National event #25? (3 Viewers)

Talk about cutting Gainesville off at the knees! With most races struggling to fill fields does the NHRA really need another Natl. event?:rolleyes:

I'd be a bit surprised if a national event came to PBIR. I don't doubt that the surface will be good enough but the new configuration has less seating and it's only on one side of the track. From what I've seen, and someone can correct my estimate if they know better, there is only maybe seating for 4-5k trackside. As well, I don't think they currently have a large enough pit area to support a national event. That's not to say they don't have enough land to fix the pit set up but I don't know how they can add more seats; the road course is now directly on the other side of the wall next to the 1320...

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for PBIR locking in a spot on the schedule. I hope it happens... :)

How 'bout a REAL Winternationals?

i.e. A world class warm-up event in mid-January. Get the tourists, get the early-bird racers.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a National event in West Palm. I agree, it would be perfect for a winter warm up. And I'm all about an east coast race before march!

It sounds like they are going to make the track veeery nice. I would be willing to bet they would add more seating since they are making such major improvements.

It does look nice ... but I just can't see a 25th National Event. Teams were not very happy about the budgetary implications of the 24th event added this year. If it wasn't a super track by Bruton Smith, the teams would have put up more of a fight than they did. The second reason I can't see an event there is because NHRA owns Gainesville, and NHRA is not going to willingly do anything that is going to diminish the numbers for that event.

The only way I can see a 25th national event is if they schedule it for '10 so the teams have a year to plan/budget for the race and it is located on the opposite end of the schedule of Gainesville (which is very unlikely as it would put the race in the Countdown).

I do like the idea of winter testing there ... go from there, to Phoenix to Vegas to Pomona for the winternats.

Why dont they eliminate the duplicate Vegas and put in this track? It seems unfair that they go there twice. Pomona is understandable with the history and all but why Vegas? (I'm assuming they didn't already eliminate the second Vegas and I didn't read about it)

Why dont they eliminate the duplicate Vegas and put in this track? It seems unfair that they go there twice. Pomona is understandable with the history and all but why Vegas? (I'm assuming they didn't already eliminate the second Vegas and I didn't read about it)

This is the WORST idea I have ever heard.

The fact that I live in Vegas and attend both events every year has nothing to do with my opnion on the matter ... no sir ... nuthin' at all. ;) :p

To have a 2nd race taken away from YOUR home track is horrible! I'm still not over losing the fall Baytown race. :(

I would be willing to bet they would add more seating since they are making such major improvements.

Essentially the renovation is complete. There are a few things to address like building a new tower and finishing the electrical work but they are done putting in seats from the best I can tell. They removed seats on one side of track to better route the road course. As well, to make it clear where they are at in the process, this weekend was supposed to be the reopening of the strip but they pushed it back about a month due to delays. They also cancelled the annual 5 Day bracket race...

The big issue is if they hold a event before Gville they would again cut off there nose in-spite of their (NHRA) face.
And if they hold it after Gville it will be a smoke fest,just look at the temp's and humidity in West Palm today. :eek:

hey, elimanted the 2nd pomona if they quit vegas 2. Screw history like everyone else said no sense in keeping with tradition just to keep a race going. Look like it will be a nice facility. might move gater to that track like they did with columbus and norwalk.

How about this, move the second Vegas date to the swamp, it's closer to Virgina. Move the finals to Las Vegas, the drivers and crews will still be here for the SEMA show, the good people of La Verne CA will be 50% happy and the winners will have a good place to party!

I don't know Chris Cook, but I think he is correct, taking a race away from here........I mean Las Vegas is a bad idea.:D

Dan

OK, stupid me thought this was a new facility.... until I saw it was Moroso just renamed. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to the Nostalgia drags and the citrus nationals.....

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back