New toy for Wilkerson (1 Viewer)

AA/FMR.... AA Fuel Modified Roadster. and Competition Coupes & Sedans... AA/FC, AA Fuel Competition, literally a dragster with a coupe body. The 2 classes eventually combined, but they were almost the ancestors of funny cars, dragster chassis with a car body. War story: I went once to the old San Gabriell Drag Strip, not too far from where Irwindale is now. Anyhoo, I was about 15. Was standing by the fence next to the starting line, and an AA/FC came to make a run. It had a coupe body on a dragster chassis and weed sweeper headers, blown Chrysler. I could feel the exhaust hit my pant leg and boy did that car make an impression! This was when they smoked the tires most of the way down. The car probably ran 8.40's at 180, but man was I impressed with it! Sometimes those cars and also Modified Roadsters on fuel would run for Top Fuel Elim, and they put on a show. Just gimmee a time machine, that's all I'm askin'.... heh heh Oh, Larry Dixon Sr was the last active AA/FMR, around 1969. Fireside Inn was the name of the car.

My Icon is a picture of our Butters and Gerard AA/FMR. Great racing in SoCal with Frank Pedregon and Larry Dixon[Both "Senior", of course <g>!]. We also had a "chute pack" TF body that we ran at big events.

David I saw that car run at San Fernando. I usta have a black & white photo of it with one of the valve covers on the chassis. Shot the photo thru the chain link fence that surrounded the Hot Pit. Didn't you guys also run it in BF/MR? By the way, I once saw a guy get loose on the track in a door car & it started going toward the hot pit area, and people scattered! heh For those that don't know, San Fernando had NO guard rails. Just the track, a gully on the left side and the hot pit area & dirt on the right side. It was called the Hot Pit cuz that is where the push start cars were located. You'd push the car out from the pit to the fire up road and the engine would lite up when the car got to speed. Was cool to watch. You'd hear the engine come to life, Whomp! Big Chrysler on nitro. That was half the fun, watching them push start the cars. Not just dragsters, but Modified Roadsters, coupes, altereds, roadsters and anything else that needed a push start.

Reminds me of the time Larry Dixon Sr crashed the Valley Wide Muffler fiat. It looked like it was coming into the hot pit and we all ran from the fence, all that is except some guy Dave "The Hook" don't remember his last name. He was a writer for DragSport Illustrated. He had a missing hand and he had a hook on it. He was standing there chatting with us and without realizing it, he had hooked his hook in the chain link fence. Scared the crap out of him.

Jay, that is a funny story! Scary but funny. I wonder who The Hook was? I used to read that paper, thot it had a lot of good stuff in it. Drag News also.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back