TF & FC Crew Chiefs at the starting line (1 Viewer)

NitroMustang65

Nitro Member
Hey all - got a question I've always wondered about: When a TF or FC car is at the starting line, after the burnout and they've back into launch position, what is it that the Crew Chief is doing with the snorkel intake? It's like he watches the other side to see if his opponent is going to do it first. What's he doing? Thanks for any info!

Hey all - got a question I've always wondered about: When a TF or FC car is at the starting line, after the burnout and they've back into launch position, what is it that the Crew Chief is doing with the snorkel intake? It's like he watches the other side to see if his opponent is going to do it first. What's he doing? Thanks for any info!
Adjusting the idle or idle fuel volume.

Blink... DUH!! LOL:D I thought everyone knew that...;) Sorry I know you are serious...:eek:

Last edited:
Blink... DUH!! LOL:D I thought everyone knew that...;) Sorry I know you are serious...:eek:

Thanks Ray, yeah count me as one of those NHRA fans who loves the sights and sounds and can trade the occasional historical play-by-play, but didn't know what the hell the CC was fiddling with there :eek: . I knew I'd find the answer here though!

Isn't there some kind of manual throttle stop the crew chief adjusts/removes to prevent the car from going to WOT on the burnout too?

Dave
It acually goes back to the late 1800's when the drivers would look over at eachother and point to one another to put it into the beams... It went like this, Garlits would point at Shirley and say, ladies first... Then shirley would give garlits the bird and say, age before beauty...:D Modern Day Now, and its a who blinks first from the Nitro fumes... Haven't you ever noticed that Lee Beard and AJ always wear's their Oakley's?? Even at night... Trust me...:eek:

Chris, The crew guy on the right hand side of the car is removing throttle stop. The crew chief is doing as Tony stated adjusting idle and fuel volume.

Chris, The crew guy on the right hand side of the car is removing throttle stop. The crew chief is doing as Tony stated adjusting idle and fuel volume.

Thanks Stacy! I knew there was a throttle stop in there somewhere ... I just figgered it would be the CC to remove it.

Dave
It acually goes back to the late 1800's when the drivers would look over at eachother and point to one another to put it into the beams... It went like this, Garlits would point at Shirley and say, ladies first... Then shirley would give garlits the bird and say, age before beauty...:D Modern Day Now, and its a who blinks first from the Nitro fumes... Haven't you ever noticed that Lee Beard and AJ always wear's their Oakley's?? Even at night... Trust me...:eek:

Thats pretty good Ray! :D :)

I remember for a while, (Seems like this was in the late eighties.) the teams were having problems keeping the engine running after the burnout. So the crewmember who had the job of directing the driver back to the line also had the job of carrying a squirt bottle of alcohol. They'd try and time their arrival right as the car came to a stop after the burnout. I remember the engines would come to a near stop if they didn't put a little juice into the bug catcher. I think someone here told me it was a combination of the fuel pumps and barrel valves in use at the time. It didn't seem to happen to all the teams.

The reason I remember is that at Brainerd one year, the crewmember went to hop over the wall after the car came to a stop, and caught his foot on the way over. Did a monster face plant, :eek: and the car died, iffen these soaked brain cells are working right. The guy got a huge ovation from the crowd. Don't remember the driver or team.

I remember for a while, (Seems like this was in the late eighties.) the teams were having problems keeping the engine running after the burnout. So the crewmember who had the job of directing the driver back to the line also had the job of carrying a squirt bottle of alcohol. They'd try and time their arrival right as the car came to a stop after the burnout. I remember the engines would come to a near stop if they didn't put a little juice into the bug catcher. I think someone here told me it was a combination of the fuel pumps and barrel valves in use at the time. It didn't seem to happen to all the teams.

I would think it would've been more of a fuel tank baffle problem, but I'm no expert.

I remember vividly watching on TV this happening to Muldowney on a burnout. Probably the early 80's. The motor went lean & Tobler had the bottle but couldn't get to it fast enough because she was backing up so fast. I guess it was during elims; the motor died & they gave up the round. I remember he threw the bottle to the pavement in anger and the top came off, splattering fuel everywhere. Which would probably a fine in today's world.

Dave
I doubt Big was racing in the late 1800s:D

Jay

Yes Tony, you are an expert so don't try and fool the kids:D . The tank baffle comment was exactly correct. When the driver puts on the brakes at the end of the burnout the fuel runs away from the pickup without the baffles. We learned that the hard way when we first started doing burnouts with fuel cars. Proper venting and baffles seem to have made that problem a thing of the distant past.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back