NHRA Mount Rushmore (1 Viewer)

StarLink Now $299

if you look at origins of sport and who helped to form it, it might just be one person. wally parks.
if we're trying for 4 people, just like rushmore, then i'd go parks / garlits / prudhomme / landy ...... drill large hole in rock, insert sequoia tree for cigar

If this is an NHRA Mt Rushmore and we're only talking pro classes, I think you need to pick one from each class.
Top Fuel is kind of easy. There are plenty of deserving drivers out there, and many have won more races and championships that my TF pick, but none have contributed to the evolution of the sport like Large Father. So, my Top Fuel is Don Garlits.
Funny Car is tough. Snake was absolutely dominate in the 70's, Bernstein in the 80's, but none have had the sustained dominance over multiple decades like Force has had. Again, several that are very deserving, but John Force is my funny car pick.
Pro Stock is interesting. Here again, there are several deserving drivers. however, if you look at the shear dominance of Bob Glidden in the 70's and 80's and take into consideration the amount of races he won and compare those number to todays drivers, he did it in an age were there were half as many national events. I can't think of anyone more dominate in their class for a sustained period of time that Bob Glidden.
Pro Stock Bike, I'm sure if you ask Matt Smith, he's choose himself and them complain about it. haha! This one is a little more tough just due to the age of the class. I'm guessing that someone may come along someday and be more deserving, but my nod would have to go to Dave Schultz.

Don Garlits, John Force, Bob Glidden and Dave Schultz.
Final answer.

Now, if we want to get into the sportsman side of things, that would be much more difficult conversation.
Excellent post by a youngster. Not going to do the math but not sure if you got to see Garlits, Glidden or Schultz race live on tv. I saw all of them live on tv and Schultz live at Memphis Motorsports Park. Back in the day........ Great picks Nate.

Excellent post by a youngster. Not going to do the math but not sure if you got to see Garlits, Glidden or Schultz race live on tv. I saw all of them live on tv and Schultz live at Memphis Motorsports Park. Back in the day........ Great picks Nate.
I can't remember if I ever saw Schultz, but the rest I've watched live in person. I'm on a short list of people that ever got to see SW31 go down the track and not in a heep in a museum

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back