NHRA Disclaimer (1 Viewer)

Stuff like this reminds me of what the guy who taught my Concealed Handgun License class said....

"When it comes to the law and gray areas.....do what you can afford!"

So, can I afford to risk a law suit? Hmmmm.....

You would think that in order to enforce these rules they would make it so the spectators are no longer allowed to bring cameras to the races.

News organizations commonly pay for images and stories and have legally done so for decades. There is nothing NHRA can do to forbid that. They can try, they can bluff, but they can't surpress News. The Constitution guarantees that.

What one photographer was talking to me about, and I can't give you a name because don't know it. He just recognized my cars, started talking to me and we got on the topic.

NHRA Media (professionals) go to great cost to procure a Media pass to take their pictures, and selling their pictures to me is how they get their money back.

The digital era makes it SO easy to sell your pictures at the track, there was a guy who had a digital photo frame and he'd show you the picture, if you liked it, he'd have it delivered the next day.

News organizations commonly pay for images and stories and have legally done so for decades. There is nothing NHRA can do to forbid that. They can try, they can bluff, but they can't surpress News. The Constitution guarantees that.
The Constitution doesn't guarantee the right to have and use a camera at private events. The use of a ticket to the event indicates the ticket holder agrees to the terms of use as printed on the ticket.

The Constitution doesn't guarantee the right to have and use a camera at private events. The use of a ticket to the event indicates the ticket holder agrees to the terms of use as printed on the ticket.

I think the key here and I agree with Bob is this is a private event and any rules they have must be obeyed. When you buy your ticket, you agree to this. Short form it is their race and their rules.

Disclaimer? Try this one on for size, printed on the back of a NASCAR ticket. Please note that I have added paragraph spaces to make the whole thing a bit more readable.

NASCAR owns the rights to all images, sounds, and data from this NASCAR event,. For more information, contact NASCAR Broadcasting, 2049 Century Park East, Suite 3000, Los Angeles, CA 90067.

The bearer of this ticket agrees not to take any action, or cause others to take any action, which would infringe upon NASCAR's rights. Use of this ticket constitutes acceptance of these terms.

NASCAR owns all rights to broadcast, transmit, film, tape, capture, overhear, photograph, collect or record by any means (including but not limited to television, cable television, radio, pay-per-view, closed circuit television, satellite signal, digital signal, and the Internet) all images, sounds, and data arising from or during any NASCAR event and NASCAR shall be the sole owner of any and all copyright, intellectual property rights, and proprietary rights worldwide in and to these works and in and to any other works, copyrightable or otherwise, created from the images sounds and data arising from or during any NASCAR event.

The bearer of any tickets purchased via this document agrees not to take any action, or cause others to take any action, which would contravene, diminsh, encroach or infringe upon these NASCAR rights.

I especially like the "overhear" part.

Last edited:
Darr,
That said, my guess is NHRA's attorney has them running this announcement to discourage someone from sharing News to AP or any other distributor of News content. It's a bluff at best.

kinda' have to agree with you john. isn't this the opposite of what the
'nat. enquirerers' of the world do? they receive their content from entities
outside their own organization......and pay quite well for it too.

If you think about it, we probably can't even talk about what happens at NHRA events on this website. We can't congratulate anybody because we are describing the event. We can't talk about "the dark side" or John Force, Tom Compton, or anybody. Hell, we probably can't even drink POWERade or patronize any of the sponsors. Some of you said earlier that we probably won't be able to bring cameras anymore, we might not even be able to go to watch an event anymore. We might describe what happened to the person sitting next to you as in, "WOW, did you see that?". This reminds me of a bit that comedian Eddie Izzard had a few years ago when the state of California banned smoking in bars. He said "In California, you can't smoke in a bar anymore. And soon there will be no drinking and no talking". What is NHRA worried about? The more this sport is kept a secret the worse it will do.

Dave

Your point it correct Bob, but the Constitution does guarantee the right to report News. You and I are talking about totally different things. One of the original comments in this thread was regarding the distribution of pictures and videos of accidents (News). That is all I'm referring to.

So I'm confused, does this mean you can't bring a camera to a race take some pictures and put them up on a site for their friends to see? Or just that you can't sell them?

So I'm confused, does this mean you can't bring a camera to a race take some pictures and put them up on a site for their friends to see? Or just that you can't sell them?

Yes Annie, if you take pictures, you can only look at them in a dark closet, by yourself, and Never, Ever tell anyone that you went to a drag race and who may or may not have won.

d'kid
there is a term for what I just said, but it make you go blind...:eek:

As someone who takes pics at events and posts them here, I think it brings more publicity to the event.
The event's organizers have to know this brings more attention to their event, thus more potential for customer$.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back