyers would DEFINIATELY have dragged NHRA down into the mess, no matter how much they weren't "officially" involved..

If dude they were sending down was some sort of lap dog, was the thought that he was potentially going to bounce out some of the big attraction cars by failing them in tech? Then ON WHAT GROUNDS would he have to bounce them? Legitimate ones? If that's was the case, then you would have to say that the cars were unsafe and he was in the right to keep those cars off the track. And if they weren't legitimate reasons (not abiding by SOMEBODY'S rule book..), then don't you think dude was going to be in a REALLY small minority at a track with a bunch of pissed off race teams with NOTHING (and I mean nothing...:rolleyes: )to back him up?

Anytime I've had a tech "issue", validating my deal with their own rules has always gotten me the desired results. Is there such a major difference with the cars participating at this event that having an NHRA guy on site was going to be that much of an issue? Since I don't know alot about that particular series, that's why I asked Justin if there might be something that I wasn't getting out of the DRO article.

I have seen a copy of the letter NHRA wrote last year to Cindy owner of Texas Raceway telling her she was risking her track sanctioning by allowing the ADRL to race.
She responded that the cars were certified by NHRA and ADRL provided their own insurance . WTF
They say nothing for years when the same cars race there once a month!
This year Billy Meyer will host the ADRL nationals at Ennis.
I hope NHRA either accepts the races or at least turns a blind eye and doesn't penalise the track owners and the fans by extension.
Letters yes , meetings why bother.

Last edited:
Its just amazes me. I thought the NHRA and the ADRL had worked its problem out, over the winter the NHRA approved the ADRL (ASO,APO status or something like that, I forgot what its called right now) and then now at its first race they wanted to send tech out and be allowed to kick any car who didnt pass out of the event. They threatened the Bakers who own HMP with pulling there sanction, and all kinds of crap. Its gotten to the point where its stupid. The thing that gets me is NHRA could care less if Pro Mods showed up at there own freaking national events but yet they care so much about the ADRL.

Well, this topic kinda took a left turn from what I was shooting for.. but what the heck. I've been to Texas Raceway. I used to live at Cooper & Green Oaks in Turf Club. That little track has some great "regulars" there. I particulalry enjoyed when the Texas Pro Stock Association would come in and leave people with thier jaws dropping with some of the 1/8th mile ET's those guys would lay down. I guess in the shadow of the Motorplex.. there's no place north of Houston that compares to thier program there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back