Thank You for Attending... (1 Viewer)

clwill

Nitro Member
... this weekend's race. We ask you to remember, however, by attending you agree to not broadcast, duplicate, or transmit any photo, video, description, drawing or other representation of the event without the express written consent of the NHRA."

NHRA makes that announcement several times a day during a national event. I may not have the wording precisely correct, but it begs the question: why? Someone in Glendora wants to make sure they wring every drop of revenue out of the event.

But in this day and age, where everyone carries an internet connected camera in their pocket, wouldn't the exact opposite be the smarter move?

"Thank you for attending this weekend's race. We ask you to remember to have fun, to take hundreds of pictures and videos, to post them to your Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest account, to tweet and text all your friends about all the great things going on here, and to make sure to get great selfies with your favorite racers and share them with everyone at home, school, or work. Most important, tell them it was at an NHRA event. Thank you!"

Yep; I’ve made the analogy before, but I’m reminded of local music promoter, Louie Galzara. ‘Louie G’s Pizzeria’ in Fife, Washington features great live music several nights a week, boasts the best in local sound systems and lighting and, as a true visionary, lets photographers in for free. Louie then sits back and enjoys all the free publicity the following day as everyone posts their shots to Facebook.

Agreed. I have gone to and repeatedly spent $$$$ at events and places I saw pictures and videos of online. I'm sure many others do this as well.

Further, it's free publicity! No work or expenditure needed by NHRA!

Agreed. I have gone to and repeatedly spent $$$$ at events and places I saw pictures and videos of online. I'm sure many others do this as well.

Not only is it no work or expense for NHRA, it is even better. It is not some generic commercial. It is a friend or someone I CHOOSE to follow on social media. Typically we respect their opinion more than a tv/radio commercial.

I've posted on this very forum about this very topic numerous times. They can claim whatever they want on their tickets or over the PA, but the fact remains that as soon as you press the button on your camera YOU are the copyright holder, not the NHRA. Selling the pictures or video FOR PROFIT you would need some sort of release. For personal pics and video being shared on social media for personal use it's no different than taking pictures at the park.

I think it's more.. they don't want pictures or video of the race to pop up before ESPN has a chance to air it, or NHRA or ESPN put it on youtube or their website (in the event of a crash).

I think it's more.. they don't want pictures or video of the race to pop up before ESPN has a chance to air it, or NHRA or ESPN put it on youtube or their website (in the event of a crash).
I think that's their worry, but again, they can't claim copyright on something they don't own regardless of what they put on the back of the tickets or say over the PA system.
Didn't a lot of this come up during Scott Kalittas tragedy in 08?
Yep, the NHRA started sending out false DMCA claims when that happened. Too bad somebody didn't lawyer-up and go after NHRA for that BS. False DMCA claims are fraud and a serious crime (felony).

So mr. Brent Busch why don't you be the one to do it and show the rest of us you know what is what.
Thanks.

Didn't a lot of this come up during Scott Kalittas tragedy in 08?
Yes, the NHRA started playing that message right after Scott's crash. Someone posted pictures of what was left of Scott's chassis on a message board (YellowBullet) and the NHRA was on a mission to make sure that didn't happen again.

So mr. Brent Busch why don't you be the one to do it and show the rest of us you know what is what.
Thanks.
Because they weren't my photos! How am I supposed to fight something that doesn't involve my images? Copyright law is pretty cut and dried, NHRA can't claim copyright on something they don't own in order for it to be taken down, that's a false DMCA claim.

Yes, the NHRA started playing that message right after Scott's crash. Someone posted pictures of what was left of Scott's chassis on a message board (YellowBullet) and the NHRA was on a mission to make sure that didn't happen again.
Not for nothing, but are those photos available anywhere? I've never seen them

I've posted on this very forum about this very topic numerous times. They can claim whatever they want on their tickets or over the PA, but the fact remains that as soon as you press the button on your camera YOU are the copyright holder, not the NHRA. Selling the pictures or video FOR PROFIT you would need some sort of release. For personal pics and video being shared on social media for personal use it's no different than taking pictures at the park.

My point was less about who owns what than encouraging (rather than discouraging) social media buzz.

My point was less about who owns what than encouraging (rather than discouraging) social media buzz.
Do you think the same group that files false DMCA claims to remove photos they don't own is going to encourage sharing photos? It's NHRA being their typical backwards selves again.

I have never received an Email from NHRA concerning the photos I have posted..

Not to litigate this too much, but I believe NHRA's attorneys will argue that their language ("... by attending you agree to not ...") makes DMCA not the issue, but rather your breaking of that implied contract.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back