NHRA TV-Friday-Huh? (1 Viewer)

Turned it on at the start of the Pro Stock Bikes, what is the deal?

A. Cannot hear the bikes or the Pro Stock cars.
B. Who are these 2 blabbermouths who talk over the cars during burn outs and runs.
C. The awful overbearing music.
D. Where is Alan?
E. Can the 2 horrible announcers give the E.T's in a timely manner?

First time ever for a Friday night nitro session, I am out and going to a race instead.
Major joke and I am a half full glass guy but this is some bad product. Off to my local drag strip.

TopFuel@Lions
10:23 and still waiting for top fuel. This is a joke and Billy Meyer you should be ashamed. Do you even have 500 people in the stands? THIS MUSIC IS RIDICULOUS!

I just watched the politician. Holy crap, that was worse than I expected.
I don’t care what side of politics you are on, that was cringe and totally out of place for a major sporting association. A very bad look for everyone involved, and potentially toxic to sponsors.
It’s no secret that our sport leans one way politically, but there is zero to be gained from alienating half the country. What an embarrassment.
And that half includes me!

The drivers left to run need the to be told the next oil down is going to cost $100,000 for making this thing drag out any longer than it has to.

I love drag racing. I race, my kids race, I’ve been around it my entire life. I’ve been lucky enough to do some things only a handful of people have done at the National Event level.

My love for the sport is the only thing that keeps me watching this. I understand sometimes you need to try new things to get new people excited about your product but man… this was a swing and a miss. I’ll just leave it at that. Just my opinion.

Fire the next pair, and soon please. Also, get Alan back up there.

Last edited:
Oildowns are going to happen. Brainerd 1990, Saturday's first nitro session lasted three hours and the weather was COLD that day.

The announcers and music sucks, bottom line.

The drivers left to run need the to be told the next oil down is going to cost $100,000 for making this thing drag out any longer than it has to.

I love drag racing. I race, my kids race, I’ve been around it my entire life. I’ve been lucky enough to do some things only a handful of people have done at the National Event level.

My love for the sport is the only thing keeping me watching this. I understand sometimes you need to try new things to get new people excited about your product but man… this was a swing and a miss. I’ll just leave it at that.

Fire the next pair, and soon please. Also, get Alan back up there.
ALAN, I TAKE BACK EVERY NEGATIVE THING I HAVE EVER SAID ABOUT YOU! IM SORRY!!I WOULD ABSOLUTELY GIVE ANYTHING TO HEAR YOUR VOICE RIGHT NOW!! These inane 10 second clips from a stupid wannabe are giving me, and the rest of America a headache. WE PAID FOR THIS!! STFU!!

I will never complain about only 3 qualifying rounds again. BTW, Alan is working starting line on Fox.

Oildowns are going to happen. Brainerd 1990, Saturday's first nitro session lasted three hours and the weather was COLD that day.

The announcers and music sucks, bottom line.
Yes, and on that fateful day in 1990 we could peacefully listen to the dually trucks going up and down the track with guys pushing around rice hull ash with brooms. I’d take that.

Last edited:
These last 2 oil downs were long as F. I am pretty sure I would have bailed if I was there.

Instead of this ridiculous music just put HEROIN by LOU REED on and end our misery. I’m assuming that NHRA traded away the announcer’s for the extra money the track put up to sit on the ridiculous saddle. IF YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN ILL BE CANCELING MY SUBSCRIPTION!! This session started before 7:00 CST. ITS 11:18. Completely unacceptable!
ALAN, I TAKE BACK EVERY NEGATIVE THING I HAVE EVER SAID ABOUT YOU! IM SORRY!!I WOULD ABSOLUTELY GIVE ANYTHING TO HEAR YOUR VOICE RIGHT NOW!! These inane 10 second clips from a stupid wannabe are giving me, and the rest of America a headache. WE PAID FOR THIS!! STFU

Tonight was interesting to say the least. I like the fact they tried something new, some of it was cool and seemed to work and some of it was a dud but give credit to those who tried to think outside of the box.

My personal opinion on tonight, it was ok. Obviously very different from the norm but I did not personally hate it. I think what Wes Buck and Al Tucci did is better suited and translates better to a live (in-house) audience. As far as the screaming, they are use to pumping up the fans in house but I understand some will like it and some will hate it so I'm pretty impartial to it. The one thing that drove me nuts but was fixed about halfway through was no mention of the times other than who ever had the lower e.t. of the two and I think a few pair there was no mention of times and speeds at all. I think the light show/smoke show coming from under the tower was neat but could have been much cooler if each team rolled out to an introduction of sorts kind of like what was done during the Friday night shows pre-covid. The one thing I was absolutely against was the political stuff/jokes that were brought up. With how divisive politics are the last things our sports need to do is to possibly alienate fans who may have different beliefs. Even though Im sure the split is probably 90/10 you do not want to piss off that ten percent, it is why I believe politics and sports should not mix no matter which side is involved.

I thought the "comedian" clown was a bit over the top and cheesy as hell even though some of the jokes were funny I dont feel like that fit in with drag racing but again thats my opinion.

Im sure there is more I forgot about since that went on for a loooooonnnnnnnggggg time, I literally completed an oil change on my truck during the cleanup from Morrison's boomer with plenty of time to spare. But to quickly sum it up, I applaud NHRA, Billy Meyer etc for trying something new and thinking outside of the box, with some tweaking it might be a cool deal, should it happen every race no but once a year show along these lines might be fun, just leave the politics out of the show.

Instead of this ridiculous music just put HEROIN by LOU REED on and end our misery. I’m assuming that NHRA traded away the announcer’s for the extra money the track put up to sit on the ridiculous saddle. IF YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN ILL BE CANCELING MY SUBSCRIPTION!! This session started before 7:00 CST. ITS 11:18. Completely unacceptable!
While the show was.....interesting, it had nothing to do with how long it ran. two funny car fires and two massive oildowns are what turned the show into a four hour ordeal. Cant blame that on anyone or anything except that pesky nitromethane

I’m all for trying new things, but there are so many examples of how to properly execute live sports events in the market that there is no need to reinvent the wheel. With the resources the NHRA has there is no excuse to put on a show like we saw tonight. All you have to do is attend practically any major league sports game to see how it should be done.
I’m normally very much on the side of letting tracks experiment, and have a lot of leeway for interesting entertainment that diehard fans might criticize, but tonight was an amateur, woeful effort.

I was there and found the guys just as annoying in person as you all saw on TV! Very long oildowns in the first two pairs of TF Q2 were unfortunate. Luckily they went smoothly after that. Got out about 11:15. Hopefully Saturday will be more "normal." Felt sorry for the Safety Safari-really long day for them and then back at it Saturday morning. Brit's run was pretty amazing!

I just watched the FOX telecast and it was totally different than NHRATV. Not nearly as much coverage but a whole lot better than what NHRATV showed.

Not sure what Billy Meyer had in mind but suspect even he would have been embarrassed by Friday night. I’m all for trying something new but what was that? Replacing one talking head with two at twice the volume shouting at the small crowd, a “comedian” who was more crap than clown, unwanted political statements and a DJ sound track that never stopped, even during pro qualifying runs! His never ending playlist even included the lyrics “I love Cocaine” on repeat and, by default, no race volume. The lights were however cool, the saddle was OK but if it wasn’t for Nitro qualifying at night, I would have bailed on NHRA.tv as this session was a total drag. NHRA and sponsors must have been embarrassed.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back