Pick the winners- Phoenix (1 Viewer)

I make my picks early in the week in case something pops up and change if I feel the urge. I through in KJ late because I just got a feeling!! :D

Thanks for all the hard work PJ!

Well i tried to put my picks in, but like everyone else today was not able and i do not have the luxury of having an online connection at work that can access this site, (the gov has deemed the site as harmful and blocks it) and no internet at home, and can not make picks on my phone...so i am out of the NEW AND IMPROVED Pick the winners contest.
I know your guys intention was to make it easier to work it, but honestly how can you make picks before a single car has made it down the track? That was the beauty of the old system. You could get some data from qualifying and make some logical picks. I guess thats like handicapping a horse race by just looking at the racing form, but not seeing the horses in the paddock.
Oh well.
Now i understand why you dont like the countdown PJ. It took something simple and easy and made it more complecated...
Best of luck to those who continue to play...but i just do not have the time or ability to play this game in its structure.

Looks like PJ or the other guy (?) fixed the game as it now shows that you have until 2/21/09 to submit your picks. Not sure when on 2/21/09 as that is Saturday so I suspect it is sometime after midnight but before rounds 3 & 4 tomorrow.

I agree 100% all picks should HAVE to be in BEFORE 1st Round of Qualifying.. If you pick a horse you cant pick him after they start the race or bet on a football game in the 2nd quarter!

Rules should clearly state all picks MUST be in BEFORE Qualifying starts!! JMO

I agree 100% all picks should HAVE to be in BEFORE 1st Round of Qualifying.. If you pick a horse you cant pick him after they start the race or bet on a football game in the 2nd quarter!

Rules should clearly state all picks MUST be in BEFORE Qualifying starts!! JMO

I didn't realize the rules have changed. I was just able to make my pics at 7pm tonight. The deadline has always been Friday at midnight since the beginning of "pick the winners" 3 or 4 years ago.

Your examples are great but that is nothing different from what we've been doing in the past. The RACE doesn't actually start until Sunday morning. Now, if we were making pics after first round started, that would be a different story.... IMO

I didn't realize the rules have changed. I was just able to make my pics at 7pm tonight. The deadline has always been Friday at midnight since the beginning of "pick the winners" 3 or 4 years ago.

Your examples are great but that is nothing different from what we've been doing in the past. The RACE doesn't actually start until Sunday morning. Now, if we were making pics after first round started, that would be a different story.... IMO

If you're going by that logic, then shouldn't the cutoff be Saturday night/Sunday morning at midnight? After ALL qualifying is done?

But then it would give people only about a six-eight hour window to put in their picks... And what if you couldn't get to a computer then. Or the game is down. Or...

I prefer before all qualifying. Like the new system. And I've said it before. But if you're going to do SOME qualifying doesn't it make sense to make it be ALL qualifying?

If you're going by that logic, then shouldn't the cutoff be Saturday night/Sunday morning at midnight? After ALL qualifying is done?

But then it would give people only about a six-eight hour window to put in their picks... And what if you couldn't get to a computer then. Or the game is down. Or...

I prefer before all qualifying. Like the new system. And I've said it before. But if you're going to do SOME qualifying doesn't it make sense to make it be ALL qualifying?

You mentioned the new system again. If it's true that we can't make our pics after ANY qualifying has started, why was I just able to pick mine tonight? Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning the new system for being right or worng, I'm just wondering if that is indeed the new rule, why was I able to make my pics tonight at 7pm? Shouldn't the new automated system have blocked my pics if this was true. I personally don't care WHEN the pics are due, I just want to have a concrete answer as to when that exactly is, thats all.

kinda funny, I have had people email me over the years saying they like waiting till Friday night and others commenting on wanting the rules changed to before first round of Qualifying.

To be honest I'm fine either way but the reason I orginally did it Friday night was judging by previous versions of the game as well as different threads it seems many people forget there is a race until Friday morning. Then they start wondering whats up for the weekend and realize that there is a race. I figured that since its a game for fun then why not make sure as many people as possible can have a chance to play.

I do apologize for the issues, we'll try to correct them. Thanks for playing,

And Tim, can you low blow me any harder man, compare my game to the countdown...thats just mean:p:D

Your examples are great but that is nothing different from what we've been doing in the past.
The RACE doesn't actually start until Sunday morning. Now, if we were making pics after first round started, that would be a different story.... IMO

I think if PJ allowed you to wait until Sun morning it would be unfair... suppose you wanted to pick (example) Brandon Bernstein.. and he never got down the track... and made the field on the last qualifying run to # 16 spot...you "KNOW" he ..his team, is having a problem.. will you still stick with him ?

Now lets say in Pro Stock Greg Anderson sets a new record.. 6.450 and makes 4 runs in the 6.4xx zone.. and all the other PS cars are running 6.53x or slower.. I bet you pick Anderson .. so will 90 others...

But as with Brandon suppose Anderson breaks his motor, and hits the wall, and has to use a back up car and only makes the field in # 15 or 16 with a lot of wheel hop.. and he gets out of the car shaking his head.. saying... Daymmmm Cant get a handle on this set up.. "BUT I have the BEST crew in NHRA and we'll get it figured out for tomorrow...

Would you still pick him if he was . .050 slower than Dave Connolly who had been hitting the tree with .0-teen lights and running .045 faster than Anderson.. I think not...

By having everyone pick BEFORE 1st round of qualifying, you also eliminate the chance of a "One Lane Track" suppose on Fri for 1st round they (Pros) find out the left lane is REAL BAD and NHRA works their Azzz off but it (the left lane) never comes around...
Well I know the faster car has lane choice.. and if my original pick is # 11 he will be racing #3 so my pick would be #3 or a car I like who is in the RIGHT/Good Lane

By having everyone pick before 1st qualifying round we don't know who has a good or bad set up, or if one lane is better or not..

Shoot.. I'd love to make my picks after 4th round of qualifying.. :D

PJ are you listening.. How about a new rule.. anyone OVER the age of 65.. can pick after 4th round of qualifying !

Last edited:
I think if PJ allowed you to wait until Sun morning it would be unfair... suppose you wanted to pick (example) Brandon Bernstein.. and he never got down the track... and made the field on the last qualifying run to # 16 spot...you "KNOW" he ..his team, is having a problem.. will you still stick with him ?

Now lets say in Pro Stock Greg Anderson sets a new record.. 6.450 and makes 4 runs in the 6.4xx zone.. and all the other PS cars are running 6.53x or slower.. I bet you pick Anderson .. so will 90 others...

But as with Brandon suppose Anderson breaks his motor, and hits the wall, and has to use a back up car and only makes the field in # 15 or 16 with a lot of wheel hop.. and he gets out of the car shaking his head.. saying... Daymmmm Cant get a handle on this set up.. "BUT I have the BEST crew in NHRA and we'll get it figured out for tomorrow...

Would you still pick him if he was . .050 slower than Dave Connolly who had been hitting the tree with .0-teen lights and running .045 faster than Anderson.. I think not...

By having everyone pick BEFORE 1st round of qualifying, you also eliminate the chance of a "One Lane Track" suppose on Fri for 1st round they (Pros) find out the left lane is REAL BAD and NHRA works their Azzz off but it (the left lane) never comes around...
Well I know the faster car has lane choice.. and if my original pick is # 11 he will be racing #3 so my pick would be #3 or a car I like who is in the RIGHT/Good Lane

By having everyone pick before 1st qualifying round we don't know who has a good or bad set up, or if one lane is better or not..

Shoot.. I'd love to make my picks after 4th round of qualifying.. :D

PJ are you listening.. How about a new rule.. anyone OVER the age of 65.. can pick after 4th round of qualifying !

So basically by picking BEFORE a single car ever makes a pass somehow makes it better? I call that a crap shoot! The factors that you're trying to take out of the game, are the factors that enable people to make an educated guess..... without it, it becomes a game of pure luck. IMO.

Like I said in my second post.... I personally don't care when the deadline is, I just want to know when that exactly is. :)

I really think PJs original intention was for us to think about really PICKING THE WINNERS!!!! prior to this year blanket picks (favorites for the whole year ) were not allowed. Really what fun would that be. To take a lesson from fantasy football, baseball ect. there are choices to be made based on recent perfomance. Ask Amanda Smith or Jim Young whether or not they considered their picks prior to making them. I know for a fact that the people who were high on the list for the last 2 years agonized over their choices. That was the fun of this!!! Thanks to PJ for opening it back up today. I think the cutoff should be sometime around midnight Friday like it was. If it gets rained out like it did 2 weeks ago, you live with it. It's the same for everyone then. There are those of us who appreciate the opportunity to evaluate the performances of the day ( or days Pomona) I see this the same as telling Alan Johnson or Austin Coil that they have to run the car as it comes out of the trailer. For the rest, what I'm asking doesn"t infringe any of you in any way. Make your picks when and how you see fit. I just would like the opportunity to think about it first.:confused::confused:

Its not hard for PJ to change the deadline date to the proper ones...And I posted in the winternationals pick the winners post that server time is between 2am and 7am central time on the date the deadline says...I figured that out by checking every hour on the hour until I couldnt stay awake...

Read this whole post...Sometime today PJ changed the Deadline Date after it expired this morning...

You mentioned the new system again. If it's true that we can't make our pics after ANY qualifying has started, why was I just able to pick mine tonight? Don't get me wrong, I'm not questioning the new system for being right or worng, I'm just wondering if that is indeed the new rule, why was I able to make my pics tonight at 7pm? Shouldn't the new automated system have blocked my pics if this was true. I personally don't care WHEN the pics are due, I just want to have a concrete answer as to when that exactly is, thats all.

One more things...

If you ge to wait until qualifying is over to make your picks, what is the point of Low ET being the tie breaker when #1 Qual is usually Low ET?...IMO

With all due respect Eric and thanks for helping take some of the burden off PJ, the low et were are entering is for the Sunday Top Fuel Final and has nothing to do with anything that was run today. :confused::confused:

That is blatant age discrimination! The rule should be anyone over age 61 (until April 15th, when I turn 62)! - :D

On a serious note, I never made my picks last year until Friday qualifying was completed. Feel the two or three hour time difference did give me an advantage at times. That being said, I don't feel bad enough to give up the prestigious title of NitroMater 2008 Pick The Winners Champion - ;)

This is a game - for fun and nothing more. I made my picks early and I'm stickin' with 'em. Considering how badly I did in Pomona, it's now a personal challenge. Let's give this a chance to get the wrinkles ironed out - I'll be in the stands Sunday with ladders and picks in hand - FIRE "EM UP!

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back