who wrote bob frey's script (1 Viewer)

I was NITRO BREATH

Nitro Member
Just finished watching the awards dinner on you tube. Bob Frey made me cringe too many times with his "jokes" and Mike Dunn was embarrassing with his 'hand in my pants' comment. They better come up with a better writer next year.
On the other hand Tony S and Mike E made great great acceptance speeches.
Memo to Tom Compton---- you gotta make some changes next year

did watch it at 4 this morning... think it's kinda like listening to Bob, The Full Throttle/ GEICO guys, and even AR 75 days a year... not much new that can be said... so the jokes, most of which did fall flat, were poking fun at twitter, Face Book, My Space...

Some of us don't even know HOW to send a text message on a cell phone... and don't laugh, I still have some 8 tracks running around the house, nothing to play them on, but still got them... I also have licorice pizzas, more cassettes than I care to think about, VHS tapes, and I really miss my nextel walkie talkie/cell phone... and the rotary dial telephone... I really miss my boom-box.

and you guys thought Joe was a caveman:eek:

by the way, I type with one finger and have to look at the keyboard.

d'kid
is it 1984 yet?

I like Frey, but I didnt think it was good. I did like the champions speeches and I was really impressed by the Full Throttle guy. Hell, he knows more about our sport and drivers and sponsors than Paul Page.

Just finished watching the awards dinner on you tube. Bob Frey made me cringe too many times with his "jokes" and Mike Dunn was embarrassing with his 'hand in my pants' comment. They better come up with a better writer next year.
On the other hand Tony S and Mike E made great great acceptance speeches.
Memo to Tom Compton---- you gotta make some changes next year
:confused:Here we go ... season's barely over but we need to criticize something. Its gonna be a long off season at this rate. Who really cares, its an awards banquet. Have you ever been to one you enjoyed? They are boring except for people getting BIIIIIIIG CHECKS.

:confused:Here we go ... season's barely over but we need to criticize something. Its gonna be a long off season at this rate. Who really cares, its an awards banquet. Have you ever been to one you enjoyed? They are boring except for people getting BIIIIIIIG CHECKS.

Good point. With the exception of the CMA's, :D most awards shows are bad.

Some of us don't even know HOW to send a text message on a cell phone... and don't laugh, I still have some 8 tracks running around the house, nothing to play them on, but still got them... I also have more cassettes than I care to think about, VHS tapes, and I really miss
and you guys thought Joe was a caveman:eek:

by the way, I type with one finger and have to look at the keyboard.

d'kid
is it 1984 yet?

Karl, keep the jokes coming...makes all us old farts laugh. A lotta truth in those statements, at least with the stuff I cut & pasted above. Well, I HOPE I don't have any 8-tracks laying around or boxed up in the attic, but I do have lots of old cassette tapes and occassionally I pull one out and listen to it and am amazed at how well they have held up. I recorded all my own cassette tapes with quality recording equipment (at the time) and used typically the best cassette tapes available and they haven't deteriorated as much as I would have expected. Have tons of VHS tapes around too, mostly with old drag racing shows from the TNN days to current, well up until I moved to DVR and now I can't save all the NHRA shows for long so that's probably a good thing :)

I type with more than one finger but do have to look at the keyboard quite a bit.

Keep entertaining the 'Mater world with your skewed logic as there is more truth than fiction in most of your ramblings. I too have followed JFR racing since the beginning and was a HUGE fan of Farkonas-Coil-Minnick back in the Chi-Town Hustler days and wish I had gotten to see them when they were THE match race champs that they were and Austin Coil was the braintrust for that team 15+ years before John Force hired him so he's a legend in his own time.

Later....

Last edited:
Karl,

Just realized I was also responding to your comments on this post also, so figured I would cut & paste your post in here so people did not wonder where I was coming from in my last post since it was on the Bob Frey thread. Oops.

Kurt

I have been a 'follower' of Austin Coil since the late '60s. He is the main reason I've ever paid attention to John. I do believe that the 'combo' went down a road that looked promising, yet didn't pan out in the long run. All that is need right now, during the 'off season' is a set of fresh eyes to get back to a baseline. Coil didn't become stupid, he did not wake up one morning and forget 40 plus years of setting up a fuel car.

d'kid

Frey doesn't deserve the criticizm? Gimme a break!

PS: I haven't watched the awards show.

I didn't see the show, but it doesn't matter. I'm a big fan of Bob's, I think he's a very important person as far as the media portion of the sport goes. Regarding his humor, I think he's a funny guy, and when he's corny, it's kinda on purpose, ya' know? But when he's serious, it would be hard to find anyone more knowledgeable or passionate about drag racing.

I didn't see the show, but it doesn't matter. I'm a big fan of Bob's, I think he's a very important person as far as the media portion of the sport goes. Regarding his humor, I think he's a funny guy, and when he's corny, it's kinda on purpose, ya' know? But when he's serious, it would be hard to find anyone more knowledgeable or passionate about drag racing.

Nunzio:
Are you old enough to remember the great Paul Schneider from Niagara/Lancaster/Cayuga?

Mark, where are you from? As I've posted many times (proudly) my dad ran A/A in the mid '60s to early '70s. I spent many a weekend at Niagara, and he ran Cayuga too very often. Nowadays I pop out to Lancaster when they have their nostalgia meet. I don't remember Paul Schneider, guess I was too young to pay attention to who was announcing.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back