New Banning strip is 'dead in the water' (1 Viewer)

This is unbelievable, opportunities like this just don't come around that often. It sounds like the developer could not come up with the funding for this project.
The city and people of this community are all for this, hopefully they will find a developer that can fund this. I mean you have the land, the interstate and the city support, what more could you ask for.:cool:

I just bummed out that these same guys commisioned the fabled "Surfers" slingshot dragster to be re-created. I think it was approx 90% finished when this whole mess started. I hope someone steps up and finishes that car. Pat Foster did the work so it's pretty much as good as the real deal - if not better.

Dale

IMHO this was a scam from the beginning. They NEVER had the money to build anything, and expected deep pockets would get excited & come running with the money to build the track.

The saddest thing of all is that they have the "Surfers" car and will not sell it. I've heard it was never totally paid for, but I can't confirm that. They don't deserve to have that car, just like they had no business trying to build a race track.

Anyone remember how the Dad got in my face several years ago for questioning their honesty & committment? Hummmm.....can you say "I told you so".

Banning didn't get built for a variety of reasons many of those had to do the City administration itself. The FAA land release alone took 5 years out of our 7 years to complete.

Sure we had a “project approval” back in 2002 but why would investors take a multimillion-dollar risk to build just a portion of a drag strip and wait for more land (FAA approval) that was not going to be guaranteed that it could be used for the rest of track.

So, investors came and went and we continued.

The City kept telling us that the FAA land release would be around the corner back in 2002. Now flash forward to Nov. 2006. That is when the OK finally came from the FAA for the City to sell to our group. Then a protected species, known as a “burrowing owl” was discovered on the released 20 acres and was not mitigated until March 2007, thus putting the project on hold again.

Once more, investors came and went and we continued.

Finally, in October 2007 our main money guy, Tom Searles, couldn't come up with the funds necessary to close escrow on the FAA /City 20 acres (40 we already own) and BOOM!, that was the end. The City terminated the Master Agreement.

We got rid of Tom Searles and took back 100% control of our project again after letting him lead us for 3 years. But by then, the damage was done and last night (Jan 28, 2008) the City revoked our UUP Permit. Our attorney was present and submitted evidence at the meeting for a lawsuit will be filed against the City, shortly.

We tried like hell and no one will loose anything, but us in the long run. All our investors (3 = $250,000 cash & $50,000 in services) and local sponsors ($80,000) will be paid 100% back after we sell our 40-acre parcel.

What you don't know is how much we personally spent and contributed in time.

Anyone can file a lawsuit, maybe I can file lawsuit for the slanderous remarks that many are making on this board? Its worth $500 just to see that don't you think?

As for the Surfers car, it is finished and IS NOT FOR SALE. When Adam Sorokin and Tom Jobe decide to debut it, then that is when it will be publicly unveiled.

For those who believed and supported us…. THANK YOU!

For those of you who didn't….. WE FORGIVE YOU!

God makes all just in the end. And for us this isn’t our end. We look at Banning now as a lesson and a reason to keep moving forward to bring the DRAG CITY dream elsewhere.

Last edited:
No Offense Andy....But, Build it...and they will come! I remember hearing about this track many years ago, and how it was going to bring a STATE OF THE ART FACILITY BACK to Southern California. Hell, one of the major Reason's I got my Competition License and have kept it current for the past few years, was so that when your "TRACK" opened up, I would be there to RACE at the Grand Opening of MOPAR DRAG CITY! I even convinced a good friend of mine in So Cal to let me drive his Super Comp Dragster at the race! But, where are we today???? ZERO! Which, no matter how you try to spin it, is exactly what you've got.....ZERO!

In playing poker, I've learned some good lessons. The Best one is, Never play with money you don't have! I BELIEVED IN DRAG CITY, IN BRINGING DRAG RACING BACK TO SO CAL, AT THE LEVEL IN WHICH IT DESERVES TO BE AT. I was at the last drag race at OCIR, and RIVERSIDE, and Competed at Carlsbad until it too finally went away.

I wish you the best of Luck in following your dream of Bringing Drag Racing to Southern California Andy, and If I could help in any way to make it happen, I would. God know's that the birthplace of Drag Racing as we know it, should have a state of the Art facility for all to race at. But, please next time, when you have the land, and SPONSORS and OPENING DAY ALL SET UP....Build the thing before you announce it.

Andy, if you truely want to see your dream of a new drag strip in Southern California become a reality and not just a land owner, find an Indian reservation that is willing to house it. Seriously. And there are many in the neighborhood of Banning that you could start with.

And for those that are not aware, both Firebird in Chandler, Arizona and Barona in North County San Diego are both on Indian reservation land.

...But, please next time, when you have the land, and SPONSORS and OPENING DAY ALL SET UP....Build the thing before you announce it.

Amen BROTHER! Did we ever think the words would end and the digging begin? Nice thought. Didn't happen...and the WORDS still continue! Really would like to have a track fairly close now that we've lost LACR. Heck, it wasn't much but the Bernieplex RAN almost every week! Never heard Bernie talk about that track all that often though...maybe that's why it's gone?;)

Amen BROTHER! Did we ever think the words would end and the digging begin? Nice thought. Didn't happen...and the WORDS still continue! Really would like to have a track fairly close now that we've lost LACR. Heck, it wasn't much but the Bernieplex RAN almost every week! Never heard Bernie talk about that track all that often though...maybe that's why it's gone?;)

Darryl...you and Sweeney have been around a lot longer than I...(not calling you guys old...but..) and have truly seen the DEFORSTATION of the So Cal Drag Strip...(OCIR..LIONS..IRWENDALE....SANTA ANA...FONTANA..(the original)...RIVERSIDE...CARLSBAD...and NOW LACR). Your right, PALMDALE wasn't the best "BONE IN THE YARD" but it was there! And Yes racing at Palmdale was fun...ESPECIALLY WITH THE CROSS WINDS AND POT HOLES, but IT WAS THERE! It was the place I made my 1st ever pass down a 1/4 mile, in my buddies VW Bug....16.55 @ 74 mph...*STILL HAVE THE TIME SLIP TOO!. Bill hit it on the head....BUILD IT IN TEMECULA...!!! Near the indian Reservations!!! Would Draw from both San Diego, and LA...Right off of 15...and DARN NEAR SEA LEVEL TOO!!! Banning was an OPTION...but that place is hotter than a Stolen Credit Card during the summer...and Windy as hell during the santa ana months.

We need another "BEACH". A track that would draw both LA and San Diego, and all parts in between. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I wonder when there gonna take down San Onefre Nucular Power Plant???

A WASTED OPPORTUNITY. I read the city resolution and it sounded like they gave you two extention after extention to start building and the only dirt that was ever turned was from a shovel during one of 5 ground breakings.

Why didn't you just get on the bulldozer yourselves and show the city some progress? That's why you guys lost your permits because other than filling out some paperwork you sat on your asses and showed no progress while you screwed around with the Surfers car. That's what is stated right on the resolution as the reason why: NO WORK WAS EVER DONE TO THE FACILITY!! Also shame on NHRA for not getting involved when it came apparent the ball got dropped. Southern California needed that track.

If you guys want to redeem yourselves go up to Spokane and buy that track before the indians get it and make a golf course out of it. You and Moe would get along fine.

Last edited:
Timmah,

Mess with my Temecula grapes???? Just to build a silly drag strip?????

went to every track on your list except LACR, was way young at Fontana, and the Santa Ana Airport was before my time, per say (i'm not That freckin' old)... made my first passes at the County in '71 I think, only ran at the beach a couple of times... don't let the gray hair fool ya, I'm still a youngin'...

Does SoCal need a strip? Yes.... but do they really want one is the question... I don't mean the 1% of the population that 'gets it', I mean the 15 plus million that live in SoCal... they wanted the pipe yard instead of the beach, they wanted the brewery instead of the 'dale (why I still won't drink Miller)... and the County? Have they ever built anything there? Hope the 'Old Folks' at Leisure World still get a good night sleep...

Nope Timmah, there's a reason I left SoCal almost 25 years ago... even a blind man could read the writing on the wall... &itch about street racing, but don't give the kids any place to run...

sorry guys
d'kid

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back