My First Prius Experience... (1 Viewer)

Toejam

Nitro Member
Well I went to Phoenix for the Boat drags, and when I wandered on the Natl. car lot for compacts I see a Prius. And that stoked my curiosity, I figured don't knock anything without trying it first! Well I should've asked someone HOW to start one! Instead I sit in the thing for about 2 minutes, looking at the Power switch and going OK Now what?? Finally I get out and hunt somebody down to give the 411. Anyway so I get the thing started, I pull out of the garage only to hear the Motor quit at the Guard shack. I was like......uhhh ohh!

Sure enough the thing takes off from a stop on Battery, it's only when your over 15-20 MPH that the Engine kicks in. One thing that suprised me is you can never hear the switch from Gas to Electric except at Stoplights, the transition is flawless! Anyway driving on the Freeway was a suprise, those things have some Pep. I got up to 75-80 suprisingly easy. And all your information is on the Dashboard refecting on the Windshield, when your on Battery, when your on Engine, etc... The most impressive thing I did notice is the Head and Leg room. Most newer cars I have to stoop down to get in the Rooflines are soo low, but not this one. And yes the Gas mileage is amazing! After putting roughly 80-90 miles on the car it showed me getting 48-49 MPH!

Basically I have to say I was quite impressed! Not sure what they cost or if I would buy one new anyway! But in the Summer when gas creeps up to $4.00 per I can see why they are so popular!

Hey Joe... I'm guessing that you had fun on Friday night?? You got there before the band did!!!

Can't wait to see the pics :cool:

Yes Martin I did have a blast! Too bad I couldn't stay late, Charlie Fegan gave me VIP parking which unless I get to the track by 8:30 or so is gone! But what a crowd! I sure miss those local rock days here in Abq. when you cold go to clubs and see Full crowds! I'll be back in Jan for testing, I'll be sure to stop by there again....

Anyway driving on the Freeway was a suprise, those things have some Pep. I got up to 75-80 suprisingly easy.
Then why the hell is it that nearly every time I encounter one of those ugly things on the highway the driver is usually going about 10 mph below the limt? :confused::mad:

Then why the hell is it that nearly every time I encounter one of those ugly things on the highway the driver is usually going about 10 mph below the limt? :confused::mad:

Because 90% of the people who buy them are soo freaking paranoid about Saving the Planet they feel guilty driving anything!:p

There's gotta be a way to take off with both gas and electric. You could really haul...

Ted when you Punch it off the line it goes Gasoline right away and it's faster than I thought that's for sure!;)

The only way I could get rubber in a Prius was on wet pavement doing a brake stand and even then it was an extremely brief squawk... Also not good for the car.

I have driven quite a few as my wife sells Toyota's and I have opportunities to help out at area shows... My preference is for the Honda Civic Hybrid which has fairly good acceleration and I have been able to achieve higher mph with it than with a Prius but the technology is different so the Honda has more seat of the pants feel. The Prius is actually a decent riding little car if you don't mind slow acceleration.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back