Ned (1 Viewer)

James

Nitro Member
Congratulations to NED and NHRA for pulling off an old school barn burner. Too many people packed in to small of space and except for those who would complain about free ice cream everyone had a great time. Yes there are some things that need to be done to make it better. Yes there will be some growing pains. But dayummm did the Northeast crowd show up in force to let the NHRA know how much an event like this is appreciated up here in New England. Here's to many more years of in your face excitement here in the great Northeast.

That's good to hear....that race is only 27 miles from my parents house in MA, so I may have to "visit" them this time next year!

Congratulations to NED and NHRA for pulling off an old school barn burner. Too many people packed in to small of space and except for those who would complain about free ice cream everyone had a great time. Yes there are some things that need to be done to make it better. Yes there will be some growing pains. But dayummm did the Northeast crowd show up in force to let the NHRA know how much an event like this is appreciated up here in New England. Here's to many more years of in your face excitement here in the great Northeast.

I agree, It was such a great weekend James! I think the growing pains can be overcome, but they definately hit the nail on the head with 99.9% of the event!

Now I can't wait until Indy to circle my 2014 schedule for the 2nd annual race!!!!

That dinky little timing tower and smaller stands really give it an old-school charm that is missing from the larger facilities.

I like it. :)

That dinky little timing tower and smaller stands really give it an old-school charm that is missing from the larger facilities.

I like it. :)

I totally agree. I love the tower....I thought more than a few times during the coverage about how most the people that usually fill those massive starting line behemoths had to actually rub elbows with the normal average fan, and use the porta-johns. Maybe something rubbed-off on them. I heard the shareholders were going to spend the profits on upgrades....hopefully, it's 90% for the great fans, and only 10% for the tower rats.

I did notice that the race teams all had the same thing to say, and often. The people were GREAT, which is soooo cool. Way to welcome big time racing Epping!

Last edited:
From what I gather from watching the show, they will expand the facility for next year with the money they made today.

I heard the shareholders were going to spend the profits on upgrades....

Every penny of profit that has ever been generated at New England Dragway has been spent on upgrades.

No stockholder has ever seen any return on his/her "investment".

The track motto is "Built by racers, for racers".

I totally agree James, an excellent event start to finish. I took this photo Friday and I felt the crowd was larger Saturday and Sunday.
i-jrhF5cJ-X2.jpg

3 days a packed house = recipe for NHRA and track owner profits; that's
a helluva crowd for friday (ed's pic)
sponsors might actually notice large multi-day crowds like this;
and attendance figures could actually be released.

Last edited:
3 days a packed house = recipe for NHRA and track owner profits; that's
a helluva crowd for friday (ed's pic)
sponsors might actually notice large multi-day crowds like this;
and attendance figures could actually be released.

A sardine can is packed tight, but the bottom line is there is not much in it.

A sardine can is packed tight, but the bottom line is there is not much in it.

i disagree - any sports series or entertainment show that consistently fills
it's stadiums/theaters will if priced correctly, generate a revenue stream
that should perpetuate the series and/or specific event.
did NED & NHRA make enough money over the weekend to make it worth
the while for both parties?.....sure hope so.

would be great if NED did 50k paid spectators over 3 days, i would think
that would exceed any pre-race expectations; they sure were fortunate
with weather.

Last edited:
What was amazing to me is how close to the track spectators were. I was really close to the start line, no more than 100 feet away. That was a real treat to stand there as the cars took off.

What a great weekend and a great little race track. Really liked the feel of the place and there was so many new fans there and all that I talked to will be back and telling all their friends to come along. It was weird being an Aussie educating Americans about NHRA drag racing.

Mike, they easily got 50k there over the 3 days. Look forward to watching the facility grow in the next few years. I bet there will be plenty more seating there next year and they will still pack the place out.

Bing

there were not a whole lot of pics around from the weekend that showed the
lay of the land around the track, but on complus they had an article on NED
that had a photo from the public road feeding into facility; the dragstrip
is inline with that road and from that vantage point you can see the dragstrip
almost from beginning to end.
whatever improvements are made hopefully they won't block this view from
this public road - very unique, kinda' reminds me of cordova as track is backed
up as close to passing highway as it can be.

Last edited:
there were not a whole of pics around from the weekend that showed the
lay of the land around the track, but on complus they had an article on NED
that had a photo from the public road feeding into facility; the dragstrip
is inline with that road and from that vantage point you can see the dragstrip
almost from beginning to end.
whatever improvements are made hopefully they won't block this view from
this public road - very unique, kinda' reminds me of cordova as track is backed
up as close to passing highway as it can be.

It's incredibly cool the first time you come upon it. I can only imagine what it must be like for somebody to unknowingly come upon it at the right time!

It's incredibly cool the first time you come upon it. I can only imagine what it must be like for somebody to unknowingly come upon it at the right time!

Met a guy in the stands at last years LODRS event. Said he was just cruzing on his bike and looked over and there was NED. Figured what the hell, never been to the drags so he pulled in and asked ticket price, $10 (Friday). Figured how can you go wrong for $10 and watched 2 rounds of qualifying. Kept repeating, ten bucks, all this for ten bucks!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back