Moby Dick--Ezra Boggs (1 Viewer)

Muddy

Nitro Member
I have no first hand knowledge of this but was told late yesterday that Ezra Boggs was moved from the hospital to hospice care by a close friend who is very reliable. He was put on pain management only. Ezra has been in the hospital off and on for the last several weeks and is suffering from MERSA which has entered his blood stream. I've known Ezra since the 60s and always called him a good friend. Not only is he a good friend to me, Ezra is a friend to everyone who knows him. He has a long history of driving funny cars including the Colt 45 and Moby Dick in the 70s and 80s. Please keep him in your prayers.

I have no first hand knowledge of this but was told late yesterday that Ezra Boggs was moved from the hospital to hospice care by a close friend who is very reliable. He was put on pain management only. Ezra has been in the hospital off and on for the last several weeks and is suffering from MERSA which has entered his blood stream. I've known Ezra since the 60s and always called him a good friend. Not only is he a good friend to me, Ezra is a friend to everyone who knows him. He has a long history of driving funny cars including the Colt 45 and Moby Dick in the 70s and 80s. Please keep him in your prayers.

God be with him!

For those who are interested Ezra is at last report holding his own and in fact they held off moving him to hospice care Saturday evening. I've not heard a report since yesterday afternoon when one of his tests showed a very very slight improvement. He's a fighter and if anyone can come back he's one I would pick.

Hope he gets better to the point that he can enjoy some more quality days. I remember the Moby Dick car and hope that Ezra continues to cackle with us for a while longer.

Would be interested to know the reason they named the car after one of my favorite novels.

Thank you for the updates.

This was taken at Amato's trailer, probably Pomona around '94. Great guy, hope he pulls through.

Attachments

• IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 45
As an update Ezra took a turn for the worse about the time I posted the last update and the outlook is not good at all.

When Ezra passes, St Peter will meet him and take him to Heavenly Drag Strip (which of course looks like Lions). The Moby Dick Vette will be there and St Pete will give Ezra a flame proof fire suit and tell him "Suit up. You run right after LaHaie".

Ezra passed last night about 10:00 in Norman Ok. I'm sure the family appreciates the kind thoughts and prayers from all. He will be missed by many. I'm also sure he was met by both St. Peter and his many good friend including Beatle and Pat Foster. A memorial service will be held.

Hope he gets better to the point that he can enjoy some more quality days. I remember the Moby Dick car and hope that Ezra continues to cackle with us for a while longer.

Would be interested to know the reason they named the car after one of my favorite novels.

Thank you for the updates.

Ezra Boggs bought the car from the original owner Steve Gold, who was one of the owners of a Minneapolis bar named Moby Dick's. Jerry Boldenow was the driver under Steve Gold's ownership. Jerry was also a bartender at Moby Dicks.

Last edited:
Ezra still had the funny car. I suspect his wife will be trying to sell it soon although I've not been told that. It's in good shape and complete but hasn't been started in a few years. Would need some TLC to be ready to cackle or race in a nostalgia class although I don't believe there is anything wrong or broken on the car. I do know he updated the chassis at some point. About a year ago he asked me to assist him in selling it and we did a complete inventory of the car. I was quite impressed at the quality of everything. He changed his mind about selling before we got it done. He just wasn't ready to let go of it.

I hope someone buys it and at least puts it on display. That car is drag racing history. I'm amazed that so many old drag cars still exist.

FacebookTwitter

Ezra Boggs

March 17, 1944 - February 20, 2019 Boggs, Ezra, a longtime resident of Norman, OK, went to his heavenly home on February 20, 2019 after a brief illness. He was born March 17, 1944 to Earl and Mamie Boggs.

Upon graduating from Norman High School, Ezra enlisted in the Marines to serve his country.
Ezra enjoyed farming with his father, Earl until the time of his father's passing. But his true love was race cars. Ezra was a member of the NHRA and AHRA and raced funny cars, Moby Dick and Colt 45, and match racing all over the United States from 1965 -1985. He was proud of his high speed going 250 mph. Ezra spent years in the racing community developing lifelong friends, meeting some monthly for lunch at Grill on the Hill. Many of his friends were with him until the end.
Ezra also enjoyed tinkering with cars, jukeboxes, antiques, or anything he could take apart and put back together. He spent hours with friends in his garage. He had a craft for creating things and a passion for sharing those things with others. He loved helping his grandson's baseball teams creating playing cards, framed photos, wooden lockers, or anything they needed, it gave him great pleasure to help.

Ezra was preceded in death by his parents Earl and Mamie Boggs. He is survived by his loving wife of 24 years, Margaret Box Boggs. He leaves behind two daughters, Kathy Sanford and her husband Mike, of Norman; Kelly Burleson and her husband Brett, of Edmond; four grandchildren; Brandon Lance and his wife Amber, of Edmond; Megan Nitzsche and her husband Mark, of Edmond; Sierra Burleson and Pierce Burleson, of Edmond; six great-grandsons Cayden Knox, Easton Lance, Beckett Lance, Hudson McCormick, Corden McCormick and Calvin Nitzsche, all of Edmond. And a host of friends who share many memories of Ezra and his generosity over the years.
Ezra loved life and loved spending time with his wife and family. Family brought him great joy.
A memorial to celebrate Ezra's life will be at 2pm, Saturday, March 16th at Southern Hills Baptist Church located at 8601 S. Pennsylvania

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back