McPhillips/Stewart disqualified (1 Viewer)

Clear as mud.
I'd find a different distributor of parts. I hope the name is released. But I'm not going to hold my breath. Goodluck Team McPhillips/Tony Stewart

It's probably something as simple as a cap and/or rotor not made by MSD. It doesn't take much to go from the green area to the gray area of the rules. And the gray area is usually the red area. Everyone making guesses isn't going to bring out the truth. Waiting does.

at first, my guess was something aimed at traction control, but now reading between the lines it sounds to me like someone has found stronger generator magnets than come with them from MSD for increased primary current, i.e., might help from dropping cylinders or being able to burn more fuel = more power. Pro Mag 44 has a range of 42-44 amps OEM, and stronger magnets can get to 50+ amps. That's the "out of tolerance" quip in the article.

It's probably something as simple as a cap and/or rotor not made by MSD. It doesn't take much to go from the green area to the gray area of the rules. And the gray area is usually the red area. Everyone making guesses isn't going to bring out the truth. Waiting does.
The part had been unknowingly modified prior to us purchasing it.

He said, she said.

I say No way, they're too busy!

Meanwhile Nataas takes the points lead, while Tony sits it out.
I remember as a kid saying, I can beat you with both hands tied behind my back. lol
That's what came to my mind as I read your post.

I know some are not going to like this take, but I got this from a comment on FB and maybe whomever wrote it is onto something:

Tony Stewart was one of the people that spearheaded that big money race in Bradenton. That is not an event put on by the NHRA and maybe they are pissed off about it, so they decided to "nitpick" on his team until they found something that could use an excuse to DQ or suspend him as a "get back." I'm sure you know someone - or maybe it happened to you - who was working at a job, everything was going swimmingly until a member of management decided they don't like him/her and started looking for any reason to let that person go. Same deal here.
The NHRA may sometimes look it but are not stupid and fully understand that they are in a much much better place with Tony not only owning two very high level top tier fuel teams but also has brought a lot of new fans and sponsor interest into the sportsman racing world which is ignored by the casual fan, simply by competing in it on a full time basis. Good to see Michael Waltrip on TV yesterday and adding sponsorship to the Koretsky Pro stock car. Maybe Joe Gibbs will wander back in someday !

So will the NHRA pay a visit to the team that sold the Mags to McPhillips?
You are assuming that who he bought them from runs NHRA. It is also possible that the were puchased from someone who runs a different type of racing and where those modifications are legal.

Stan

Anything is possible in this situation. I however do think NHRA would benefit with Tony Stewart winning the championship in TAD. At years end more people would know that Stewart won a championship than any pro racer.

Let’s look at the recent timeline with team McPhillips. In Pomona they exchanged pleasantries with the Ahten team on the starting line. One of the McPhillips teams gets in a fight in Norwalk with another TAD team. The Salinas family and the McPhillips family have a disagreement and break off their agreement following Brainerd. The team wins in Maple Grove and takes over the points lead. The team is disqualified in Charlotte. I think it’s fair to say that NHRA didn’t go looking for something on their own on Friday night. Somebody knew something and it leaked around the pits until someone let NHRA know about it. I know nothing and I’m not accusing anyone else involved. They know how to tune cars but also ruffle some feathers along the way. If something is fishy on the car and someone else knows about it, NHRA will find out.
So you claim someone knew something, and a sentence later you claim you you know nothing. That doesn't make any sense.

Definitely your fair share of conspiracy theory wack-a-doos ~:)~ in this joint.
How about enlightening us by putting your 35 years of experience into use, and explain your thoughts as to how this occurred then, instead of the usual smart-assness??

The part had been unknowingly modified prior to us purchasing it. The part is not required to be certified in our Top Alcohol category.”

Last edited:
How about enlightening us by putting your 35 years of experience into use, and explain your thoughts as to how this occurred then, instead of the usual smart-assness??

The part had been unknowingly modified prior to us purchasing it. The part is not required to be certified in our Top Alcohol category.”

NHRA said “Ignition System” had been modified. They did not say specifically the Magneto. The “Control Box’s is a big part of this $5000 + ignition system for each Mag. Modifying the “Box” so it can automatically make changes by reading something digitally would be a No - No. Not knowing that you bought something used that was modified unfortunately is not NHRA’s problem. Even though Tony didn’t know about this he is quite familiar with this kind of thing from Stewart - Hass in NASCAR on a much larger scale..

NHRA said “Ignition System” had been modified. They did not say specifically the Magneto. The “Control Box’s is a big part of this $5000 + ignition system for each Mag. Modifying the “Box” so it can automatically make changes by reading something digitally would be a No - No. Not knowing that you bought something used that was modified unfortunately is not NHRA’s problem. Even though Tony didn’t know about this he is quite familiar with this kind of thing from Stewart - Hass in NASCAR on a much larger scale..
Essentially, the magneto is one of the parts that NHRA doesn’t allow any changes to the stock configuration without the series’ approval in advance.

“It has to be approved, manufacturer parts only,” Walliser confirmed, “And this had unapproved parts in the magneto.

Hey , I got an idea……….I think I’ll visit the place where I have no respect for anyone’s opinion and make myself look like a fool in the process!

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back