FUNNY CAR MT. RUSHMORE (1 Viewer)

stitcherbob

Nitro Member
The guys in the booth at Sonoma were commenting on how John "Brute" Force, Ed “the Ace” McCulloch, and Don "the Snake" Prudhomme standing together on the starting line comprised what could be a "funny car Mount Rushmore".
Who do you think would fill out that sculpture if it were to be done?

I think Kenny Bernstein's accomplishments in Funny car would qualify him....
Teddy Roosevelt looks a little like Raymond Beadle....

Rushmore.jpg

No disrespect to the Ace (I don't want to be a victim) but I don't think he makes the cut for the funny car Mt. Rushmore. Force, Snake, Mongoose and Bernstein to me. I think I would put Beadle, Cruzer and Del ahead of him too.

I think Snake, Force and Bernstein are the easy top 3. After that the fourth spot is tough between Beadle and Mongoose. I think others such as Jungle Jim, Schumacher, Scelzi didn't have a long enough career in FC or others such as Del, Capps, Beckman, Cruz, T-Ped and Ace are just on the outside.

Fun debate though. Perhaps each week we pick a new class.

Snake, What can't be said about his record
Beadle, Showmanship and marketing
Jungle, Shomanship and determination to race
Goose. Marketing

The others would have never got to where they are even considered if not for the first four

I know this is totally made up and we're probably overanalyzing it :) but...

It depends on the intent of this F/C Mount Rushmore. Are we looking for the forefathers of Funny Car, or simply those with a great record? Bernstein, for example, owned the class in the 80's but I would argue that Armstrong deserves the recognition. So many good racers, I'm not sure I could whittle it down to four.

Snake, Jungle and Force are locks on mine, but that fourth spot has to go to one of the founding fathers and I'm not well versed enough to say who it would be!

Ace has been a player in FC since winning Indy in '71, when the class was only 5 years old. I think he's been a huge part of FC's history. Having said that, I'm a fan of everyone who's been mentioned, they've all helped shape the class.

I think we're going to need a BIGGER Mt. Rushmore. Lol
Too many good names we need a minimum of 6 heads.

If your talking forefathers of F/C
Malcolm Durham
Dickie Harrell
Dick Landy
Gene Snow.......(not)
Ramchargers

I am not old enough to remember Jungle, but I don't think he makes the cut either. No championships, only ever won 1 national event, was mostly a match race guy. I get that he was a GREAT showman, but I can't put him ahead of guys with lots of wins, multiple championships and huge marketing/professional impact for a NHRA Funny Car Mt. Rushmore. I would even put an alcohol funny car guy (Manzo) ahead of him.

My 4 would be Pat Foster, Jungle Jim, Snake, Force. To me these four influenced the sport more than anyone.

I believe, to be on the Funny Car Mt. Rushmore, you should have been a World Champion. There aren't any non-Presidents on the real one. I choose Don 'the Snake' Prudhomme, Raymond Beadle, Kenny Bernstein and John Force.

My opinion is based on the most important and most influential racers.

It starts with one, Don Prudhomme.
Second was a guy who was at the right place at the right time, Tom McEwen.
Together, they introduced the world to NHRA Funny Cars, and both became household names during the formative years of the NHRA, before anyone outside of drag racing knew what a Funny Car was.. thanks to the genius foresight, and pitch to Mattel by Prudhomme.

Obviously, it's third head is John Force, the most successful drag racer to this day.
It ends with Kenny Bernstein, who was the smartest, exuded the most class, and absolutely the most professional drag racer in the history of the sport.

So many great names to choose from Jack Chrisman, Ramchargers, Arnie Beswick, Mr. Norm's, Jungle Jim, Don Schumacher, Candies & Hughes, Bruce Larson, Ed McCulloch, Joe Pisano, Dale Armstrong, Tom Hoover, Gary Densham, Frank Hawley, and Mark Oswald.

But, I have to agree with Brent:
Don Prudhomme
Raymond Beadle
Kenny Bernstein
John Force

Although if it's Alcohol in the tank:
Frank Manzo
Ken Veney
Bob Newberry
Pat Austin

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread