Oh no! (2 Viewers)

...............there was a day that I did all those things without a wheelie bar :eek:

I was just thinking the same thing. I bought a Schwinn Sting Ray with a 3 Speed from a neighbor for $3.00. I bought because the front Crank Sprocket was smaller than a non-3 or 5 Speed. Then I could change the Rear Driven Sprocket from other Bikes and get different Gear Ratios for better performance based on what I was doing with the bike that day. To think I learned about Gear Ratios playing with my Erector Set.

Not a helmet, elbow or knee pad in sight either.

I remember a day when my Mom was picking gravel from my forehead with a tweezers after taking a tumble from my bike while delivering Papers. With the weight of the papers in a Carrier Bag wrapped around the Handle Bars, I lost the front Wheel Bearings on my Orange Krate after jumping a few Curbs. The good ol'days...

......................I remember a day when my Mom was picking gravel from my forehead with a tweezers after taking a tumble from my bike while delivering Papers. With the weight of the papers in a Carrier Bag wrapped around the Handle Bars, I lost the front Wheel Bearings on my Orange Krate after jumping a few Curbs. The good ol'days...
That's cool, you had an Orange Krate! :D
2005011.jpg

Google Image Result for http://www.antiquewhs.com/2005011.jpg

Mine was the stripped down model. No 5-Speed. Dad bought it for me with his Tax refund in 1969. In 1976 I made it into a Chopper by adding to the length of the Forks on the Springer using the X-Braces from the Bleachers at the Local High School Foot Ball Field. The thing was so long it would not fit in the Garage. Some one stole it one night from along side the house In 1983 my parents got a call from the Police that my Bike had been found in a pond about a mile from the house. I never went and picked it up. I wish I would have now.

I had the stripped down version as well, it was a candy tangerine color. Even though I rode the snot out of it, I treated it like I would a race car today. My dad was racing in that era, so like he did with the cars, every year I did something new to the bike, like putting on a new slick, new seat, changed the color to candy red one year, etc. Man, those were fun times. Any of you guys buy one of the new Schwinn Stingrays? It's got a big back tire, it's stretched and looks like a pro-street Harley. I got one for my kid a couple years ago, and at first he loved it, then decided he liked trick-bikes better. Kids today...

LOL, I had to have most of my chin stitched back on.
I never had any stitches on my chin but I should have. Back in my early teens I wrecked on some pebble asphalt and took a good chunk of skin off the left side of my chin. It was still hangin on at the top so I slapped a big band-aid on it and called it good. I still have a nice scar from it.

Yep, how the heck did those of who grew up in that era ever make it to adulthood?
I don't know. :D I'm just glad I grew up back then instead of in recent years. Kids today can't even point chicken fingers at each other like guns without being suspended for violence. :rolleyes:

Also, back then we rarely got hurt. If we did, our parents didn't file lawsuits or try to start legislation to make bikes safer. They told us we got what we deserved for being careless and then they grounded us for a week! :p LOL!

Also, back then we rarely got hurt. If we did, our parents didn't file lawsuits or try to start legislation to make bikes safer. They told us we got what we deserved for being careless and then they grounded us for a week! :p LOL!

We also had to repair all the things we crashed ,broke etc.I had plenty of forks,sprockets ,etc from junk bikes.If not we usually scoured the neighborhood the night before trash pick up!!

Had two bikes, the 'SEARS' equal to the orange crate (a 5spd) and my newspaper bike... a 26" heavy frame 'truck'

Ya'll noticed the kids were riding barefoot in the Whamo add? heck, we used ta ride down the sides of overpasses... and I don't remember a car my folks had with seatbelts until early 70's, and what the heck was a car seat? I had to put belts in my 65 Belvedere before I could run it at OCIR... I also remember bucket seats without factory installed back latches... and growing up, I always had a pocket knife on me, got my first one for my 5th birthday...

rambling again... strange how many of us survived the 50's 60's and early 70's without big brother tellin' us how to keep us safe from ourselves...

d'kid

ya...a little personal responsibility is a wonderful thing...everything ISN'T somebody else's fault...

anyway...I really wanted an Orange Krate when I was a kid, but had to settle for a metallic lime green Schwinn with a white banana seat :)

Not a helmet, elbow or knee pad in sight either.
And as Karl said no shoes either! I spent a couple of summers delivering "The Daily Pilot" on my base model Sting Ray it was the perfect bike to hang those bags from. Just a shirt and shorts between me certain road rash! I still have the scars.:)
Dan

Try riding on the handle bars, down a steep hill, around a curve, and have a dog run out in front of you.....and slide on your ass for about 50 foot!
Talk about road rash!:(

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back