Missing Bob Frey (1 Viewer)

Rollout96

Nitro Member
So I haven't been to a national event in a few years but made it out to Sonoma this weekend. I made the title of this thread to show that I really missed hearing Bob Frey's voice and jokes and GREAT knowledge all weekend.

However, I wanted to say that Alan Reinhart was AWESOME in his own right. I had never heard him announce the pros before and he really made it enjoyable. I kept thinking how tough it must be to "follow" a legend like Frey but his knowledge was great and his timing and delivery made it easy to hope that he gets this gig for a long time.

His Arana jokes (calls all three of them Hector) had us cracking up.

Just wanted to give some props...

I miss Bob,Mac,and Evans also but in my opinion Reinhart is as good as any of them. Each brought a different style and I think Alan is better then anyone at announcing sportsman cars.

IMO,
He was a talented voice, and very good if he could control himself. Personally, I don't miss Frey at all. Frey never knew when it was time to joke, and time to be serious. Everything was a joke with Frey, and it made TV almost unbearable to watch when he went into full Frey goof mode. It was like he was entertaining himself, and not respecting the drivers or promoting the sport in the manor in which it (they) deserved..

I personally think the greatest blow to NHRA was the untimely death of Steve Evans. That guy was a communication genius. He had the uncanny ability to allow the fan to relate to any driver's highs and lows during his interviews by sharing with us his personal relationship with the drivers and their teams.

Alan does an incredible job, and NHRA is very fortunate to have his talents.

Last edited:
Frey went out on top. God bless him.

Alan's doing a great job - I listen to him WHILE I watch and listen on ESPN3

I listen to "Fast Jack" at the Phoenix testing years ago. This guy could easily
have a career in broadcasting. You had to be there !

No doubt Mac and Evans (for me) are the voices of the nhra. But I have to admit, the current crew (this year), in the espn 3 format (both Friday and Sunday) has made nhra relevant to me again. I still raced, and attended events, but this year is the first since maybe the diamond p days that I religiously watch the races.

"Fast Jack" is one of the most intelligent and articulate racers around. He's a treat to listen to.

He & Antron did a good job at the DRAW auction @ RP This year. Although it bummed me that Bob & Alan didn't do it (especially with Bob being from NJ). It was great especially when Antron and the little boy & his pops got into a bidding war over a Don Garlits artwork.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back