Nitro Crew Chief with both TF and FC Titles (1 Viewer)

TAFC 5 81

Nitro Member
I read on Bernie Fedderly's bio that he is one of two crew chiefs (Dale Armstrong the other) with Championships in both TF and FC. Wouldn't Leonard Hughes make that club (TF in 1976 with Tharp and FC in 1984 with Oswald)?

I don't buy the Fedderly thing. He is a very smart guy and earns every cent he makes at JFR, but Coil is and always has been the CC for Force's championships.

Whos kidding who here?? Bernie Fedderly is clearly competent and accomplished enough to take claim for this. Plus if you look on Forces site he is listed as a Crew Chief and I have no doubt he would be capable of doing great things without Austin Coil around. Together they become a super power.

Did anyone notice that both of the two mentioned...Armstrong and Fedderly are both Canadian?? Just a neat fact I thought stood out!:D

Whos kidding who here?? Bernie Fedderly is clearly competent and accomplished enough to take claim for this.:D

No doubt Fedderly is competent and accomplished, as I stated in my original post on this thread. But think about this: Coil has 16 rings (two with Hawley and 14 with Force). How many do you think Force would have without Coil? Coil is in a class by himself.

No doubt Fedderly is competent and accomplished, as I stated in my original post on this thread. But think about this: Coil has 16 rings (two with Hawley and 14 with Force). How many do you think Force would have without Coil? Coil is in a class by himself.

Unquestionably the greatest tuner of all time ...arguablly across any motorsport! But the topic was Fedderly and yes Force wouldnt have what he has without Coil, thats obvious - but he might not have a few championships at the end if it werent for Fedderly? Who really knows? If youve been there and seen how it works let me know...otherwise I say Fedderly deserves the title.

A lot of teams will be in trouble when some of the older crew chiefs start to retire. (Dick LaHaie) It seems to me, the Force team has a plan in mind. They seem to promote from within. I think the "Next Generation" deal was more then just a gimmick. Robert, Eric for drivers, and now Guido will be crew chief for Ashley. They could have went out and paid some huge $$ to bring in a top name crew chief for her, but they didn't. Look ten years ahead. I would assume John and Coil will both be retired. Jimmy Prock will still be bad ass, Medlen will probably still be there, plus Guido, and they just hired Kevin Poynter from what I heard too. JFR will be OK :cool:

Geez, are we splitting atoms here or what???

If my memory serves me correctly, back as late as 1991/92. Bernie Fedderly was one of the top 5 crew chiefs in the business. At the time, it was a major coup for John Force to hire him. Many thought it would never work between Fedderly and Coil...two very well accomplished crew chiefs working on the same car, with different personality's...well here they are, still going strong in 2006.

I'm curious how JFR will perform when Coil retires????

JFR will still be going strong and be a major contender for years. There 2nd or 3rd crew chiefs, hell some of the backups/sounding boards are better than some teams #1 tuner. I am pretty close to one person who works for JFR and I will just say this, there "info"structure there is unbelievable. Trust me, they will be around for a long time.

Geez, are we splitting atoms here or what???

If my memory serves me correctly, back as late as 1991/92. Bernie Fedderly was one of the top 5 crew chiefs in the business. At the time, it was a major coup for John Force to hire him. Many thought it would never work between Fedderly and Coil...two very well accomplished crew chiefs working on the same car, with different personality's...well here they are, still going strong in 2006.

Very well stated T.
All we have to do is consider the source of the negative comments and you'll see they aren't Force's most valued fans, shall we say. The saga continues day in and day out with the dislike some have for that team. They still wear the #1 and I'd venture to say, thanks to Bernie, they will wear a bunch of top numbers for a bunch of years!

You're right. Ace's gold Miller High Life car was very strong. I remember "The Ace" beat "Brute Force" at Indy around that same time to keep the points chase alive. Bernie's very very underrated by alot of people in my opinion. I think there's a tendency to overlook him & lump him in under Coil's "shadow". But if you know his history, he's a very talented tuner. He's probably the only person in drag racing... with all the multi car teams of today..... who I truly would like to see go back out on his own with a top-funded car. Because they would be lethal.

Isn't that basically what Dickie V did with Tony P? They have been impressive at times for sure, but the jury would have to still be out as far as how much Dickie V and how much was the "Brain Trust":)

I read on Bernie Fedderly's bio that he is one of two crew chiefs (Dale Armstrong the other) with Championships in both TF and FC. Wouldn't Leonard Hughes make that club (TF in 1976 with Tharp and FC in 1984 with Oswald)?
Just for the record, yes Leonard Hughes was actually the first one to accomplish the feat!;)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back