AJ'S parts and crew (2 Viewers)

jimbo

Nitro Member
Is it really true AJ has special parts -fuel system , heads. clutch than other teams? Sort of doubt it myself as I would like to think that it would really hurt his business if he did not offer the same to everyone. Also would that be covered under the antitrust rules and NHRA rule book under unaproved parts?
Next did AJ have any choice not to offer jobs to the whole crew from last year so as not to let any "secrets" out? If there were secrets the one lone crewman left on Tony's team sure seemed to be paying attention as they are matching AJ run for run.
On another vain the Snakes team seems to be right in the middle of everything also, this should be a great year coming up.

Is it really true AJ has special parts -fuel system , heads. clutch than other teams? Sort of doubt it myself as I would like to think that it would really hurt his business if he did not offer the same to everyone. Also would that be covered under the antitrust rules and NHRA rule book under unaproved parts?
Next did AJ have any choice not to offer jobs to the whole crew from last year so as not to let any "secrets" out? If there were secrets the one lone crewman left on Tony's team sure seemed to be paying attention as they are matching AJ run for run.
On another vain the Snakes team seems to be right in the middle of everything also, this should be a great year coming up.

...AJ has been known to sell the "latest and greatest"...right from underneith himself.!
...Back in the Winston/Scelzi days...He Sold Amato/Prock a set of one-off heads!...Money Talk$:p

(Tune-up book was left behind...its the last minute in the lanes tweaks that makes Alan the Genius!)

Not sure about A.J. but it seems Forces cars are loaded with custom in-house parts that are not for sale.

(Tune-up book was left behind...its the last minute in the lanes tweaks that makes Alan the Genius!)[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's making Mike Green look better than he ever has but when they meet head to head when it counts I will always put my money on AJ!
I wonder if they are running the same car from last year by their performance I would think so but as soon as they change the chassis that will throw them off.
It's same as cooking and reading right out of a recipe book if he didn't have that book he wouldn't be doing half as well.
As Tony Schumacher got use to saying I wouldn’t bet against Alan Johnson on race day but personally I would against Mike Green!

Rule #1. The Boss makes the rules.
Rule #2 See Rule #1

This may be common knowledge but it was news to me, Saturday on the Sammy and Bob drag racing radio show in Houston one of the invited guests (I don't think it was either Nickens nor Nickerson that Will Hanna was advertising . . . thanks Will, reminded me to tune in) . . . anyway this guest said that in addition to Alan's normal paycheck he "rented" the injection and clutch parts used on Tony's dragster for $35k a race . . . and took them with him when he left.

Makes the last two weeks of testing pretty impressive for Mike Green . . . but I think I still give Alan's cars the edge for consistent week to week performances. Cool seeing Del Worsham go so fast.

I had heard the "rental" story before as well. The story that AJ sells his customers "everything" he has available has made the rounds as well. It makes me think of the teacher/student relationship where the teacher says he taught the student everything the student knows.........but not everything the teacher knows. :)

(Tune-up book was left behind...its the last minute in the lanes tweaks that makes Alan the Genius!)

Usually ownership of the tune-up book between crew chief and owner is 50 - 50. I am sure Alan also has a copy, even though he probably would not have to look at it that much with his expertise.

I imagine most of the true professional engine parts suppliers and builders dont keep the best stuff for themselves. We were at Indy one year and a Reher-Morrision customer came up to get their engine. He told Buddy Morrison I dont want that one (the one in the transporter), I want that one, and pointed to the one in their car. Buddy turned and told a crew guy "Pull it and give him that one." When the customers dont get the best, they go somewhere else.

Every great set up/ tune up guy has his secrets.. when you are in the busines side to make money.. you sell every thing you can... and answer all the questions truthfully.... but here's the KEY.... you have to ask the RIGHT questions.. and all of the right questions....

Once raced with a guy who would sell you anything he had.. and answer every question you asked.... truthfully .. but if you asked about the front end.. you better ask 20 more questions about the back end to find what else it takes for the whole package to work...lol...

Billy

Doesn't a change in chassis change the intangibles of the tuneup? I'm a little bit lost, nothing unusual there, as to why he would "rent" the clutch and injector setup. Or are these particular setups individualized to DSR and the manufacturers won't duplicate them for anybody else? Just a question.

I imagine most of the true professional engine parts suppliers and builders dont keep the best stuff for themselves. We were at Indy one year and a Reher-Morrision customer came up to get their engine. He told Buddy Morrison I dont want that one (the one in the transporter), I want that one, and pointed to the one in their car. Buddy turned and told a crew guy "Pull it and give him that one." When the customers dont get the best, they go somewhere else.

Sorry its from NASCAR, but its a similar story but with a different ending. A few years ago Robby Gordon was leasing engines from the Robert Yates team (who were doing well with Dale Jarrett at the time) who was claiming all their team and leased engines had the same power.

Robby wasn't happy with his qualifying performance to that point in the season, and the morning of a qualifying run, went to the Yates garage area, stating "if all these engines are the same then I want that one" pointing to the engine in Dale Jarrett's car. The Yates team declined to make the swap.

Paul T.

Sorry its from NASCAR, but its a similar story but with a different ending. A few years ago Robby Gordon was leasing engines from the Robert Yates team (who were doing well with Dale Jarrett at the time) who was claiming all their team and leased engines had the same power.

Robby wasn't happy with his qualifying performance to that point in the season, and the morning of a qualifying run, went to the Yates garage area, stating "if all these engines are the same then I want that one" pointing to the engine in Dale Jarrett's car. The Yates team declined to make the swap.

Paul T.

Having worked for Roush/Yates Racing Engines I can tell you that there is only a 2-3 Horsepower difference between engines. We were at the Vegas test and a certain Roush driver was running 5 tenths better then the rest of the drivers so the complaining started that this drivers engine was better. So during lunch we swapped engines between 2 cars and guess what. The driver who was running ahead of everyone continued to have 5 tenths on the field. The other driver was still running slow.

It's not the engines or the parts it's what you do with them that makes them go fast.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back