Parts Usage Question (1 Viewer)

Rat

Nitro Member
I know that this topic may have been debated on this site quite a bit, but in 2019 terms here is the question. Everyone complains about the cost of running an TF/FC, and Torrence camp showed that any round on Sunday gets a new block. I am sure many of the other parts are used under the same guidelines, so this must force a team that can afford it, to run that way as well if they want to win. I know they also sell "used parts" to other teams not on the level that they are. Some teams running this way may not sell any and just use the worn parts on content qualifying, but how much would it decrease costs if parts were used until their death, and what effect would it possibly have on performance to run parts until they are used up and worn out?

It would increase costs and decrease performance to use parts until their "death". They cycle parts out to prevent failure because valve train and drive line failures tend to absolutely destroy everything else.

If you can afford to run parts way less than the average team and then sell them for 50 cents on the dollar, I think you will be way ahead cause as Mike said, if you have a parts failure and a catastrophic blow up, it's going to cost you 40-100K for just one big boomer. Kind of a win/win because the teams that buy parts from Torrence are getting parts that are way better and less used than the usual "used parts" that used to be out there.

all the big teams have a book on every part in the engine. From experience they know when failure is likely and replace them before that. Some may replace some parts sooner than others based on tuneup and experience. Some of the lesser funded teams don't run the car as hard and can get by with good used parts. I know Jim Dunn would save his new stuff for finals when they ran the car harder.

Not arguing but I think you meant they replace the blower every pass not the block. replacing the blower is highly unusual as most teams never change the blower on race day unless they blow it up.

Not arguing but I think you meant they replace the blower every pass not the block. replacing the blower is highly unusual as most teams never change the blower on race day unless they blow it up.
They put new strips in the blower each round unless they balloon a case..

Would be interesting to know how many runs certain parts can be used for. Tires are what, 10 - 20 runs? Etc.

I was on Billy's car in Topeka last week we ran same motor all weekend changed motor for final just because motor gets hot after 3 runs in 5 hrs it will get serviced at shop and put back in rotation......like eugene said blowers get checked every run if it melts the strips inside the blower on raceday we put another one on same thing will get serviced at shop just easier to do it when not rushing......as far as used parts we buy a lot of stuff for Dakins car from torrence and kalitta it helps everyone they get to get some money back on parts and we get to buy them cheaper than sticker price

I was on Billy's car in Topeka last week we ran same motor all weekend changed motor for final just because motor gets hot after 3 runs in 5 hrs it will get serviced at shop and put back in rotation......like eugene said blowers get checked every run if it melts the strips inside the blower on raceday we put another one on same thing will get serviced at shop just easier to do it when not rushing......as far as used parts we buy a lot of stuff for Dakins car from torrence and kalitta it helps everyone they get to get some money back on parts and we get to buy them cheaper than sticker price

Dan, this is an unrelated question I was thinking about at Topeka. It appears that Steve and Billy's cars each have a complete crew-i.e. not sharing members other than somebody like Bobby/Richard. What do the guys on Billy's crew do when Billy skips a race? Work in shop, assist on Steve's car or are part time?

Billy's car has two full time guys (three if you count McCulloch). The rest of the guys are picked off from other part time teams (Dakin, Lagana, etc).

Well little brother there is 5 now with Jason included......yeah at the shop they service Billy's car and also help with servicing Steve's car.......people also forget not just car and parts need service, truck trailers need service generators Yukons and so on

kind of related. what year did team strange's rolling machine shop semi trailer stop making the tour? late 90's? what else did they specialize in besides clutch discs and rear ends and gears?

kind of related. what year did team strange's rolling machine shop semi trailer stop making the tour? late 90's? what else did they specialize in besides clutch discs and rear ends and gears?

What year did the Strange motorhome stop coming to the track? Always cool to stop by and see Maz.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back