Mike Dunn explins s plan for IHRA ...........(Nice Interview) (1 Viewer)

David WesolowskitoWORLDWIDE SPORT OF DRAG RACING
12 hrs ·
What a great read. The his side of why he wasn't on the new tv deal, paying Dixon, Bazemore, Massey, or Troxel to run the ihra top fuel house cars, the plans for ihra, current driving talents, and 1000 foot racing.

Mike Dunn, The IHRA’s New President, Reveals the Future of Drag Racing
We Take 5 with Mike Dunn, The IHRA’s New President, and he reveals the Future of Drag Racing
hotrod.com|By Thom Taylor

http://www.hotrod.com/features/cele...-president-reveals-the-future-of-drag-racing/

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Paul! Sounds like a challenge and I hope he's successful. It'll be interesting to see whether the IHRA and NHRA can continue to co-exist.

Me too. If I'm reading between the lines correct, it sounds like he would like to have IHRA be kinda like a minor league to NHRA. A proving ground, so to speak, for the "BIG" teams (Kalitta - Schumacher - Force - ect) to groom a up coming driver / team. Then if they do well, move to NHRA. Clay Millican did that. Spent several years IHRA, now NHRA.

I'm not looking for much visible change this season, too late. Mike will be putting the right people in the place, but we should all see a difference in 2017.
I like Mike, and wish him well. The sport NEEDS two, to choose from, only one would be bad for the sport all around.

Drag Racing needs a strong supporter of sportsman racing sounds hopefull Mike will achieve that. Hope Drag Racers and fans support his attempt in anyway they can.

If I'm reading between the lines correct, it sounds like he would like to have IHRA be kinda like a minor league to NHRA. A proving ground, so to speak, for the "BIG" teams (Kalitta - Schumacher - Force - ect) to groom a up coming driver / team. Then if they do well, move to NHRA. Clay Millican did that. Spent several years IHRA, now NHRA.

I like this idea. Maybe a place for someone like Troy Coughlin Jr., who recently got his TF license to begin his nitro career or possibly for a few NHRA T/AD drivers who might want to get their feet wet. The other point that I found intriguing is the mention of some drivers who are currently on the sidelines. Dixon, Troxel, Massey and Bazemore are well known names that could possibly attract some interest. Guessing the purses will dictate who is in and who is out.
At least they are making an attempt to improve their product. And maybe, just maybe, they'll come to their senses and Cordova will still be home to The World Series of Drag Racing and the Summernationals returns there in 2017.

He said it was Fox call on him not being brought back. I thought NHRA was in charge of production, shouldn't it have been there call?

I like this idea. Maybe a place for someone like Troy Coughlin Jr., who recently got his TF license to begin his nitro career or possibly for a few NHRA T/AD drivers who might want to get their feet wet. The other point that I found intriguing is the mention of some drivers who are currently on the sidelines. Dixon, Troxel, Massey and Bazemore are well known names that could possibly attract some interest. Guessing the purses will dictate who is in and who is out.
At least they are making an attempt to improve their product. And maybe, just maybe, they'll come to their senses and Cordova will still be home to The World Series of Drag Racing and the Summernationals returns there in 2017.

Exactly, right on.

seems u guys forget u don't hav to hav a proving ground to get a fuel ride in NHRA just bring money :D

I have never been to Cordova or this race. I'm sad to see any facility loose an event that has been ran for so many years. We lost KCIR and probably will never have a facility here again. Now from reading this announcement the plan is to expand the race so maybe they feel there is not enough room, hotels other facilities that can handle the expected growth. Maybe it is because owner of the facility has left IHRA i don't know but being in business for almost 40 years i have learned that not all good things last forever and you have to adjust and move on. I think that would apply to Cordova and IHRA. If 60 plus years is correct on how long they have had this race they should very thankfull for that. I can see owner coming up with a new date and new race to replace his lost and it being successful, if it worked for 60 it should for another.

I believe both facilities are owned by the same group. Memphis is bigger and being dubbed as more central

When I read the release yesterday I was also bummed. I likened it to moving the NHRA US Nationals away from Indy. Perhaps I'll eventually be able to accept the change as Jesse reasoned...

I believe both facilities are owned by the same group. Memphis is bigger and being dubbed as more central
It's not more central to me! Cordova is 100 miles away. I'm sure as **** not driving from Iowa to Memphis to give IRG assholes my money for ruining drag racing history.

The U.S. Nationals originated in Great Bend, Kansas in 1955, then moved to Detroit, Michigan for 1959-1960, then to Indy in 1961. It sucks they moved the World Series from Cordova, but when the owner sold Cordova to a for profit corporation nothing is sacred.

It's not more central to me! Cordova is 100 miles away. I'm sure as **** not driving from Iowa to Memphis to give IRG assholes my money for ruining drag racing history.

Brent, I have it on good authority that the management at IRG did in fact change the venue from Cordova to Memphis just to ruin drag racing history...NOT! I feel certain that after taking into account many factors including things you and know know little about there was the difficult choice of moving this race to Memphis. When you say that you are within 100 miles of Cordova and are upset due to the distance, don't you think that you might be coming across as somewhat selfish? Regardless of any changes the NHRA or IHRA makes that benefits fans and racers, someone will always be upset. I recommend looking up the Vice Chairman for IRG, Chris Lencheski on LinkedIn. He got back to me about some ideas and he may explain why the switch was made.

Best,

Mike

this is like moving the 'the masters' from augusta, ga and expecting folks to think it's the same tournament.
it wouldn't be, it would be something else completely with the same players but different vibe and atmosphere.
IHRA would do themselves a favor to think-up a new name for their new august race in memphis.
saddened to hear cordova will in fact lose their 62 yr. old annual piece of drag racing history.
the 'world series of drag racing' is done and over. glad i was able to attend this storied race
for quite a few years in my youth.

Brent, I have it on good authority that the management at IRG did in fact change the venue from Cordova to Memphis just to ruin drag racing history...NOT! I feel certain that after taking into account many factors including things you and know know little about there was the difficult choice of moving this race to Memphis. When you say that you are within 100 miles of Cordova and are upset due to the distance, don't you think that you might be coming across as somewhat selfish? Regardless of any changes the NHRA or IHRA makes that benefits fans and racers, someone will always be upset. I recommend looking up the Vice Chairman for IRG, Chris Lencheski on LinkedIn. He got back to me about some ideas and he may explain why the switch was made.

Best,

Mike
Brilliant answer! /sarc "Built for fans, by fans" my ass. Memphis didn't have squat to do with the history of the race. It's been in Illinois for its entire life and at Cordova since 1957. Moving it to Memphis makes as much sense as moving Indy 500 to New Mexico and calling it the 100th and trying to pass it off as if the people in NM had something to do with it's success, longevity and history. There was absolutely no need or reason to poach the World Series from Cordova other than greed, end of story. Memphis could have done what any other track has done and made their own damn race. It's done just fine at Cordova for the past nearly 60 years it was there. The history was made at Cordova, not Memphis. Even Garlits, Beswick, Animal Jim and many other racers that made history there said it should stay there. Selfish for wanting to keep history that was made at Cordova instead of moving it to Memphis? I've attended the WS since I was 2 1/2 months old. My dad first raced at the World Series in 1964. My dad sure didn't get his World Series wins in Memphis, he won them at Cordova. If Memphis wanted a successful 6 decade old event then they could have made their own, nobody stopped them.

BTW, Lencheski is the same tool that nearly screwed up hockey in the Quad Cities area a few years ago. And I did send him a message but the clown didn't respond.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back