Lost/Forgotten Drag Strips - Google Maps (1 Viewer)

Michael, that's about the coolest thing I've seen for a long time! Thanks for sharing that with us. Since I'm an ...ahem... "experienced" racer, it's really interesting to see tracks that I've raced at that have fallen by the wayside. Thanks for a really neat trip down memory lane.

Very cool that he's made this available. I've been doing this same thing for a number of years and have around 300 dragstrips in my collection. I'll have to see if he has found any I haven't, or vice versa. The historical imagery feature in Google Earth is very helpful (not available in Google Maps) for identifying defunct tracks from the relatively recent past (< 30 years), plus I have some topographical overlays that aid in finding old tracks.

Very cool that he's made this available. I've been doing this same thing for a number of years and have around 300 dragstrips in my collection. I'll have to see if he has found any I haven't, or vice versa. The historical imagery feature in Google Earth is very helpful (not available in Google Maps) for identifying defunct tracks from the relatively recent past (< 30 years), plus I have some topographical overlays that aid in finding old tracks.

I was thinking about the historical imagery on Google Earth as well David........it would be cool to see how some of these drag strips have disintegrated over the years.

Speaking of lost drag strips, does anyone have the following book:

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Drag-Str...L4M_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1400615792&sr=1-1

It looked like an interesting read and it's getting good reviews, so I thought I would pick one up. Probably more so for the pictures than anything!

Thanks Mike, pretty sad though Kansas City wanted property to build soccer fields, ball fields etc. but the map shows track still there less tower bleachers an few buildings, they used there powers to take away something people enjoyed, revenue generated for surrounding business and then do nothing with it.If I had the money i would consider taken legal action to retain property back it obvious they took it under false pretenses.:mad:

Thanks Mike, pretty sad though Kansas City wanted property to build soccer fields, ball fields etc. but the map shows track still there less tower bleachers an few buildings, they used there powers to take away something people enjoyed, revenue generated for surrounding business and then do nothing with it.If I had the money i would consider taken legal action to retain property back it obvious they took it under false pretenses.:mad:
Same story for Fremont (Baylands)... 26 years after the place closed "to be developed into a business park" the land sits bare.

I noticed that Dallas Raceway is closed That's a premium facility anybody know why. I googled it but didn't get much info. Hope someone takeS it such a waste

Cool stuff-lived and went to college in Rohnert Park , Ca next to Cotati, CA-new their was an old strip (Cotati Drag Strip) their didn't realized I drove over the top of it many time!

U.S. 30 Dragstrip in Hobart, IN is still there.. the concrete is anyways, and the AHRA crest. It's about 20 minutes from home, but shut down when I was only 2. I have piles and piles of pictures from when my dad raced there. It's amazing to see how many places from national event hosting tracks to little mom and pop 1/8th mile tracks have come and gone.

There are a couple of lost drag strips in earshot of my home that I pass by on a regular basis heading to my parents house. The cool thing about them is that it's where Buster Couch got his start in the NHRA. Both of the drag strips are close to Covington, GA, one of which is a trailer park now......the main road in the trailer park is the actual drag strip!

I think I mentioned it before on here, but not sure how long ago. My Dad grew up with Buster drag racing back in the 50s....I ended up buying my lake home from Buster's sister back in 2007. It's hilarious some of the stories my Dad told me about Buster in high school......he said that Buster was one bad ass SOB!!! And obviously we saw how he took control of that starting line!!

Last edited:
I always hate to see another drag strip close to build another stupid mall or condo complex.

There are so many wonderful memories in every one of these old abandoned drag strips.

Just my opinion. Jim Hill

I searched through all the ones that still exist and there a few with some work could reopen if there's improved economy to support it.:cool:

What an exhustin job.
A couple you might have missed was Saugus (Ca) and Gilfillan Field on Highland Ave in Fontana. The Pomona Choppers car club ran that one before going over to the Fairground. Oh yea -Raisin City South East of Fresno, famous for four wide racing. Defunct Norton AFB tried an 1/8 mile experiment about 15 years ago, and Rialto Airport did the same later
It burns my butt that the Santa Ana Drags, thanks to some Johhnies - come - lately call the airport Santa Ana Airport - it was Orange County Airport, Now John Wayne. We new we were going to Santa Ana to race, so that's correct. It would be like calling Morrow Field, the home of Colton Drags. Colton Airport.
Perryville Az due west of Phoenix was where the rained - out finals from the '55 Nationals at Great Bend Kansas were held as the players left were either Texans or Californians. The site is South of I10 near the Nascar track.

Last edited:
Thought of a couple more that might have been one -time use.
NHRA's Safety Safari history mentions the California State Championships in '54 held at Madera Airport.
On a personal note , yrs truly flat - tow'd my partner's 2300 lb roadster with my flathead aboard from San Bernardino over Cajon Pass to 138 and over the last half of the Grapevine to Minter Field in Shafter Southwest of Famoso off Lerdo highway with my '56 Chevy.
It was the biggest turnout of Dragsters I think anywhere at the time. Searchlights pointing downtrack were the only lighting.
Crazy kids!.

I was reading a blog that said a truck salvage company purchased Dallas Raceway and will be turning it into a salvage yard. Does anyone know if that is true and is this track done as a Drag Strip. Surely there's someone living close to the facility that would know.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back