Message To ESPN (1 Viewer)

The qualifying show next Saturday night (actually Sunday morning) is on at 12:30 am Eastern, and follows the Mississippi vs Fresno State football game. I'm guessing the combined total of living alumni from both of those schools is about, what 200,000 people? You KNOW ESPN is going to run that game long and blow out the NHRA telecast. :(
ESPN is going to run the game long? Uhm, yeah. They have control enough of a college football game to do that. :rolleyes:

You know perfectly well what I meant. "Let the game run long".

Are you just argumentative because it's fun?

You know perfectly well what I meant. "Let the game run long".

Are you just argumentative because it's fun?
No. I just call stupid posts what they are. Stupid. You are the one that insinuated that ESPN can control how long a game goes, not me.

200,000 (and the other 750,000 college football fans that will be tuned in) alumni are still more than watch NHRA racing every week.

I like the sport has not become so poplular that I can walk the pits on raceday. I like that when I have a racing shirt on and I see someone else (which is rare) we can talk funny cars and nobody else will have a clue what we are saying. I like that it has never become mainstream.

What I dislike, is people slamming ESPN because they choose (or got paid more) to show more popular sports than NHRA and feel like drag racing should trump everything on sports TV.

But, I suppose people gotta complain about something.

No. I just call stupid posts what they are. Stupid. You are the one that insinuated that ESPN can control how long a game goes, not me.

200,000 (and the other 750,000 college football fans that will be tuned in) alumni are still more than watch NHRA racing every week.

I like the sport has not become so poplular that I can walk the pits on raceday. I like that when I have a racing shirt on and I see someone else (which is rare) we can talk funny cars and nobody else will have a clue what we are saying. I like that it has never become mainstream.

What I dislike, is people slamming ESPN because they choose (or got paid more) to show more popular sports than NHRA and feel like drag racing should trump everything on sports TV.

But, I suppose people gotta complain about something.

I have experienced ESPN cutting off or pushing back coverage because of womens basketball or college softball. I don't see either one of those as "more" popular than NHRA drag racing.

750,000 college football fans to watch Fresno St vs Mississippi???? I want some of what you're smoking.

I have experienced ESPN cutting off or pushing back coverage because of womens basketball or college softball......

i believe there are federal laws mandating equal coverage of women's
collegiate athletics and i think that includes TV coverage.

unaware of any legislation mandating drag racing coverage

I have experienced ESPN cutting off or pushing back coverage because of womens basketball or college softball. I don't see either one of those as "more" popular than NHRA drag racing.

750,000 college football fans to watch Fresno St vs Mississippi???? I want some of what you're smoking.
ncaa-womens-ratings.png

NHRA averaged .063 in 2008, So yeah, it is more popular.

i believe there are federal laws mandating equal coverage of women's
collegiate athletics and i think that includes TV coverage.

unaware of any legislation mandating drag racing coverage

Thanks Mike..I was unaware of any such legislation. If that is indeed the case than that really ties ESPN's hands on the issue. Not bashing ESPN just wish they would give it the coverage I feel it deserves.

Sorry Greg...was talking about WNBA. I understand that college football and basketball will always out rank drag racing. I just seems that what is on, or coming on is always more important.
My guess is, the WNBA pays more for coverage than NHRA does. Or, at least the ESPN believes that they have more of a following.

Not to mention, live events will ALWAYS push back taped events. ESPN will never pull a "Heidi" like NBC did in the 60's.

My guess is, the WNBA pays more for coverage than NHRA does. Or, at least the ESPN believes that they have more of a following.

Not to mention, live events will ALWAYS push back taped events. ESPN will never pull a "Heidi" like NBC did in the 60's.

I can understand that. The coverage the sport now is much better than it was with TNN, but it could be so much better. I can see being moved for the NCCA basketball. I don't understand getting bumped for the SPORT of poker? Or being moved for billiards.

I can understand that. The coverage the sport now is much better than it was with TNN, but it could be so much better. I can see being moved for the NCCA basketball. I don't understand getting bumped for the SPORT of poker? Or being moved for billiards.
Again, its the almighty dollar. ESPN is in the business of making a buck, be it NCAA sports, drag racing, poker, or the Wide World of Gopher Hunting.

Face it, there is a reason ESPN pays for the majority of their programming, but NHRA has to pay them to be on. 98.5% of the nation doesn't care about it.

NHRA needs to step up an invest for an NHRA channel. This is where it needs to be. Live all the time, anytime of the weekend. Past races during the week. Maybe a few original shows. How can they be so lazy on progress

That would be a huge undertaking, I would think. And would NOT pay for itself. Not all cable channels do.

Thanks Mike..I was unaware of any such legislation. If that is indeed the case than that really ties ESPN's hands on the issue. Not bashing ESPN just wish they would give it the coverage I feel it deserves.

but that doesn't tie ESPN's hand when it comes to underestimating the time an event will take...

even the most casual of stick and ball sports fans knows a college basketball game will more often than not take longer than 2 hours to complete, yet ESPN continually only allows for a 2 hour window in the schedule for them...at this point they HAVE TO KNOW they are over scheduling and many, many events are going to run over into the next program scheduled

scholarships men vs. women are equal for college athletics; think it
spills over to tv coverage as well although not 100% sure.

IMO nhra coverage on espn2 is great - i have even complained that 3 hrs. is
too long yet i watch at least 75% of the shows in their entirety.
love the late sunday same day delayed coverage, couldn't ask for better.
forget the live deal, too hard to pull off with a medium subject to so many
random delays.

random delays.

I meant live being the channel is on at the race showing without time windows. It needs to happend. It would pay for itself, yet the NHRA does NOT WANT YOU TO THINK THAT!

random delays.

I agree that the coverage is great. TNN tried the live coverage deal and you're right, it just doesn't work with this sport. I can only extend programing on my DVR for 3 hrs and sometimes I miss the end of the event when it runs late. I wouldn't mind paying extra for a NHRA / Racing channel, like you can do for other sports.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back