McPhillips/Stewart disqualified (2 Viewers)

I’m still confused about the statement in the team’s press release that said the part is not required to be certified in Top Alcohol.
But, it doesn’t mention the part about which the statement is referring.

so basically a rookie from nascar is in the points lead and it didn't sit well with others. NHRA steps in and penalizes him, losing the points lead...................Hmmm where else has NHRA done this ??

Interesting that as far as I know, we have not had a quote from Tony Stewart on this incident. He has been very warm and fuzzy about NHRA drag racing since he got involved a few years ago. I hope this doesn't sour him on the whole experience. I also believe that this doesn't eliminate him from Championship contention, as there are still 5 - 6 weeks of racing left.

Interesting that as far as I know, we have not had a quote from Tony Stewart on this incident. I hope this doesn't sour him on the whole experience. I also believe that this doesn't eliminate him from Championship contention, as there are still 5 - 6 weeks of racing left.
If anyone would have a quote, I believe it would be the McPhillips Family, and I don't see them as that sort of group.

As far as Tony, he is only 21 points out of the lead,. I'm not sure how many races he has left to claim, but never count him out! He has enough going on with NASCAR.

Go get it Smoke!
poof ...

Smoke is the reincarnation of one of my heroes, AJ Foyt (whatterya mean he’s still with us?!? My bad…) and he was famous for letting people know EXACTLY how he felt. But if you drive for another team, let them do the talkin…

Last edited:
If anyone would have a quote, I believe it would be the McPhillips Family, and I don't see them as that sort of group.

As far as Tony, he is only 21 points out of the lead,. I'm not sure how many races he has left to claim, but never count him out! He has enough going on with NASCAR.

Go get it Smoke!
poof ...

Ray,
McPhillips did release a statement:
Alan

Statement on Behalf of McPhillips Racing Regarding Tony Stewart’s

Disqualification at the Carolina Nationals

“McPhillips Racing prides itself in being honorable in all of our racing competition.
Prior to Tony (Stewart’s) Round 1 of eliminations at the Carolina Nationals, NHRA
confiscated the magnetos on Tony’s Top Alcohol dragster. It was brought to our
attention that the magnetos, which we had purchased used from another team, were
found to not be within NHRA’s tolerance. The part had been unknowingly modified
prior to us purchasing it. The part is not required to be certified in our Top Alcohol
category. We regret that Tony was unable to compete in the Carolina Nationals due
to this violation. The team is solely owed by McPhillips and Tony has no say in the
purchase of parts. McPhillips Racing accepts full responsibility and going forward,
we will be more vigilant in inspecting and testing used parts that we purchase.”

Alan,
I did see that statement. I don't believe the McPhillips Family would throw anyone under the bus, so to speak is all. It is their responsibility to make sure everything is up to snuff.

Thanks

I don't do too much of this on these boards but have to make this statement about the McPhillips team, in the last 15 years when our paths have crossed, they have always been stand up people and love the class as much as any of the competition they face. I don't believe for a minute that they knew there was something improper on their race car or they would have taken it off immediately. They have worked as hard as anybody to make their equipment as fast as anyone else in the class. I am quite sure that the next time they are in competition they will be at the top of the qualifing list. As far as Tony is concerned, he has been an asset to the class and I am quite sure that over his years of experience in the motorsports industry, he will be able to determine what his next step will be.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back