Perhaps Comp plus was right from the start! (1 Viewer)

Tim5636sc

Nitro Member
If you think all is well in the world of the NHRA, all you had to do was watch ESPN2 on either Saturday or Sunday, when NHRA diehard Don "The Snake" Prudhomme even had some strong things to say about the way things are being done.

Maybe you think "Snake" was wrong, but there are more and more people willing to speak their minds on the issues. Jeff Wolf is just the latest newspaper writer to suggest that changes need to be made. His column can be reached at:

ReviewJournal.com - Sports - JEFF WOLF: NHRA drags feet with failure to reduce speeds

If that's not enough, how about this blast from Darr Hawthorne:

::: Drag Racing Online ::: View from the Left Coast - WTF Were You Guys in Glendora Thinking? - 07/10/08

.... another one... Perhaps From Mr. Asher?? Perhaps Mr. Asher was right to begin with!

Drag Racing Internet Magazine - Competition Plus.com - UP FRONT - ITS TIME FOR A COMPLETE HOUSE CLEANING AT NHRA

also, why is it that everytime CompPlus writes a story they always have to put in there the NHRA declined to comment. I know for a fact I overheard Bobby B. arguing with the NHRA media folks about getting to talk to Graham. He was giving them the business too.

Timmah!

....also, why is it that everytime CompPlus writes a story they always have to put in there the NHRA declined to comment. I know for a fact I overheard Bobby B. arguing with the NHRA media folks about getting to talk to Graham. He was giving them the business too.

Timmah!

It is probably because journalists are supposed to be impartial. They are supposed to give both side of the story. So when one side declines comment they pus that in there. That way no one can say they did not try and get both sides.

A local columnist in Boston likes to say when he places a call to get a comment and has to leave a message for a call back that he knows will not come. "When the phone doesn't ring I will know it is him." I have a feeling Bobby B feels the same way at times.

It is probably because journalists are supposed to be impartial........

Not always. Do not confuse "journalists" with "reporters."

"Reporters" are supposed to be impartial, although to tell you the truth, I find it hard to believe ANYONE who is a human being can do that, no matter the political persuasion, "conservative" or "liberal." Your life experiences are going to color your view of events.

"Columnists" or "Journalists," on the other hand, are free to write with what ever slant they want. It doesn't matter if you agree with their point of view or not.

The distinction is important.

If you think all is well in the world of the NHRA, all you had to do was watch ESPN2 on either Saturday or Sunday, when NHRA diehard Don "The Snake" Prudhomme even had some strong things to say about the way things are being done.

Maybe you think "Snake" was wrong, but there are more and more people willing to speak their minds on the issues. Jeff Wolf is just the latest newspaper writer to suggest that changes need to be made.

Tim - Jeff has been a friend for over 20 years and he has no fear of calling a spade a spade. I would bet his conclusions were drawn from talking to racers (trust me, he has known all the players for a long time), not NHRA suits.
If Compton has a role in leading the NHRA, it's certainly not evident. I hope the new safety group is effective and that someone brings Dale's ideas (that were apparently rejected 10 years ago) to the table. If not, the future looks pretty bleak.

"Reporters" are supposed to be impartial, although to tell you the truth, I find it hard to believe ANYONE who is a human being can do that, no matter the political persuasion, "conservative" or "liberal." Your life experiences are going to color your view of events.

"Columnists" or "Journalists," on the other hand, are free to write with what ever slant they want. It doesn't matter if you agree with their point of view or not.

VERY well said! - Jim

Some great points, and I bet Jeff Wolfe has gottom his his name underlined at least 10 more times as "persona non grata"

I think Snake's comments were aimed at the sport in general and not just the teams or the organization. What he said was nothing shocking it's what we've all known for a while now.

I know columnists are prett much free to write what they want but according to the Society of Professional Journalists they are to "Seek Truth and Report It" it goes on to say that the "duty of the journalist is to further those ends by seeking truth and providing a fair and comprehensive account of events and issues."

Society of Professional Journalists: Code of Ethics

I do agree that it is tough for anyone to be 100% impartial. Especially when it involves somthing they love.

I guess I'd differ a bit on that, not that it really makes much difference. Columnists, reporters and even photographers fall under the umbrella of being journalists. Depending on what type of journalism you're practicing, you may be free to give your own opinions, or maybe not. I do agree though, that being completely impartial or neutral is close to impossible. Even if the article on its face is neutral, the selection of the topic can speak volumes about the bias or feeling of the guy writing the story.

Maybe you think "Snake" was wrong, but there are more and more people willing to speak their minds on the issues. Jeff Wolf is just the latest newspaper writer to suggest that changes need to be made.

Tim - Jeff has been a friend for over 20 years and he has no fear of calling a spade a spade. I would bet his conclusions were drawn from talking to racers (trust me, he has known all the players for a long time), not NHRA suits.
If Compton has a role in leading the NHRA, it's certainly not evident. I hope the new safety group is effective and that someone brings Dale's ideas (that were apparently rejected 10 years ago) to the table. If not, the future looks pretty bleak.

Maybe...Just Maybe...did snake sign a contract stipulating 1320 AND not 1000 ft. Action would be provided. Easy to say...(Luv DP!) Snake is pissed he has to change his proposals.---Give'm to Ali Dixon...she'll get you the loot.
Nobody handles a birthday / pool party like her. - sponsorship...someone no prob!!!!! if it was only so easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was watching that pitside interview they did with larry dixon where he talks about being a purist and wanted back 1320 feet and at the end of the interview the interviewer said the fans seem to be enjoying 1000ft , and the look on larry dixons face just had this "were you listening to what I just said" look about it

Tim,

Thanks for reading my column, it was written as my Opinion with no counterpoint necessary. I saw a missed, positive PR opportunity and called it as I saw it, NHRA thought announcing the 2009 schedule was more important than the Purse raise of $1.3 Million. I don't see it that way.

Thanks again,

Darr

What is so hilarious about this, and threads just like it is everyone has a beef with NHRA.

And then you go pay admission / entry fee / tee shirts / diecasts, and on and on.

If it sucks so bad, why do you continue to support it?

Seriously, the daily NHRA sucks, Compton and "Dim" Light (thats my favorite) bashing threads get really old.

Greg Moon Re: Perhaps Comp plus was right from the start!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is so hilarious about this, and threads just like it is everyone has a beef with NHRA.

And then you go pay admission / entry fee / tee shirts / diecasts, and on and on.

Seriously, the daily NHRA sucks, Compton and "Dim" Light (thats my favorite) bashing threads get really old.

It sure sounds like you have your finger on the pulse of this thread.:rolleyes: If it insults you so, why do you participate. Darr, Jon and Bobby are just calling it the way THEY see it and reporting it.

Greg Moon Re: Perhaps Comp plus was right from the start!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It sure sounds like you have your finger on the pulse of this thread.:rolleyes: If it insults you so, why do you participate. Darr, Jon and Bobby are just calling it the way THEY see it and reporting it.
The pulse of the thread is "NHRA sucks". It isn't the first, and it wont be the last on this board.

A couple of examples. The brunt of the fuel racers backed the 1000' rule. Not here. People sayin they are done, gonna boycott, yak yak yak. I'll take the racers word in that instance, not keyboard chiefs.

I see people on here gush over a team owner that has teams that get caught cheating and booted from an event and that somehow turns into NHRA sucks, their scales are wrong.

They also gushed over a sponsor that left racers high and dry, but I guess they really havent figured out how to blame that on Compton and Light, but I have no doubt attempts were made.

How many people that are howling the loudest on this board A: Own a pro team, or B: Drive for one?

Answer: not many, if any.

If NHRA sucks so bad, why keep supporting them? Go to an IHRA event instead.

Some people just want to complain about something I spose.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back