New toy for Wilkerson (1 Viewer)

See? I told you, the best way to keep from blowing the bodies off of Funny Cars is to go to Fuel Altereds!

BTW.....full 1/4 mile tune really means 2/3 mile in an Altered.....it'll cross the finish line sideways if necessary

OK, what makes a fuel altered? Hmmmm.... 99" wheelbase, cast iron 392 Chrysler, 6:71 blower, no wings, goes sideways on the burnout, never goes straight, Fiat or roadster body, driver slightly crazy. What did I leave out? :)

A agree, despite the fact it started out life as an AA/FC, it's now an AA/FA. Anyone here remember the modified roadsters of the mid to late '60's? Nothing more than a few pieces of 'glass T roadster body hung on a dragster chassis.

Made a straight and true shot to the 330. Looks like it put a hole out on the left side about 250 feet, right side shortly thereafter.

A agree, despite the fact it started out life as an AA/FC, it's now an AA/FA. Anyone here remember the modified roadsters of the mid to late '60's? Nothing more than a few pieces of 'glass T roadster body hung on a dragster chassis.

AA/FMR.... AA Fuel Modified Roadster. and Competition Coupes & Sedans... AA/FC, AA Fuel Competition, literally a dragster with a coupe body. The 2 classes eventually combined, but they were almost the ancestors of funny cars, dragster chassis with a car body. War story: I went once to the old San Gabriell Drag Strip, not too far from where Irwindale is now. Anyhoo, I was about 15. Was standing by the fence next to the starting line, and an AA/FC came to make a run. It had a coupe body on a dragster chassis and weed sweeper headers, blown Chrysler. I could feel the exhaust hit my pant leg and boy did that car make an impression! This was when they smoked the tires most of the way down. The car probably ran 8.40's at 180, but man was I impressed with it! Sometimes those cars and also Modified Roadsters on fuel would run for Top Fuel Elim, and they put on a show. Just gimmee a time machine, that's all I'm askin'.... heh heh Oh, Larry Dixon Sr was the last active AA/FMR, around 1969. Fireside Inn was the name of the car.

I saw Larry Sr. run what I remember to be a modern version of the Fireside Inn car at Sears Point maybe 20 years ago at a Goodguys race. It ran real well in the morning, then came back in the afternoon to make another pass. While backing up from the burnout, something came loose and the whole rear axle housing came loose in the chassis! Had that happened during a run, we may have one less member of the Dixon clan.

EDIT: Of course my memory ain't what it used to be. The car I saw break was a "street" roadster, complete with windshield and headlights. Had I taken 10 seconds to post, I could've googled the car first rather than later.

Made a straight and true shot to the 330. Looks like it put a hole out on the left side about 250 feet, right side shortly thereafter.

I saw that on Facebook a little bit ago. Would love to know the numbers to the 330 because it looked pretty good.......

Sean D

I saw Larry Sr. run what I remember to be a modern version of the Fireside Inn car at Sears Point maybe 20 years ago at a Goodguys race. It ran real well in the morning, then came back in the afternoon to make another pass. While backing up from the burnout, something came loose and the whole rear axle housing came loose in the chassis! Had that happened during a run, we may have one less member of the Dixon clan.

EDIT: Of course my memory ain't what it used to be. The car I saw break was a "street" roadster, complete with windshield and headlights. Had I taken 10 seconds to post, I could've googled the car first rather than later.

Hey Jim, welcome to the Can't Remember Stuff Club. heh

20181029_103608.jpg

There is a group of people (us included) that want to be the first AA/FA to go 4.99 @300 so maybe that was his motivation...Not 100% sure on that. Maybe because they are freakin cool !
There is a new series that Ty Baumgartner is trying to get off the ground in the midwest for big pump nitro fuel altereds. If it happens and I think it will it will be one awesome booked in show !

I have not heard the objective of this build, but do believe a match race with "Studzilla" would be awesome!...lol... As someone else mentioned, a few passes at the Summit "Night Of Fire" would be a nice promotional occasion.

There is a group of people (us included) that want to be the first AA/FA to go 4.99 @300 so maybe that was his motivation...Not 100% sure on that. Maybe because they are freakin cool !
There is a new series that Ty Baumgartner is trying to get off the ground in the midwest for big pump nitro fuel altereds. If it happens and I think it will it will be one awesome booked in show !

Cool is an understatement, for sure! We played around several years ago with a stretched altered on alcohol and it was an absolute blast. I couldn't imagine dropping the hammer on one of these things, though.

So incrementally, what would those numbers be? Somewhere in the .20's or .30's?

Sean D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back