NHRA's TV Ratings??? (1 Viewer)

Darr Hawthorne's back with the numbers, I must say I was stunned that Indy's Ratings were nearly double every other race in '06!

Maybe they were trying to get a look at some really famous people...

dsc0399uf4.jpg

..........hey Joe, are you coming up to Seattle this year.

I doubt it Steve, the airfares to Sea-tac have gotten insane! When I went up in '05 I had to use one of my Free SW Tix cause the Airfare was around $600! :eek: When I was going up in '98-00 it was like $240 Maybe?

Last edited:
Help me remember, but why in the world are the 2002 numbers so high? If I recall, the TV package is similar to what it is today.

The reral comparison would be which shows had Marty Reid and which ones had Paul Page. That might send a message to the ESPN brass that bringing Paul Page on full time next season is a bad move.

Can the difference in avearge # of viewer be explained by NO QUALIFYING show in 2002 or 2003? I just don't remember but, if you're spreading viewers over 2 hours versus 4 or 6 it's going to skew things.

If you recall they used to show Friday night qualifying back in 2002.

I still wonder why they wouldn't show the best qualifying session in the qualifying show? Sometimes the Saturday qualifying sessions can be pretty lame especially when the heat comes into play.

They have the cameras rolling anyway. Just never figured out why they dropped that session

If you recall they used to show Friday night qualifying back in 2002.

I still wonder why they wouldn't show the best qualifying session in the qualifying show? Sometimes the Saturday qualifying sessions can be pretty lame especially when the heat comes into play.

They have the cameras rolling anyway. Just never figured out why they dropped that session

What do you think if they showed it out of order. never saying what day/time qualifing happens but end the show with the friday night qualifing.
It would have the excitement of people jumping into spots and such. Sure the story is told out of order but maybe that would work???

this is from the Joyce Julius & Assoc. website - it appears to be subscriber
based, but there is a good bit of information available.

Valvoline's decision to sign on with Don Schumacher Racing just in time for the NHRA U.S. Nationals in Indianapolis last month paid off handsomely for the motor oil brand. The multiple-car operation was largely responsible for supplying Valvoline (along with subsidiaries Zerex and Pyroil) with 21:01 of exposure time and 21 verbal references, good for $456,380 of comparable exposure value. In comparison, Valvoline earned just $132,230 during the 2005 broadcast of the U.S. Nationals.

Four things occur to me as I read this thread:
1) Paul Page.
2) It could be worse. Why does Ted Jones yell constantly on IDR? Is the racing not exciting enough?
3) NHRA broadcasts are not promoted on ESPN's channels nor on the mother ship, ABC. (Idea: let's invite former Prez Bill Clinton to stand at the starting line - then George Snuffleupagas would mention it on "This Week" - or whatever they are calling that execrable program now. - Apologies to George Will.)
4) The NHRA is paying the freight for the broadcasts; they should insist on more air time for the sponsored Pro's who are, as they say, struggling. It is upon those sponsors that the future of the NHRA depends.
Good discussion. Thanks for letting me chime in.
Cheers,
Ed

I don't believe Ted Jones has anything over Paul Page. Godbless Ted Jones but he had coverage from the PRI show clear until the following JULY! I Don't want to rip the man or his show so I'll stop it right there! But. I'll take Paul Page over Ted Jones any day.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back