Phoenix-Momentum Continues (1 Viewer)

TopFuel@Lions

Nitro Member
After a good Winternationals a week later "our" racers are at it at Firebird...whoops Wildhorse.

My Friday Thoughts
The quality of the 3 Pro fields seems so high end with each run so far serious.
The track was sweet, had bite, great weather to drag race.
The Top Fuel crew chiefs in my view were way too cautious except AJ and Tatum's folks.
Funny Car was outstanding for the most part.
Pro Stock is now hard-core cut throat competition.
Alan's call thruout the Pro session may have been the most informative, accurate call on many fronts, fantastic job Alan, this comes from a fellow racing announcer. You description of possible tire growth on the Pro stock cars then the wheelie bar adjustments was stellar as well as the Supercharger being lubed by oil.
The sound on NHRA.TV was excellent as well as the various camera angles, job well done.
The Pro session despite the orange block deal from the surf dude was run off in a timely manner, good job.
Seeing the picture of Cliff warmed my heart as I have understood he has had some health issues, yo go boy and enjoy!
Nice crowd too.

Now on to Today! Light em up!

TopFuel@Lions

I was surprised to see that there were so many tire smokers in the 1st Q of Top Fuel and Funny Car. Especially since many of those same cars were at the test session at this track a few short weeks ago. What is your take on this, Mark? Was the track temp too low?

Thanks Mark. I did pretty good at the track, didn't use my inhaler once. Whoop! Just my 2 cents for Jon. The track was great for final T/F, but to make a good run, tuners had to be aggressive. I agree with Mark that the tuners were too cautious. The track did get a bit colder, but look at Doug's run. 3.65 was knocking it out of the park. Be curious today if someone can beat that time, cuz it will be a bit warmer in temp & track surface should be a bit warmer also. I think the high for today (Sat) will be 69 and then low 70'as race day. This is cool weather for Phoenix; have seen it a lot hotter this time of year.

I was surprised to see that there were so many tire smokers in the 1st Q of Top Fuel and Funny Car. Especially since many of those same cars were at the test session at this track a few short weeks ago. What is your take on this, Mark? Was the track temp too low?
Because testin' is testin' and racin' is racin'.

What exactly does that mean? There were many full pulls (minimal tire smokers) during the Phoenix test sessions - many more then we normally see in test sessions.
Because testing is a controlled environment. You can run whenever you want to and as many times as you want to. If you want to adjust something, you can take your sweet a$$ time and do it. There aren't hundreds of other types of cars going down the track with different tire compounds. You don't have hundreds of other cars screwing up starting line.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back