One of The Biggest Announcements in NHRA History (1 Viewer)

If asking what knowledge he has about online marketing is or track operations is "deflecting", then he's proving your point for you. You can't reason with the unreasonable. Most of us appreciate your contribution to the board, thanks Alan!

You are right, I don't know what I was thinking. An email sent out that said "Come see Tony Stewart race Top Fuel" resulted in people clicking a link to buy tickets. But it was probably a coincidence.

If asking what knowledge he has about online marketing is or track operations is "deflecting", then he's proving your point for you. You can't reason with the unreasonable. Most of us appreciate your contribution to the board, thanks Alan!

You are right, I don't know what I was thinking. An email sent out that said "Come see Tony Stewart race Top Fuel" resulted in people clicking a link to buy tickets. But it was probably a coincidence.

You Know - It really doesn't matter which part of an e-mail causes people to buy tickets. If it worked: Use that plan again & again until it doesen't work anymore. No need to over analyze as long as something gets positive results. Probably the most inexpensive way to advertise.

What the average fan doesn't realize (and seems to be offended by), is that NHRA isn't focused on you. They like you and want you to come back, but their marketing is always going to be driven to attract new people to the sport. Fans, sponsors and new money. They already get the average fans' money and the loyalty is to the drivers/teams, not the sanctioning body. Any way you slice it, Tony Stewart racing NHRA Top Fuel is one of the biggest stories in NHRA history, especially if you aren't already an NHRA fan....

What the average fan doesn't realize (and seems to be offended by), is that NHRA isn't focused on you. They like you and want you to come back, but their marketing is always goThring to be driven to attract new people to the sport. Fans, sponsors and new money. They already get the average fans' money and the loyalty is to the drivers/teams, not the sanctioning body. Any way you slice it, Tony Stewart racing NHRA Top Fuel is one of the biggest stories in NHRA history, especially if you aren't already an NHRA fan....
The mindless booth announcers and idiot dj support what you said. How about speaking to those that know the difference between a plate stop and an inline stop or who was the 3rd driver in the 4's. Same phrased every race.

What the average fan doesn't realize (and seems to be offended by), is that NHRA isn't focused on you. They like you and want you to come back, but their marketing is always going to be driven to attract new people to the sport. Fans, sponsors and new money. They already get the average fans' money and the loyalty is to the drivers/teams, not the sanctioning body. Any way you slice it, Tony Stewart racing NHRA Top Fuel is one of the biggest stories in NHRA history, especially if you aren't already an NHRA fan....
One of the several reasons why I stop going to the National Events.

isn't it like that with a lot of things.They will give you a great deal to reel you in and then slowly milk you for all they can.
ha! went thru gates at cordova about 50 years ago for probably $5.......multiple thousands of dollars later, still going, and don't ask price.
back to thread topic. keep wondering if tony's involvement has not peeked interest in drag racing of others outside drag racing arena?
is memory correct a few years back rumor that kevin harvick and vandergriff jr. knew each other; barely floating a rumor that kevin
was aware of the drag racing world? pretty sure he just retired from driving?......you never know.

Last edited:

Genuinely curious, what business are you in? Do you do any online
marketing?

When you are selling something on the internet, you can put it on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, banner adds, email and any number of things. And you can track every click that puts in an order.

Alan

EDIT: If you ran a racetrack would you be telling the fans that Tony Stewart would be racing in Top Fuel at your event?
YES

"If I owned a track" isn't the point. Please stop distracting and deflecting from the original, 2 main points being made on the board.

Point 1 - Your statement:
Worldwide Technology Raceway (Madison, IL.) sent an email blast saying "Come see Tony Stewart race in Top Fuel in 2024" and saw an uptick in ticket sales. That's a fact.

And I maintain this is not a "fact", a coincidence. There is no evidence of cause/effect that because stating Tony Stewart will race in Top Fuel is the result of the "uptick" in ticket sales. Especially when a financial incentive was ALSO offered in that email about ticket renewals, and could just as well resulted in the "uptick". Secondly, as well documented and repeatedly said before, ticket sales and attendance figures are never released or corroborated, so is the uptick due to lower attendance last year, or an "uptick" on historical sales/attendance? What is the quantitative definition of "uptick"? 10 more tickets? 100? 1000?

And the second point is what the overwhelming sentiment among board members here is this was hardly some earthshaking, historic announcement, but yet again another overblown and overplayed hand by NHRA, to little surprise of most of us.
WWT sold out in 2023. Now sold out doesn't necessairly mean their were no empty seats for the 3 day event. We were their Saturday night and all day Sunday. Sunday the place was definately full.

I've never gone to a drag race to listen to an announcer. When I wasn't racing, I just love watching racing (no offense Alan). All I know is that NHRA Drag Racing is the biggest game in town. And we've all seen the empty seats at some venues. Besides providing a good track, NHRA has to fill those stands. There can be arguments about what they do with the money, absolutely. But using whatever marketing tools they have to drive asses into seats is just good business. Unfortunately, old racing fans stop coming, so on occasion NHRA has to attract new ones. We all know, that if you love nitro, there's no words to explain the sensation. But ya gotta get people in the gate the first time. My closest National event is Seattle and it's 800 miles one-way. I've made the trip a few times and will make it again. Cuz drag racing

When I used to go to Lions, I always tried to sit next to a speaker, so I could hear Steve Evans and others say what times the cars ran. No scoreboards back then. Evans had a lot of stories about racers, some that he could tell & some not. Always interesting to hear what he had to say. Wonder if he had any Roger Gates stories......

When I used to go to Lions, I always tried to sit next to a speaker, so I could hear Steve Evans and others say what times the cars ran. No scoreboards back then. Evans had a lot of stories about racers, some that he could tell & some not. Always interesting to hear what he had to say. Wonder if he had any Roger Gates stories......

Careful, this is a family friendly website. LOL

Careful, this is a family friendly website. LOL
I don’t know, but 1 of our Crew guys started calling me “Ramjet” after the TV cartoon & Mac (Dave Mclland) picked up on it and started using it. Steve was partners with John Paxton in the Rocket car and John started driving for Bill Ward (my partner in the Bonneville streamliner after I stopped running and he built an Opel with a BBC in it) so I got to know him.

tony making laps at gainesville today, sans e.t. or mph, yet 22 comments in 5 hours; guessing just his name in title elicits responses from his fanbase. video by nhra.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back