No Joon in 2009? (1 Viewer)

Gerda Joon

Nitro Member
Dutch Top Fuel Dragster racer and Eurodragster.com Blogger Lex Joon has announced that he will not be racing in 2009 without the right deal to arise. Lex, 2005 FIA European Top Fuel Dragster Champion and runner-up in 2007 and 2008, said that he will be concentrating more on maintaining and developing his US car business in his home town of Zaandam.

"When we started our own Top Fuel Team in 2005 I really tried to make a living out of it. The sport consumes you, but that’s what is required to be successful and we can’t continue in the sport without a one hundred per cent commitment. There’s no way to shortcut the job - for us it’s all or nothing. I wanted to race the absolute best of the best in Europe, to see how I would stack up, and obviously I did pretty well.

"I always dreamed of doing this for a living. But owning a professional Top Fuel team in Europe does not give you enough stability. With only five races in the FIA Championship and no race track in our own country it is very difficult to find a sponsorship deal with enough funding. Without races added to the Championship the future will not look very different. So there are too many variables in this business to be doing it for a living at the moment. "The real living I need to make at the moment is in my shop, and that's where I need to stake my claim .

"I've had great people in my crew. They are all volunteers but they did it for me and because they love the sport so much: Sebastian Visser, Arjan van Bemmel, Simon van Luit, Tom Stone, Jochem Kaauw, Karim ElBaze, Maxim Spaans, Patrick Duyzers, Hans Kramer, Hans Brings and of course my wife Gerda. A big thank you to all the great people at the MPM International Oil Company who stood behind me from the beginning of my Top Fuel career. I thank you all.”

"This doesn't mean I am quitting. I never had any intention of quitting and I am definitely leaving the door open. If and when a deal arises, and if it's the right deal, I will be back. MPM Oil Company have stated they want to stay involved with Lex Joon Racing when a new opportunity arises.. That's why I don't want to say I am retiring. I'll make that decision myself, as it is my decision to make. If this does end up being the end of it, then I've had a great career."

Times are tough dude I hope you get the funding you need to continue your dream. I think you guys do a hell of a job over there.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back