Want good drag racing tv?? Hire Dean Papadeas. (1 Viewer)

good article....enjoyed it the first time i read....and the second.
even the tom compton jab @ the end :)

That was a good read. His reaction to the Snake/Mongoose movie was pretty tepid.
I also found interesting his opinion that drag racing has no business attempting live TV shows. I agree with him on that.

The thing I find most lacking on today's TV show is the lack of the visceral impact that drag racing has. The way it's shown now, NONE of that impact comes across.

He addresses that issue on multiple questions.

I have a lot of those main event videos, and I personally preferred the Diamond P way better. Diamond P used to do the same "in your face" shots as well. I think ESPN did for a while also. I recall hearing that the NHRA does not allow ESPN camera men on foot on the starting line anymore. That's why they have that stationary camera in the middle and do mostly long shots from the fixed positions in the stands. I don't think they even use the boom cam anymore, which provided some good angles. Other shots you never see anymore.. the "in the track" cam mounted in the center line. The stationary "on the wall" cam mounted facing forward and rearward down the wall. The very tall crane cam that used to be suspended way in the air above the finish line. The sand trap cam looking straight up the track (RIP Scott Kalitta) and if you've followed the sport long enough you'd know the tracks at Gainesville, Dallas, Atlanta, Sonoma, Denver, and Brainerd all swapped sides of the track to view from. I guess when you have 1,320 feet to cover, there are only so many different ways and angles to do it in. I always thought Diamond P did it well with the 300 foot cam right next to the wall, a half track cam, a finish line cam, and a turn off/shut down cam. Having 2 different finish lines now is a pain because you have to have a 1,000 foot cam and a 1,320 foot cam to be able to show the finish of the race. I'm not sure how heavy those HD cameras are either compared to the old SD cameras. I would think lots of advances in technology have been made. Hell look at the video quality from some of those mini GoPro cameras!

The thing I find most lacking on today's TV show is the lack of the visceral impact that drag racing has. The way it's shown now, NONE of that impact comes across.

BINGO.

I have a lot of those main event videos, and I personally preferred the Diamond P way better. Diamond P used to do the same "in your face" shots as well.

I totally agree! I much preferred the Diamond P format filming style. Yeah, I remember when Dean hit the scene, and his "film amongst the firing headers" swinging camera shots were unique and new, the fact is, it's artistic, and does show off the beauty of a race car, but does little for actually watching a race, following the action, and getting a "feel" for what is transpiring. His films would always revert to standard filming format when showing the cars going down the strip, often times with a jarring change in quality that sort of jerked you out of the moment. There's only so many ways you can show a straight line race, and adding cameras to starters heads, and the heads of the person who drives the ATV that pushes the car off the track is just desperation. My favorite shots are the long shots....end of the track, looking back up towards the starting line. It's unique, very seldom seen, but seeing the cars move, and then a moment later hearing them roar mirrored the sensation of thunder and lightning for me. Not to mention the eerie Doppler effect magnified by the speed of the approaching cars. Then seeing the chutes blossom as the cars bounced to a slow roll....yup.

I say, until they get a steam catapult that launches a camera on a rail alongside the track at the same acceleration as the cars, they have to deal with the fact that they should just make the cars the stars, and get back to basics instead of relying on the feeding of the socialmediablogosphere drama machine

I do agree Diamond P was fantastic, love Diamond P footage. But I must give credit to Dean Papadeas, his videos introduced me to nitro racing. I am about as big into the racing side of the sport as you can get and just in my oppinion I think having someone like Dean doing the broadcasts would make a big difference.

I do agree Diamond P was fantastic, love Diamond P footage. But I must give credit to Dean Papadeas, his videos introduced me to nitro racing. I am about as big into the racing side of the sport as you can get and just in my oppinion I think having someone like Dean doing the broadcasts would make a big difference.
I don't want ART... What ESPN is doing now is great... Harvey M.'s Diamond P was fantastic... and I had never heard of Mr. Papadeas until today nor his videos...

I don't want ART... What ESPN is doing now is great... Harvey M.'s Diamond P was fantastic... and I had never heard of Mr. Papadeas until today nor his videos...

Ok here is Deans website if you go on here you can find his videos all priced for a few dollars and you download them. Believe me it is not "Art"
http://maineventvideos.com/

Diamond P was fantastic incredible awesome, but it is not around anymore unfortunatly. Believe me nothing I enjoy more then watching old drag racing coverage with Dave Mac and Steve Evens those broadcasts with them were fantastic.

Ok here is Deans website if you go on here you can find his videos all priced for a few dollars and you download them. Believe me it is not "Art"
http://maineventvideos.com/

Diamond P was fantastic incredible awesome, but it is not around anymore unfortunatly. Believe me nothing I enjoy more then watching old drag racing coverage with Dave Mac and Steve Evens those broadcasts with them were fantastic.

You're right.... it's a.d.d. seen his stuff, just didn't hook a name to it... and NO, would not want to watch this person do the same day broadcast coverage...

d'kid

I do agree with my ol' buddy Karl about that not being the way to cover an entire broadcast, but maybe some elements of that style could be mixed in to add some spice? It may not be the best way to cover a race overall, but it's sure some exciting, adrenaline generating footage that is really fun to watch!

ESPN try to spice things up with their 'sounds of the strip', but the problem is they've taken away the boom camera and all start-line cameramen in favour of the swivelling remote camera in the middle of the lanes behind the start line. To me, the ESPN show is good, and I like some of the new features that they tried for the Pomona broadcast, but as far as entertainment goes, Main Event's style has got them beat. The ESPN show is super-sanitised by comparison.

ESPN try to spice things up with their 'sounds of the strip', but the problem is they've taken away the boom camera and all start-line cameramen in favour of the swivelling remote camera in the middle of the lanes behind the start line. To me, the ESPN show is good, and I like some of the new features that they tried for the Pomona broadcast, but as far as entertainment goes, Main Event's style has got them beat. The ESPN show is super-sanitised by comparison.

Hate to say it, but I think it was the right move. Someone on this site has posted a number of times about the starting line being too crowded and the folkswho actually showed up at the race get a view of photographer's backsides and I am in total agreement. Yes, that huge crane made for some good TV shots, but then there you have it. There's a huge crane at the starting line, blocking the view. So as far as that's concerned, I'll agree with their choice to ditch it.

Back in the 80s I published an in house racing magazine "Fast Times". I reviewed Main Events Rockin Racing and said "It takes you places your admission ticket won't" He quotes that in the article and calls me a Media Critic.

After that came out, a box arrived from Main Event with every tape they had made up until that time.

Dean is cool people.

I'm always inspired by Papadeas, These 3 videos had me doing the low to the ground shots for the burnouts once I got off the tripod

Unfortuately I can't do that anymore unless I get a camera that can handle filming closer as mine has problems because it's a Hard Drive Camera "Unable to Read Hard Drive" pops up at random times when I film close, even from the bottom of the Bleachers (as done a couple times during last year's LODRS event at Englishtown). Not to mention RP has prohibited me from filming on the starting line

Unfortuately I can't do that anymore unless I get a camera that can handle filming closer as mine has problems because it's a Hard Drive Camera "Unable to Read Hard Drive" pops up at random times when I film close, even from the bottom of the Bleachers (as done a couple times during last year's LODRS event at Englishtown).

Solid State HD is a dream come true for extreme environment filming. Nitro cars setting off car alarms is always a nice way to put it in perspective, or that one youtube clip where the camera is watching a water bottle (or soda, can't remember) sitting on a bleacher seat as the cars go by. Wild. These are the kinds of things that make people understand what Nitro cars feel like when they're running. Before that, the best I could do was tell friends that if you wear shorts in the pits, the throttle whack makes the hairs on your legs flatten out. I don't say this to my female friends for obvious reasons, not that it doesn't apply to some :)

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back