New Banning strip is 'dead in the water' (1 Viewer)

Rich, it’s always easy to take cheap shots at people that you don't know. Guess I'm a big target and that is to be expected. Everyone is a somebody behind a keyboard. Maybe I should ask you, "What are you doing to get a drag strip in SoCal?"

I can't expect you to become an expert in my project when you weren't involved in any capacity. So let me correct your statements.

The staff report, which was written by Eric Vail, the City attorney, was written to persuade the commission and in the end was proven to be false on several points.

First, we did do construction on our project. IT WAS CALLED THE BARBOUR STREET EXTENSION (street, water lines, gas lines, electric, lights, sidewalks, curb and gutter) According to the City Attorney (who was not at the city during this construction in 2004) stated that OUR GROUP only supervised the construction and that all the fees were paid for by the City's redevelopment agency.

That was FALSE:

WE PAID $198,000. The City paid $62,500. This alone creates a VESTMENT and by law we no longer need the permit to be extended. Ask any developer what that means and they will tell you that what I say is true and is protected under the 5th Amendment. Especially in California.

Another fact to remember is we held off on any and all track construction for several reasons and for several years because of the City's inability to get the FAA land release until Nov. 2006.

Ironically, according to the City's staff report this was already 3 months after the time that they claim our permit actually expired. My attorney thinks either way, the City is in the wrong and will be paying a nice settlement to us or a HUGE AWARD after a trial.

In essence, the planning commission voted (rubber stamped) to revoke something that by law they couldn't, on the advice of a uninformed city attorney. They did what they were told to do. Which brings us to this:

BANNING IS DEAD!

WE ARE NOT!

This is not the end for the DRAG CITY dream and you will continue to see my name in the sport of DRAG RACING for years to come.

So my challenge to you is find us a place to build a track in SoCal and a City who would like one and then let me know.

Last edited:
Just a stupid question here Andy...But, if a Law suit is PENDING from the city, would it not be wise to refrain from comments about this matter until it's resolved??

Another Stupid Question from "Somebody Hiding behind a Keyboard"....
1) If Karl is correct, (which for the most part he is about things) and So Cal does not WANT A DRAG STRIP, and that they #itch about Street Racing, but don't give them a place to race....THEN WHY DID YOU GUYS PICK BANNING IN THE 1st PLACE??? His Argument is not a new one! It's been that way since the early 80's!

2) Bill is Correct here...The Pala Indian Reservation is located near Temecula...(KARL I SAID NEAR THE GRAPES....NOT ON THEM...SO IT'S OK!) has been building for the past few years. It's one of the most sucessful Indian Reservations out there. Not too many Residentials in that neck of the woods to complain about noise, HUGE TAX BREAKS, and HOTEL'S NEAR THE FACILITY!...Plus, and this is a racer speaking....GOOD AIR!!!

3) Be careful on what you say about the people here on NITROMATER Mr. Marocco, especially what you say about Rich Bailey. He has done more for Charity and spreading the TRUE MESSAGE ABOUT DRAG RACING than most of the people I have met, and over the past 30 years....I have pretty much met them all sir. Watch this video for an example:

YouTube - Wheels Of Speed, Heart Of Compassion (part 1 of 7)

Also, There are no ALIAS here..FAKE NAMES....or people Hiding behind a keyboard. This is a forum where our real names and personalities, and OPINIONS are up front! Not hidden like other message boards. There are also many people here who could help you sell your dream. Burning bridges might not be the most tactical of decisions. Also a threat of suing for Slanderous Statements might not add to your credibility...*(we call this Mater Cred right Kelly?)

I am a passionate person, especially about Drag Racing. If I had the money, I would find a way to build a track in So Cal. That's how much the sport means to me. Getting back to basics and getting kids off the street is MY PRIORITY! Saving (1) Life from a idiotic STREET RACE, is my Priority! That's why I spend most of my free time talking to kids here in Denver, at High School Autoshops, or at cruise nights, or simply at the car wash about Bandimere Speedway, and taking it to the track. I do this without my own car to display. Just an honest guy who has a "Gift of Gab", and uses it to help educate people about the sport that I truly love. That's why I am a proud supporter of Racers Against Street Racing, and the NHRA. Bringing back a Quality Drag Strip to the birthplace of Drag Racing is Important to me, and I guess that is why I am truly dissapointed in your business venture.

I am not blaming you, the city of Banning, the voters or anyone else. But, if something like this were important enough to you, and the city as it was stated in previous Press Releases on your website...then we should not be having this discussion.

Heck in the time since Banning was planned, Irwindale Speedway (the oval and afterthought 1/8th mile track), Barona (another 1/8th mile track) and the dragstrip at Fontana (which was actually torn down and relocated) were built. Sure they are no way near the magnitude of what "Drag City" was going to be, but come on. Why did Mopar and NHRA back away?
Look, I don't have the time, patience, money, knowledge or anything else that would qualify me to even attempt to do what you have planned, but, man, when you hear the same story every time and keep seeing the same tumbleweed rolling around, and see no action.....
Suing for slander? That's a nice way to win support for your "Drag City". To you, we may just be "keyboard jockeys", but we are also the ones (at least us here in So. Cal.) that would have been parking in your pits, paying entry fees and making passes down your track. You know, supporting your "venture". While I sincerely hope that there is another national event caliber track built in So. Cal., I ain't holding my breath.

P.S. I was a supporter of "Drag City" at one time. I also believed in Santa and the Easter Bunny.

That was a hard hitting post Andy but your schuck-n-jive is a little to much to take. I wasn't hiding behind a keyboard as you say. My name is there in bold letters. The bottom line is you were unable to get the job done. It seems to me you have had several years to start construction but year after year nothing ever got done out there and the date kept getting moved back again.

We need a new Orange County. In fact, Orange County and Lions were really the vehicle that helped make drag racing popular in the 70's nationwide because of the proximity to the movie and media industry. You were our last hope for a track like that and you really needed to strike while the iron was hot, Andy. I guess I don't understand when you got the city giving you the go ahead and it never gets done. But this is not unique we have the same kind of funny business going on in Boardman Oregon. Lots of grand ideas years in the planning stages and no action.

Andy, please don't piss down our backs and tell us it's raining. Why should your post be believed when you have announced construction was going to take place year after year and then nothing ever happens? I've given you the benefit of the doubt many times in the past after your slippery rebuttles here but not this time. There has been a lot of very disturbing news stories concerning drag racing lately and Drag City is just one of many.

Last edited:
Rich, it’s always easy to take cheap shots at people that you don't know. Guess I'm a big target and that is to be expected. Everyone is a somebody behind a keyboard. Maybe I should ask you, "What are you doing to get a drag strip in SoCal?"

So my challenge to you is find us a place to build a track in SoCal and a City who would like one and then let me know.

It's not up to Rich or any of the other users of this board to build a dragstrip in SoCal. None of us put up a website and had umpteen press releases touting the future of drag racing. No one on this board was naming names in their assessment of your failure, nor were any comments particularly slanderous. I appreciate your passionate defense, but what you are failing to see is that we (the members of this board who I am going to stick my neck out by assuming I speak for them) are your core customers. We are the ones who buy the tickets. In some cases we are the ones who tow hundreds if not thousands of miles to race at these facilities. We are ultimately disappointed that something that seemed to start with a great deal of promise has vaporized for whatever reason, once again leaving the fan and the racer out in the cold. To top it all off, we get called ignorant slanderous cowards that hide behind our keyboards when we are obviously the only people on Planet Earth that give a darn about your proposed dragstrip. You can justify/defend it however you like, and you may even win your lawsuit but ultimately the failure is yours (and your partners). It is not up to any public entity to make life easy for you, it is up to the developer to get the job done.

I do hope you find a buyer (city) for what you are selling (dragstrip). But I also hope you learned your lessons well so the same mistakes aren't duplicated next time around.

For what it's worth, I like the Indian reservation idea, especially Temecula as that is a straight shot down I-15 from me, and I like playing poker at Pechanga and I like touring the vineyards.

If you build it anywhere, we will come from everywhere.

EDIT: Gary and Rich made their posts whilst I was composing mine, sorry if mine seems redundant, I will just put it down to great minds think alike. :D

Last edited:
Either way guys, your opinions are your opinions. You entitled to them but at least base them on fact before blabbing them.

Not to mention not one of you posting about me has ever known me, spoke to me or worked with me to get this track going during these past 7 years.

I'm not on this board to have a pissing contest, but I will straighten things out if the truth has been distorted or my name is pissed on.

Reading a BS post from Agent 1320 doesn't constitute facts ( DRO has been know to make many twisted, slanted and false reports) Links to lawsuits and city papers don't tell both sides to the story.

Oh well, I thought you might like for me to shed some light to what was really going on but it seems you would rather piss on me and talk crap that you have no clue about.

I have nothing more to gain from posting on this board now that Banning is no longer an option.

Enough is enough, posting here is just a waste of my time. Enjoy your bench racing.

PS Chris, there is no dragstrip in Banning.

Last edited:
PS Chris, there is no dragstrip in Banning.

Huh? Did I miss something? I know there is no dragstrip in Banning ... it's the whole point of this thread.

I just re-read my post and I cannot see where anyone would assume that I think there is a dragstrip in Banning.

In any event, I will reiterate that I hope you are successful in the future Andy at bulding a dragstrip somewhere in SoCal. If you build it, I will come.

Isn't Bruton Smith committed to building a track in Charlotte DESPITE the initial protests? YOU had the backing of Banning.
IF you build a track, I will be there on opening day with my car and I will personally apologize for doubting you.

Last edited:
Point of fact...

Drag City was so over-hyped and sold everyone a bill of goods long before they even had the land usage situation resolved... by several years.

I don't know one single person in the drag racing community that wasn't behind Drag City initially. But the continual coming and going of grand opening dates... and the constant blame being placed by the Marocco's on everyone but themselves soured the taste in everyone's mouth long ago. At this point they could no sooner get Drag City built than to put a man on the moon through their own efforts. Their reputations will precede them.

And don't get me started on the Surfer's car!!!

Comparing Bruton Smith and the Maroccos isn't fair. But take a look at how Riverside Motorsports Park has gone about trying to build their facility near Atwater. RMP's progession and low-profile approach is a stark contrast to the Drag City project. And the likelihood of it being built is pretty good. Maybe that's because they actually have people involved that know how to get the project built.

David, you're right, not a big deal, but obviously it is a typo. Jan. 7, 2007 was a Sunday. This is all new litigation.

Andy, if I lived in Southern California I'd be there every step of the way but I don't. I know how difficult it is to get a track built which is why this is so frustrating as you were able to get past the hardest part of the process. Andy I know I came across as a jerk but this is a real let down and has been for quite some time. As for the Agent, he did what all of us did...he read the court papers and watched this fiasco slowly unfold over the last 7 years with no success. If you can still get it done then great. I'd rather be wrong.

Last edited:
Greg, I guess that I should have clarified that a little better. Bruton Smith had to fight to get the dragstrip built, whereas the Maroccos didn't have to fight, they HAD the backing of Banning 100%.

Greg, I guess that I should have clarified that a little better. Bruton Smith had to fight to get the dragstrip built, whereas the Maroccos didn't have to fight, they HAD the backing of Banning 100%.
Gary,

Absolutely! You're dead on there. They also had the backing of just about every single person in the drag racing community.

Its easy to criticize as they did put up money and spent a lot of time getting through the process. But from what I've seen, you can pin this one on the city. If it was me I'd do what ever it takes to show the city it was going to happen. After a while they came across as a couple of tin pan salesmen and the city got tires of waiting. I just wish they could have got some guidence and recources from NHRA. They know the value of a track like that. What's the story there?

Its easy to criticize as they did put up money and spent a lot of time getting through the process. But from what I've seen, you can pin this one on the city. If it was me I'd do what ever it takes to show the city it was going to happen. After a while they came across as a couple of tin pan salesmen and the city got tires of waiting. I just wish they could have got some guidence and recources from NHRA. They know the value of a track like that. What's the story there?

Rich, you're right. It is easy to criticize someone, when you haven't walked in their shoes. That wasn't my intention and I apologize if I came off that way, but I have heard the same stories for years. Heck, someone (I don't know who) was going through the lanes at Fontana going on and on about how Drag City was coming. When we questioned him, all we got was rhetoric and we're going to break ground soon. I've signed the petitions, and hoped beyond a doubt that it would happen. One by one, the sponsors started leaving. Mopar left, NHRA stopped mentioning the "track". Sure, I didn't put up $$$ or have any involvement other than hope, but when you see Irwindale Speedway, Fontana's track being built, run on, rebuilt and run on, Barona's 1/8th mile, etc., I had to back away. I hope that they do attempt to build a track and are successful.

Last edited:
Aside from the track scam, Andy, let's get back to the Surfer's car....a project that begs to be in the hands of someone who truly deserves to have it. You stated that all Adam & Tom have to do is tell you when they are ready and you'll bring the car out.

Guess what Andy???? I've spoken with both of them and neither will ever have anything to do with that project as long as you own the car. If you were smart, for which I won't hold my breath, you would sell it right now while it's still worth something. Otherwise, you're stuck with a car that no one will ever have anything to do with because of who owns it and the fact that you managed to alienate the original owners.

Be careful when you're throwing names around here. Many of the players here have more connections than you ever thought about.

Pat "Ma" Green

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back