Pit Access - How fortunate we are in NHRA (1 Viewer)

I think it's a good thing. This guy was on the pit road, not behind the barriers and he had his back to the car. A BIG no-no in racing! With the equipment today, there is no reason for someone (other than official team) to be where he was.

been wondering if this is feasible as it's only a matter of time until
a not-paying-attention fan is hurt, and i realize this is not possible
at some venues due to space limitations, but maybe some venues could
implement?

racers return from run, tow down 'nitro alley' and enter pit, 'nitro alley'
arguably not as full of fans as car returns to pit as when they leave.

service car - time to tow to lanes - instead of towing car out into mass
of fans, many of which are not aware of what's going on, wouldn't it be nice
to tow straight ahead out of pit space and into a 'no fan access' alley in
front of haulers and straight to lanes.

yesterday's 90 min. turnarounds i'd say no big deal - but if today's
teams are asked to step-up their turn-around, then why not make
it a little easier and quicker for them to exit their pit and get to lanes?

as it's only a matter of time until
implement?

This ^^^^^^^^

Especially the last part of the second paragraph.

Sean D

Just so you have an idea of what the FIA is dealing with please watch this video. Accident occurs about 18-20 seconds into the 58 sec video.

VIDEO of runaway tire hitting cameraman at Formula One German Grand Prix - Autoweek Racing F1 news - Autoweek

That is essentially on the racing surface and that tire was moving at a high rate of speed (jacks must have extended while the car was still in motion, or the car went into gear while the tires where being changed).

Back to drag racing....

Towing through the pro pits has got to be nerve wracking, I know towing through the sportsman pits makes me sweat, but I'm not sure that the safety aspect needs to change as dramatically as a dedicated tow zone.

Half the fans get it, and pieces of the remainder are either oblivious or looking for a reason to call you a jerk. I rarely see a towed car travelling at too high a speed, but some of the driven sportsman cars do some pretty scary things themselves.

It is amazing how many people don't realize the tow strap is there and try to step between the two vehicles in motion. AR does a good job announcing the consideration spectators need to provide, and if everyone keeps the speeds down I see no reason to sacrifice access and/or a bunch more paved pit space to this situation.

I wouldn't mind if they told tow vehicles to run front and rear strobe lights when towing up or back just to draw attention .... but of course we'd have complaints about the incremental $100 cost of that safety item....

Criminy!

I happened to see that race live and thought it was "just one of those racin' deals". That guy just HAPPENED to be Media.
What if it had been crew, would THEY be banned?
or
What about the "courageous idiot" who stands square-in-front of the approaching car when in comes in for a tire stop?

I think FIA has waaayyyy over-reacted in this deal. Then again, Europe is kind of a nanny-state.:confused:

The all access to the pits is still a great treat, but I can see it changing if, god forbid, something were to happen. I went to a MX National recently and had to pay $20 each for my son and I to go into the pits, and that was only before and after the race. It was cool for him, but not worth it, and won't get the pit passes again.

It's all fine and dandy until someone gets hurt. Eventually someone (a fan) will be injuried at an NHRA event in some fashion and things will change. I have seen way too many clueless fans step in front of tow vehicles or between the tow vehicle and the race car. It's a privilege, not a right. I believe the pits should be better policed with the shorter turn arounds. Maybe close the pro pits when the fuel cars are running and not open them until the finals cars have run. The pro pits will thin out when the pro cars start to pull out for the next round....

I watch all racing but NASCAR. I DVR so much, I could operate my remote upside down in a blackout. F1 has long been a favorite of mine, and I always thought that the group that SPEED (since moved to NBC) brought together was top-notch, and I am left here wondering what one of my favorites (Will Buxton) is going to do now? Dang it.

It is over-reaction plain and simple. Forcing camera/reporting crews to have a "spotter" would have been just as successful as eliminating them all-together. All that guy needed was someone watching his back, literally.

Last edited:
Solution for getting fans out of the way when towing fuel cars back to the pits....drive 'em back.

And the pit experience is a lot less interesting now that throttle whacks are a thing of the past. Even Force has said 'no mas' to it - too hard on the engine, says he.

Does anyone remember Larry Dixon's Blowover at the Finishline at I think it was Memphis or Columbus in the Miller car? You don't see it from the Head on cam, but there is a clip out there that catches it from the Tower his Rear tire that Flew off to like 200' in the Air, the camera follows it landing in the Pits near some Motorhomes! I can only assume no one was injured or we would have heard about it!

Maybe close the pro pits when the fuel cars are running and not open them until the finals cars have run. The pro pits will thin out when the pro cars start to pull out for the next round....
Could you imagine the horror that would come to people that might have to sit in the stands and watch the other classes!! :eek:;):D

Maybe before something does happen NHRA should mandate all tow rigs have a sounding device activated when towing in the pits. Seems to me most of the teams blow there horns when coming back from there runs. No pit access no NHRA

Most, if not all of F1 pit coverage can be replaced by remote, robotic cameras with the cameraman safely in an air conditioned TV Switching truck.

Notice how well remote, starting line robotic cameras are working on the ESPN2 NHRA show, quite well. ;)

I just remembered the phrase, "Don't ever turn your back to a running racecar", still works today - even for cameramen.

implement?

it a little easier and quicker for them to exit their pit and get to lanes?

Just going by what you said in the last paragraph it wouldn't be the media that would impact their turn around it would be the numerous fans which out number the media and photog's probably 300 to 1.

I hope it never comes to that because it would kill the sport of Drag Racing!
Remember the media promotes the sport and gets to viewers that wouldn't know it exists!

implement?

it a little easier and quicker for them to exit their pit and get to lanes
?

Won't work in PHX... There would be a bunch of wet or bent-up cars... :D

I have both driven the tow car and steered the Racecar through the pits and i tell you the tow car is ok as it has a horn and windows you can yell out of but sitting in a funny car with the body down you just hope they (or another fan) realise at the last second and get the hell outta the way. Brakes don't work too well when you got a car pulling you. It's amazing how many get outta the way of the tow car not thinking they are towing a Racecar at a racetrack 10 mins before first round. Never hit anyone but had or seen many close calls.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back