Ouch, Bob Frey retiring (1 Viewer)

I got to speak to Mr. Frey for a minute at Maple Grove. I told him how much he will be missed and gave him some good natured ribbing about not consulting me before retiring. He took it in stride and joked back, all the while with a big smile on his face. He seemed at peace with the decision, and you can't fault his reasoning for wanting to be more a part of his family's life.

The nicest thing I can say about Bob is that there are a tremendous number of smart, quick and funny people in the NHRA and Drag Racing as a whole ... and Bob Frey's absence will still leave a giant void. He will be missed.

I have never seen anyone work a room like he did at the Garlits rat roast at Pomona and got to spend a minute with him and a photo in the museum the night before.

Listening to the audiocast from the other side of the world will never quite be the same.

I wonder if Frey will pass the keys to the Aspen on to Reinhart? Isn't that the official NHRA announcer's company car?

It'a all a hoax. Reinhart is building a Hemi to stuff in the Aspen so Bob can go racing.

This just in: Wild West Engineering has just taken delivery of a crate Hemi from AJPE (and moved all that Ford stuff to a dark corner...) and there's been an enclosed trailer with Jersey plates circling the block...:D ;)

having watched Mac retire, now bob, then the 'ghost track' thread re-emerges
and re-reading Mac's storys, NHRA should get a handful of these legendary
personalities together to tell the story of drag racing from the 50's thru
at least the 80's and put it out on a DVD set.
the tv series 'hot rodding' hosted by chip foose does a great job, but how about
a 6 hour (at least) documentary of drag racing told by these great personalities
of the sport while they are still with us.
the owners, announcers, track owners/promoters, drivers, mfg'rs.

Last edited:
Bob's last day. :(

Favourite Frey Quote "Competition Eliminator is God's way of saying you have too much money."

Favourite Frey Moment: Mid-90s @ Brainerd, I was on the starting line, shooting pictures for the Winnipeg Sun. I was wearing a red Canada t-shirt and Fred Flintstone sweatpants (it was easy to find myself on the tv broadcast). Bob was taking shots at my wardrobe and summed it up with "On, he's from Canada".

If you're on Twitter, let's try to get #bobfrey trending today. Bob would have a good laugh at that.

Bob's last day. :(

Favourite Frey Quote "Competition Eliminator is God's way of saying you have too much money."

Favourite Frey Moment: Mid-90s @ Brainerd, I was on the starting line, shooting pictures for the Winnipeg Sun. I was wearing a red Canada t-shirt and Fred Flintstone sweatpants (it was easy to find myself on the tv broadcast). Bob was taking shots at my wardrobe and summed it up with "On, he's from Canada".

If you're on Twitter, let's try to get #bobfrey trending today. Bob would have a good laugh at that.

Except, Bob doesn't do twitter....

Aside from that it's a great idea! LoL

Alan

having watched Mac retire, now bob, then the 'ghost track' thread re-emerges
and re-reading Mac's storys, NHRA should get a handful of these legendary
personalities together to tell the story of drag racing from the 50's thru
at least the 80's and put it out on a DVD set.
the tv series 'hot rodding' hosted by chip foose does a great job, but how about
a 6 hour (at least) documentary of drag racing told by these great personalities
of the sport while they are still with us.
the owners, announcers, track owners/promoters, drivers, mfg'rs.

OUTSTANDING idea!!!

I think tonight's Awards ceremony should be capped off with Alan and Lewis honoring Bob with a major award for such a memorable tenure.

Bob is a man of knowledge! He had taught me so much with his broadcasts. I even won a trivia contest at Race Rock in Las Vegas with all that information!! Surely going to be missed!! Enjoy Bob!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back