Ouch, Bob Frey retiring (1 Viewer)

Bob
enjoy the time off and NO TRAVEL!!!
I have enjoyed your reporting both live and written for years.

Congrats Bob---enjoy those grandkids. I know I sure love mine. They are only small once.:D

Congrats to Bob on a great career. He's been great for the sport. I'm sure he is tired of all the travel involved.

I wonder who's gonna be the voice next year. Of course there's Reinhart and Leo.

Could also get Jim Krassewski or Joe Castello from WFO.

Congratulations, Bob. Enjoy your retirement. Thank you for your contribution to the sport of drag racing.

When I was track announcing, Bob was a source of inspiration and I wished I could be 10% as good as he.

Hopefully, he can find a Volare to do a complete resto on. :)

He is the Vin Scully of drag racing!!!! His stories, especially during oildowns, are classic!!! Enjoy the retirement Bob and hope to see you at the track in the stands!!

Sorry to hear this. I have had the honor to announce with Bob from time to time, over the years. He is the best. I got so many tips from him, and learned so much.
Also spent some personal time with bob, when PRO was testing in Tucson. The guy is a class act, and will be missed.
Spending time with Bob has been one of the great highlights of my time announcing.
I have been here quite a while, yet, have only posted once. Love the site.
At this point I would rather read, learn, and laugh.
My best to Bob, and all the Maters.

Ouch is right!
But, we got to enjoy him for a long time, and I guarantee we are not going to miss him as much as his family would if they missed out on having him around.
Have fun with your family, Bob, you have earned it!
Tim

Wow I'm stunned. Gonna be tuff to not hear Bob's voice echoing thru the nooks and cranies of racing facilities.

Thank you Bob for all that you've done and your contributions hold just as important place in drag racing as the racing itself.

Wow I'm stunned. Gonna be tuff to not hear Bob's voice echoing thru the nooks and cranies of racing facilities.

Thank you Bob for all that you've done and your contributions hold just as important place in drag racing as the racing itself.

I couldn't have said it better. I'm really going to miss Bob's "skinny, geeky, bald-headed announcer" voice at all the races, but I'm glad he'll be enjoying time with his family. Well earned, but we're really going to miss him.

Icon defined. How lucky are we, to have had that amazing person, in the sport we all either participate in and/or follow and love? A motorsports legend. Best of luck to him. In my opinion, he is absolutely in the same company with Howard Cosel or Walter Cronkite. Thank you Bob, for focusing your commentating career on racing - and not on Men's Figure Skating :) :D

Last edited:
I suppose this was inevitable, but that doesn't mean I have to like it for my own selfish reasons.

Most drag racing fans know Bob for his announcing skills and incredible knowledge of the sport. I have the privilege of being able to call him a good friend. Dinner at the end of a racing day with Bob, the guys from Auto Imagery and my fellow reporting colleagues is something I've always enjoyed. Bob's personal help with statistical tidbits at national events for all classes of drag racing increased my ability to do my job at a higher level.

He's also one of the funniest people I've ever met. A few years ago, the NHRA was sending Bob to a few select NHRA divisional events to provide a closer look at our sport at the sportsman level at smaller drag strips. I recall at one of those divisional events in Noble, Oklahoma, there was a rain delay. Bob did what could best be described as a couple hours of stand up comedy over the track PA. That was the best rain delay ever! :)

I'm truly going to miss him at the races, but I also understand why now is the time. Enjoy your retirement my friend!

Say it isn't so Bob :( You have been a rock and an icon in NHRA history. Who's going to keep up with all those stats for us?

Wow, this hurts. But good for Bob, he certainly deserves to relax a bit and enjoy his family. I've met him a couple of times over the years, and to me it was just as cool as meeting any of the racers. He's just a super guy, and has been a very big part of the sport. Bob, thanks for your contribution to the sport, and enjoy life with your family!

I wish him well

As for a replecement, bring back Unk

" now stop me if you've heard this..."
and
"say hello to your new #1 qualifyer"

Two of my favorites by Bob.
Enjoy yer retirement Mr. Frey, gonna miss you sir.
wish you all the best.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back