My Vegas experience... (1 Viewer)

The Swegian

Nitro Member
was simply fantastic. After missing the Mater meeting in Indy, I finally got to meet up with everyone at The Strip; Chris Schoen and his wife, Lisa, Terry Brewster, Paul Flores, Brian Papallo, Tim Charlet, Chris Cook, Paul Rogers, Joe Sherwood, Greg Rice, and Kelly Holmes. I would especially like to extend my sincere gratitude to Joe (Joe, thanks for going out of your way to introduce me to everyone), Greg (Greg, I plan on being in Dallas for next year's event), and Kelly (Maters, if you haven't met Kelly, she IS as sweet and fun in person as you might think) for letting me be the little puppy tagging along. Wow, what fun we had watching Saturday qualifying at the fence while swillin' a few adult beverages. I had a blast hanging out with you all and can't wait for my next event. Unfortunately, that may not be until Joliet in June as I'll be on a cruise when the season starts in Pomona and Vegas1 is an unknown at this point. Well, I didn't take any pictures cuz Joe takes enough for everyone. I don't think I've ever been so bummed when an event is over.

Mark it was great finally meeting you as well. And I'm glad you got to meet us diehards, hope to hook up sometime next year.

D-5 Vertically Challenged Dudes Rule Mark!!!

No more Nascar for you buddy! It was my pleasure...and what you said...I 2nd....Thanks to all them "VEGAS PIT MATERS!"

...oh and PS: "A FEW BEVERAGES????" :confused:

Timmah! <---Still at work..after getting to bed at 2am last night... HOW WAS YOUR HALF DAY Kelly?

1/2 day? Forget that! I didn't go at all!

I had a great time y'all! Thanks for kidnapping me and MAKING me stay another day! :)

And thanks for the compliments, Mark!

Mark, it was a pleasure meeting and hanging with you Sat and Sun. That was a great race, one of the best I`ve ever been to at the Strip. Believe it or not, I feel pretty good today, of course, I got plenty of sleep...I was never awake past 10 pm any night I was out there!

1/2 day? Forget that! I didn't go at all!

I had a great time y'all! Thanks for kidnapping me and MAKING me stay another day! :)

And thanks for the compliments, Mark!

Yeah were gonna have to work on something better than the NAPA NYMPHO'S To replace the Brut Brigade!:D

Vegas is a wonderful venue to experience NHRA drag racing. I was able to compare it with Firebird Raceway earlier in the year and a few things stood out.

Track access: At Firebird, traffic was piled up out on the freeway hours before the first pro sessions on both Saturday and Sunday. Vegas was a breeze in comparison. In Phoenix, I paid $5 or $10 to park depending on which lot I was directed to -- apparently at the whims of the attendant. General parking at LVMS is free.

Toilets: At Firebird you wait in line for a Porta-Potty. Vegas has many clean restrooms with running water and soap. That's right, at Firebird there's no place to wash your hands.

Return road: In Vegas, the cars and drivers return in front of the cheering and appreciative spectators. At Firebird, they take the stealth route back to the pits.

Accomodations: Hotels in Vegas are not completely sold-out within the 20-mile radius from the track.

Spectator areas: The spectator walkways at Firebird are often clogged with people. I never once experienced this at LVMS. At Firebird, when a fuel car fires in the staging lanes -- everybody stands. At LVMS, when a fuel car fires in the staging lanes -- everybody sits.

Vegas is a wonderful venue to experience NHRA drag racing. I was able to compare it with Firebird Raceway earlier in the year and a few things stood out.

Track access: At Firebird, traffic was piled up out on the freeway hours before the first pro sessions on both Saturday and Sunday. Vegas was a breeze in comparison. In Phoenix, I paid $5 or $10 to park depending on which lot I was directed to -- apparently at the whims of the attendant. General parking at LVMS is free.

Toilets: At Firebird you wait in line for a Porta-Potty. Vegas has many clean restrooms with running water and soap. That's right, at Firebird there's no place to wash your hands.

Return road: In Vegas, the cars and drivers return in front of the cheering and appreciative spectators. At Firebird, they take the stealth route back to the pits.

Accomodations: Hotels in Vegas are not completely sold-out within the 20-mile radius from the track.

Spectator areas: The spectator walkways at Firebird are often clogged with people. I never once experienced this at LVMS. At Firebird, when a fuel car fires in the staging lanes -- everybody stands. At LVMS, when a fuel car fires in the staging lanes -- everybody sits.

Great Analysis....Reason....THREE WORDS....

MISTER BRUTON SMITH!:cool:

Hey it was great seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Had a blast..as usual. Chris..dad just got his ticket for Sunday @ Pomona..he's gunna look for you and Lisa.

Again..was great seeing everyone in Vegas :D

T

Believe it or not, I feel pretty good today, of course, I got plenty of sleep...I was never awake past 10 pm any night I was out there!

Schoen... So, I left the track right after I said by to you guys. My Flight was scheduled to leave at 9:01pm, so I headed to the Luxor for my Only Buffett of the weekend. Prime Rib..Yum! After 7 beers and sun, nitro, and hot women, (Kelly and your wife!):D nothing taste's better. I was in and out of the Pharoh's Feast Buffett in 30 minutes. Once I got to the airport, I watched my BOYZ...DA SOX beat the hometown team to win the world series. That was the most quiet flight back to denver I've ever been on! I hit the pillow at 2am, and was up at 4:30 to be at work at 5am! At the Spring race, were gonna have to keep you up until at least Midnight! Of course in April the Yankee's will still BE IN IT!:D

Timmah!
Proud Member of Red Sox Nation!

Oh man, you had to go there, huh Tim! Congrats on your boyz big win though...you only need 19 more to catch the Yankees!

Terry, I`ll look for your Pops! It`s just going to be Antone, bro in law John and myself this weekend though.

Thinking back, now that I'm getting ready to head to bed and get a good night sleep, there were a few things that I'll take away from this years AC DELCO NATIONALS!

1) Meeting the Maters! It was way cool putting faces with the great personalities. Watching the races from the Pit with ya'll, as we "CALLED OUR SHOTS" (Not alcoholic, but Performance of the cars), and predicted the proper way to, uh..."TAKE ONE FOR THE TEAM". I met some great people this weekend who have become good friends!

2) Seeing John Force at the Track! Nothing made me feel as proud of being a NHRA member than seeing John Force, our SUPERMAN, being home at the Track again! Seeing him with that BLUE HOSPITAL GOWN, and that Walker, trying so hard to get a good look on the starting line, showed me once again how truly amazing he is!

3) THE ATTENDANCE FRI-SUNDAY!!! For those of you who thought the countdown was not working to draw more people out to the track, WELL...One word... SELLOUT! I don't think the LVMS has EVER SOLD OUT, but it did on Sunday! The stands were packed all weekend long! Great to see this!

4) MIKE NEFF...PROVING ME WRONG! I have to admit, I was the one who said...NOT TELL NEXT YEAR! But, Mike has "IT". It's an intangible talent that some people possess. Seems that John Force can pick em, because Robert and Eric have "IT" too!

5) Having Jack meet my Mom! My Mother has not been to a Drag Race since the 1989 WDRS Event in Las Vegas, (AT THE OLD TRACK). The quickest car she has ever seen was Rick Santos' SMALL BLOCK THAT ROARED! My Mom has had some email correspondance with Jack, and when we walked up to his pit, and he looked right at her and said..."THERE'S MY BIGGEST FAN", and gave her a big hug, that made her a DieHARD DRAG RACING/FAST JACK BECKMAN fan for Life!

6) The SPEEDWAY CHILDRENS CHARITY POKER TOURNY! Playing poker with new buddy's Justin Humphries, Dave Connolly, Brian Olson, and Allen Johnson, was awesome. Having Morgan Lucas take me out all in, sucked, but it was all Jack's Fault. He sat down at the table and I went out two hands later! Still, it was a great time!

7) (9) IN-N-OUT Double Doubles!!! Over a 5 day period, I tied my Record with (9) of the worlds best Cheesburger's In Paradise!

8) Speaking of Cheesburger's in Paradise....JIMMY BUFFET at the MGM Grand on Satuday night. Enough Said!

The Trip to Vegas this year was awesome! As much as I would rather be Driving in any class at a national event, and everytime the yellow light flashes, my (Right Thumb twitches) (Left foot is released from a clutch pedal) or Right Foot stomps down on an Imaginary Throttle pedal)....I had a great Vegas Race!

You guys were right! I liked the strip a lot!

Mater meeting was awesome.

Facility is very clean, plenty of room, well staffed, easy to get to, excellent sight lines from the grandstand seats etc etc

Registered member said:
...the NAPA Nymphos...
smilielol5.gif

...ribs....hurting....

Tim, I think that reserved seating has sold out a few times in the past and it was the general admission sales that set the record for attendance. Maybe one of the LVMS folks will chime in here and give us the lowdown.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back