Any further news on Mopar Drag City in Banning, CA? (1 Viewer)

DragFan2

Nitro Member
Hey left coasters, I haven't seen any recent news from Drag City out in Banning, CA. Last I heard (or saw) was a single earth mover moving some dirt around to make it look like something was happening. Anyone have any recent pics of the place? Darr H. are you keeping an eye on this? It's been about 3 months now since I've seen an update. Just wonderin...

The natives got restless and finally went home about two years ago when the Morraccas were having the Surfers car rebuilt etc. The track is very much needed. They need to stop talking and start building.

Last edited:
Is this site all 'fluff' or will something actually happen there? When I read their updates it reads like promotional hype, as opposed to an actual plan for construction.

It would be nice to have another track in So. Cal. since Palmdale is more than likely closing soon, but I've given up hope for Banning. Just like I stopped believing in Santa, the Easter Bunny, and finding a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow....

The press release reads like a desperate developer beating his head against the wall of impossibility. From all I've seen and read, it certainly seems like it's a stretch to even imagine it happening.

Bobby,

I guess I am psychic or something, as I posted that last night (11/30/06) and lo and behold Drag City posts on Dec. 1st (today) that things are now able to move forward again since they got the FAA to sell them the final 20 acres they needed for the strip. Now why NONE of their previous updates ever mentioned that little snag I can't understand, since it appears that from Aug/Sept until now, and most likely late December, essentially NOTHING has been done. Well, nothing to the grounds anyway. That silly groundbreaking ceremony back in July/Aug and the single Cat earth-mover was just all for show and a bit of fluff I guess. I hope they are now on-track to get something built, but as everyone has said up to this point, I'll believe it when I see it!!! :rolleyes:

re - post (i posted on the wrong thread i think.)

Photos in September show one piece of earthmoving equipment and a water truck. Apparently the current delay has been blamed on changing specifications slowing the bid process. Photos show just a flat piece of land with multiple tire tracks on it. If the strip was supposed to be way below ground level why the fine grading at grade level? looks to me like all they have done is dust mitigation. In fact i see no survey stakes whatsoever. thats a big red flag. the last photo is from altitude at a distance showing the air strip in the background.

I'm not a betting man so I won't wager whether or not we'll someday race in Banning. I will say this, however;
I recently sold a large development parcel of land in Utah that was nearly entitled for a final plat and beginning of construction of the first phases. That was five years ago and they are still quite well on track to develop a beautiful community although not a spade of dirt has been turned and over $40,000,000.00 has been spent to date. Pulling off a large Development such as this isn't a walk-in-the-park. Project delays in remote regions are very common. Development delays in California are more common than mosquitoes in Minnesota. I would also venture to say that few, if any projects come off without hitches along the way. Some are greater than others but, as my daddy used to say, "nothing good comes easy."

Since it's neither my money nor sweat off my back, I'll be patient and keep up hope. Bad mouthing, criticizing or wishing them ill won't make either me or them look better in my opinion and since I fully intend to race there should things finally come together, I'll wish them the very best luck in getting things to come to fruition. That's just my way though?

Bobby, I'm still in favor of them building the place too, especially if it turns out anything like the artists conception which is awesome. I guess I just wondered once again what the holdup was, and why there was no information disseminated for a couple months once they led everyone to believe that stuff was happening. I realize that land development, especially for something like a drag racing venue can take some real political manuvering and even moreso in California than in most states. I know that it will benefit not only LA racers but alot of Arizona racers such as yourself, since it will be a straight shot over on I-10 from Phoenix. I too hope to see the day that Drag City is built.

You're right Kurt.
Anyone willing to wade neck-deep into building a new drag race track in today's political climate is already swimming against the tides. In reality, Southern California could easily support a dozen new tracks but getting municipal approval, financing, suitable location, citizen's blessing, not to mention transportation loop sufficient to support such is a one-in-a-million shot. Obviously some feel these components are possible a piece at a time for the Banning track and I'll welcome their success as well as understand the enormity of the hill they are climbing without unnecessarily throwing rocks at them during their ascent.

My daughter, son-in-law and grandkids are in Southern California and we visit there often. We may, one day, be able to bring the transporter and meet them Friday night on our way out for a weekend and I really want to be welcomed at the entrance of the track when that time comes. After years of heckling from so many, I would understand if the entrance clearly displayed a sign that reminds "We reserve the right to refuse entrance to anyone."

Last edited:
Bobby you make a good point. The eco radicals that now control the Government on the west coast has made it difficult to build anything period. In Oregon it's so bad that the people voted in a law saying that if the municipality doesn't allow you to buid on your own land the Gov must pay you what it's worth. So far the Gov (counties, etc) have tried every trick in the book not to honor this law while a few are starting to bend. And this is mainly houses so imagine how difficult it is to build a Dragstrip?

So Speak up Andy and give us the low down!

Last edited:
Perhaps if their press releases had not misused phrases like "imminent" and "last obstacle" and "construction has begun" so freely over the past several years and if the developers had been a little more honest about just how far they really were from actually being ready to start construction, people would be a little more willing to treat the latest round of recycled press releases with a little less skepticism.

They have totally blown any credibility they may have had by repeatedly announcing that the last obstacle has been overcome and construction has started - they have been at that stage for the last three years with no visible signs of progress. Their latest round of photos could be any stretch of desert along I-10, I see nothing remotely resembling a drag strip under construction.

Ignore them until the money for scoreboards and a timing system actually changes hands - then they might be six months away from actually holding a drag race. Houston Raceway Park is installing new scoreboards and a timing system upgrade - they will be ready by February. Fontana tore down one dragstrip and built another in a couple months. It's really not that tough once the "last obstacle" is out of the way as long as the developer really wants to build a dragstrip.

Banning is a joke and will remain one until they actually demonstrate real progress instead of recycling old press releases. So far, there is no evidence they are anything more than a paper mill with a website, so don't make any reservations just yet.

Come on, folks, pay attention to the man behind the curtain!!

Larry, I couldn't agree with you more. Their press releases have been fantasy to date, and your comment about the photograph is correct. I've worked with promoters (races, concerts, fairs, festivals) throughout my 24 years in Radio, and those press releases remind me why I always require cash-in-advance for advertising from promoters...there are a few honest ones out there, and hundreds of dudes with a lot of hot air.

I agree with you...when the staging lanes are annonced to be open for test & tune, then and only then will it be a reality. Until that exact moment, it's nothing but press releases and fantasies. By the way...I wouldn't recommend anyone invest any cash in this venture...including track sponsorships. I'd only agree to a sponsorship agreement that stated money doesn't change hands until the first pair of cars are in the water...otherwise, driving down the road, rolling down the windows and tossing out c-notes would be more enjoyable.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back