Pomona NHRA Finals (2 Viewers)

What a shocker that Alexis did not qualify in AA/FC. Don't remember the last time she had a DNQ. Not as surprised that Del did not qualify since that was a last minute deal with probably an unseasoned all volunteer crew. Still, Del knows how to tune a car and it was a soft bump. Would think he would have been able to run a high 3 something. It would seem that something was off for both cars since she didn't make a decent pass all weekend. Ran out of good clutch disks, maybe?

Last edited:
It’s a shame they can’t fill the General Admission Grandstand after playing to nearly packed crowds at all events this year, except Charlotte and Chicago maybe. I was there in 2011 for both the Winters and the Finals and it was PACKED on Sat and Sun.

I love that old track.

Pomona crowds have been soft for years. Too much demographics change in Southern CA, and almost no advertising. Years ago, the LA Times (back when it was a great newspaper - not at all like today) would have several articles all week and several during the weekend about the Winternationals and the Finals. That's how everyone found out about the race. There's little to nothing about the drags in the LA Times nowadays. It's a crap newspaper. Typical.

What a shocker that Alexis did not qualify in AA/FC. Don't remember the last time she had a DNQ. Not as surprised that Del did not qualify since that was a last minute deal with probably an unseasoned all volunteer crew. Still, Del knows how to tune a car and it was a soft bump. Would think he would have been able to run a high 3 something. It would seem that something was off for both cars since she didn't make a decent pass all weekend. Ran out of good clutch disks, maybe?
I wonder if the second car affected the performance of Dejoria’s car? The last time Alexis DNQ’d was 2012.

Pomona crowds have been soft for years. Too much demographics change in Southern CA, and almost no advertising. Years ago, the LA Times (back when it was a great newspaper - not at all like today) would have several articles all week and several during the weekend about the Winternationals and the Finals. That's how everyone found out about the race. There's little to nothing about the drags in the LA Times nowadays. It's a crap newspaper. Typical.
That’s what I suspected. I lived in Los Angeles for almost 15 years, and like I said in an earlier post, in 2011, it was literally packed to the gills. I guess it has changed a lot.

The performance of the cars this year has really shocked me. The track is 1100 feet above sea level. And it is an old racing surface, but the ETs in top fuel are just amazing.

The LA Times is unreadable and unrepentantly "woke." Shav Glick and Otis Chandler would be embarrassed.
That being said, the NHRA media department utterly failed getting the word out. I live 60 miles from Pomona and heard nothing.

Alexis and JPD need to make Rahn Tobler and John Medlin an offer they cannot refuse.

Flyover!
20231112_110351.jpg

So 4 Top Fuel Title contenders make it to the Semi-finals. Looks like problems with the right lane all day so lane choice is critical. Based on that, it should be Torrance amd Kalitta in the Finals for all the marbles.

And all 3 Funny Car Title contenders loose in the 2nd Rd!! No one saw that coming! So by default, the Hulk wins the Championship. What an anticlimax and a real disappointment that it didn't go down to the Final round.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back