NHRA TV-Friday-Huh? (1 Viewer)

The announcing and show was the worst representation of what we want our sport to be. They can't possibly put it on FOX, their ratings will drop into the toilet and the people will not come back. Politics and racism are not acceptable. Billy Meyer should be imbarased but probably not - it's Texas.
I didn't watch, I have heard that it devolved into political talk, but what was said or done that was racist?

Texas Congressman is there and he got on the mic and voiced his displeasure with the hot button topics in today’s society. Started a chant about the President.

Also the clown they had for entertainment had some political comments as well.
Let's go, Brandon?

This was sad! Turned off NHRA.TV I rather spend the weekend in a Turkish prison, then watch that S%#t.
Only thing that was missing was someone getting married to there cousin on the starting line.
Billy Meyer still must be high on the mushrooms he took at Irwindale Raceway back in the mid 70's

Good for NHRA they didn't post one picture of Meyer's backwoods carnival S&#t show

Last edited:
I did not subscribe to NHRA.TV this year because I have been disappointed with it in the past. Before this race I was seriously considering re-upping for a another year or maybe just subscribing for this race because the fields looked good and thought qualifying might be fun to watch. Now I am glad I did not. NHRA has NEVER been serious about making something worthwhile out of NHRA.TV and apparently it is only getting worse.

I did not subscribe to NHRA.TV this year because I have been disappointed with it in the past. Before this race I was seriously considering re-upping for a another year or maybe just subscribing for this race because the fields looked good and thought qualifying might be fun to watch. Now I am glad I did not. NHRA has NEVER been serious about making something worthwhile out of NHRA.TV and apparently it is only getting worse.
This thread has nothing to do with NHRA TV (which has been great this year) Please read the thread, and you'll see that it is about the show the Motorplex put on. You can not fault NHRA TV for that.

Roger,

NHRA.tv has been excellent this year. I’m not sure whose choice it was to put Wes Buck and Al Tucci in the announcer booth but the biggest part of the crap show is on the Texas Motorplex.

Yeah. NHRA.TV has been great this year. Can't fault them for that goofy s**t yesterday. I was excited to see something new with this race but they got too drunk on their own kool-aid yesterday. I'm sure the NHRA aren't too thrilled and will learn from it to keep the spectacle neutral and not potentially alienate.

Some guy (I think he is an elected offical in Texas) got on the mic and started ripping the current administration. Before that there was a guy telling jokes who made a few about Biden. I personally don't care, but not everyone is like me, some people get really pissed about this kind of stuff. Anytime you're in the entertainment business, you don't want to do anything that could cause you to lose fan/sponsor support. If Marcus was listening, I bet he wasn't a fan.

I was watching the show and was proud that Billy was at least trying something new. But when this governor said throw away your vaccine card, I was disgusted and turned it off. Drag races are no place for making statements like that.
Regardless of your opinion of the vaccine, keep it to yourself. This is drag racing, not a political rally.

Some guy (I think he is an elected offical in Texas) got on the mic and started ripping the current administration. Before that there was a guy telling jokes who made a few about Biden. I personally don't care, but not everyone is like me, some people get really pissed about this kind of stuff. Anytime you're in the entertainment business, you don't want to do anything that could cause you to lose fan/sponsor support. If Marcus was listening, I bet he wasn't a fan.
I doubt marcus was listening,he hasnt even been to the races lol

My girlfriend said "Well, this sure does make me appreciate the other announcer. Even he's not as annoying as these guys". 😁 Too funny. Alan, I'll never complain about you again either!

I am so sick of all the political rhetoric. I about fell out of my chair when that guy started yapping. I'm no Bidet fan, but I did not need that diatribe inserted in my drag racing viewing.

I don't mind Costello, but talk about a screamer. I have to sit with my finger on the volume button because he's so loud.

The delays were a mess. I actually left and came back and couldn't believe the live show was still live.

But, look at all the racing I've already been able to watch this morning. Makes up for all the negatives. I love watching all the different classes.

That was almost impossible to suffer through. It was like the cars going down the track were just a side show to stupid spectacle, horrendous music, screaming announcers and best of all, the politician exhorting the crowd to take their vaccination cards and stuff them and then leading them in an anti administration chant. Truly special...and not in a good way.

My girlfriend said "Well, this sure does make me appreciate the other announcer. Even he's not as annoying as these guys". 😁 Too funny. Alan, I'll never complain about you again either!

I am so sick of all the political rhetoric. I about fell out of my chair when that guy started yapping. I'm no Bidet fan, but I did not need that diatribe inserted in my drag racing viewing.

I don't mind Costello, but talk about a screamer. I have to sit with my finger on the volume button because he's so loud.

The delays were a mess. I actually left and came back and couldn't believe the live show was still live.

But, look at all the racing I've already been able to watch this morning. Makes up for all the negatives. I love watching all the different classes.
Joe Castello? I thought it was AL Tucci? Joe doesn't seem like the screamer type.

Uh, do you not watch NHRA.TV? Everytime they go to him, I have to crank down the volume. The guy screams constantly.
Uh, yes I do. Considering that he's usually around engines getting cranked up and rolling into the burnout box, maybe he has to raise his voice. Sorry. But I don't notice it.

I didn't watch, I have heard that it devolved into political talk, but what was said or done that was racist?
I worked for a Fortune 500 company for 37 years and our Employee Relations Dept handled all the race, sexual harassment, discrimination, work place harassment and other problem areas and followed up on all the problems and after research made the determination if they were valid or not. If the complant was valid the offending employee was terminated.
Numerous times last night comments were made by the announcers and others that fall directly into the categories and the employees would have been terminated. I will not elaborate on what they were as it isn't appropriate on this forum. It doesn't make any difference whether it is done seriously or as a joke, it's all the same.

Tonight was interesting to say the least. I like the fact they tried something new, some of it was cool and seemed to work and some of it was a dud but give credit to those who tried to think outside of the box.

My personal opinion on tonight, it was ok. Obviously very different from the norm but I did not personally hate it. I think what Wes Buck and Al Tucci did is better suited and translates better to a live (in-house) audience. As far as the screaming, they are use to pumping up the fans in house but I understand some will like it and some will hate it so I'm pretty impartial to it. The one thing that drove me nuts but was fixed about halfway through was no mention of the times other than who ever had the lower e.t. of the two and I think a few pair there was no mention of times and speeds at all. I think the light show/smoke show coming from under the tower was neat but could have been much cooler if each team rolled out to an introduction of sorts kind of like what was done during the Friday night shows pre-covid. The one thing I was absolutely against was the political stuff/jokes that were brought up. With how divisive politics are the last things our sports need to do is to possibly alienate fans who may have different beliefs. Even though Im sure the split is probably 90/10 you do not want to piss off that ten percent, it is why I believe politics and sports should not mix no matter which side is involved.

I thought the "comedian" clown was a bit over the top and cheesy as hell even though some of the jokes were funny I dont feel like that fit in with drag racing but again thats my opinion.

Im sure there is more I forgot about since that went on for a loooooonnnnnnnggggg time, I literally completed an oil change on my truck during the cleanup from Morrison's boomer with plenty of time to spare. But to quickly sum it up, I applaud NHRA, Billy Meyer etc for trying something new and thinking outside of the box, with some tweaking it might be a cool deal, should it happen every race no but once a year show along these lines might be fun, just leave the politics out of the show.
Drag racing has no intelligent place for politics. Bo Butner never understood that!!

Here is a link for contact info for the Texas Motorplex: https://texasmotorplex.com/contact/
and NHRA: https://www.nhra.com/contact-us
I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't watch NHRA TV. But you know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. So start squeaking...

And please remember to be respectful.
Using profanity and strong language probably won't get listened to.
Treat people how you would like to be treated, and you may get a response.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back