Come on AJ! (1 Viewer)

Nick

Nitro Member
I'ts been a long time since sharing anything on here, but here I go. When I heard AJ was coming on board with Doug, I got really excited, but here we are several races in and there's very little to show for his efforts. I don't and will not bash just for the sake of bashing, but dammit, I would like to see Doug's team with AJ kick some butt. So far it's been (correct me if I'm wrong) all round 1 losses save one second round finish. I wont loose faith. I'm a huge Kalitta Motorsports Fan. Has the competition caught up with AJ's "secrets"?

Interesting interview with Bruno where he discussed the weight differences between Brittany/Salinas vs Doug. Alan said they need more runs and said Doug was "a full grown man." Again, it's a long season, if they're good by Labor Day, look out.

I'ts been a long time since sharing anything on here, but here I go. When I heard AJ was coming on board with Doug, I got really excited, but here we are several races in and there's very little to show for his efforts. I don't and will not bash just for the sake of bashing, but dammit, I would like to see Doug's team with AJ kick some butt. So far it's been (correct me if I'm wrong) all round 1 losses save one second round finish. I wont loose faith. I'm a huge Kalitta Motorsports Fan. Has the competition caught up with AJ's "secrets"?
Yes this has been a surprising result so far with AJ / Kalitta. Have they caught up to AJ's secrets? Drag Racing history has shown that there has always been someone with the "trick" of the week, month or year dominate AA/TF or AA/FC. Wether it be Garlits, Snake, Berstein, Amato, Force, Schumacher. In the past everybody caught up. Now everybody's running spec this and spec that, I think it is tuff to really get an edge on anybody.

It's extremely difficult to walk into another camp and make it work right away. Changing chassis manufacturers is bad enough let along getting everything to gel right away. However, having said that, I enjoy Clay Millican's progress with Jim Oberhofer calling the shots only a few races in.

Grubby has Brittany now. He runs the car very rich. She has gotten very good on the tree. I watched her inch in closer "twice" when she and Stevo staged at Virginia. Her dad taught her well. She will be tough to beat this year.

It's extremely difficult to walk into another camp and make it work right away. Changing chassis manufacturers is bad enough let along getting everything to gel right away. However, having said that, I enjoy Clay Millican's progress with Jim Oberhofer calling the shots only a few races in.
Im surprised kloeber hasnt found another cc role

I'm a little surprised myself Doug hasn't at least won more rounds than he has. One can factor in a lot of things, new tuner/engine setup, chassis adjustment, driver reaction time, etc. but sometimes a little luck goes a long way.
Yes, other teams can learn the "tricks of the trade" so to speak and catch up to the competition while other teams can fall behind. Steve Torrence for example. In years past he was almost unbeatable, now he's playing catch up.
We still have a long season ahead and I have faith Doug and AJ will get it together. As they say, "it ain't over 'till it's over".

I'm a little surprised myself Doug hasn't at least won more rounds than he has. One can factor in a lot of things, new tuner/engine setup, chassis adjustment, driver reaction time, etc. but sometimes a little luck goes a long way.
Yes, other teams can learn the "tricks of the trade" so to speak and catch up to the competition while other teams can fall behind. Steve Torrence for example. In years past he was almost unbeatable, now he's playing catch up.
We still have a long season ahead and I have faith Doug and AJ will get it together. As they say, "it ain't over 'till it's over".
And it doesn’t start until the countdown. What’s going on today is interesting but won’t matter that much in October.

What's interesting to me is while all the cars weigh the same, it's how they distribute the weight that seems to make the difference. I also agree that almost everyone is on the same page as far as the combination.

It's like Steve Torrence said in his interview, which we all know, that drag racing can take you from hero to zero real quick. AJ didn't forget how to run a fuel car and win rounds, but as Randy mentioned, it's tough to walk into a new situation and just hit the ground running. Plus, there's some real talent out there, some of which AJ helped create!

impressed with capco, realizing their world beating tune-up of recent years, has now been equaled and/or surpassed by a few teams; taking painful step to rework.

Last edited:
All of Kalitta Motorsports is down this year. Langdon and J.R. are lucky to make it 60 feet before going up in smoke. It's definitely been a disappointing season for the entire organization.

one little 2-step in Q and bye-bye dave and hello JR. gained a great driver and lost a ...... who knew then. i'm assuming whatever dave stumbled onto with stringer/clay,
now with JFR, has got to be some closely guarded knowledge and information.

one little 2-step in Q and bye-bye dave and hello JR. gained a great driver and lost a ...... who knew then. i'm assuming whatever dave stumbled onto with stringer/clay,
now with JFR, has got to be some closely guarded knowledge and information.
Grubby maintained the computer system for Kalitta racing and had access to all the run data from all the cars. I'm pretty sure he spent a lot of time looking at data and formulating his own recipe.

The worst thing any team could do is underestimate Alan. As he said they are slowly picking it up and will be there when it counts. They are getting close in qualifying. Every driver will tell you they need a little luck to win, they haven't had any. It will come.

IMO there is somewhat a pattern with AJ. He goes to a team, he gets them running really well, some even champions if he stays long enough. Then he moves on to another team, previous team does well for a few years using AJ's data then they start to fall off.
I honestly thought Kalitta would of been more of a threat by now but as AJ said with the countdown structure they only need to excel/peak at Indy and after.
You know the welfare system

A.J. brings his consulting services to a team. He has good data but, If a team doesn't pay attention to his method, well, you are hit.

Remember too, it’s not all on Alan. On Monday mornings after race day you’ve probably got atleast 5; maybe even up to about 8 or 10 people all looking at the data on the weekends’ runs and trying to connect the dots.

Yes, the car has only gotten out of round one three times… but it also has the team’s best speed an ET this far.

Anyone know if Kalitta has been precipitating at the Monday Nationals testing?
If anyone could afford to do that, I'd say Team Kalitta can

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back