Reflections of Eric- (1 Viewer)

Eric%20H.jpg

I saw this photo on johnforceracing.com, and it reminded me of Eric running all the way up the return road from the far end at E-town last year. He was the first guy out in Funny Car that day, but you would have thought he'd just won the race! While sporting that trademark smile, he waved to the crowd the whole way up. We were sitting on the right lane side of the track, and you could hear the cheers follow him up the return road like a wave. We were laughing our butts off at how hard he was running. I remember turning to my dad and saying "That'll be the best run we see all day!" In hind sight, it really was.

I was showing this picture to my father yesterday, and he reminded me of just what was going on in this picture. As Eric was running, the guy with the Dale Earnhardt hat, had dropped the hat over the wall. Eric was a good ways past that, when he suddenly turned around and went, picked up the guy's hat, gave it back to him, and shook a few hands. It's probably the most important part of the story, and I can't believe that I forgot it. But it's just another wonderful reminder of the guy that Eric was. It's been a long one week, and I'm going to stay with this memory from here on out.

I have enjoyed all the stories about Eric and have one or two of my own, the first time I met him was in 2004 at the Las Vegas race. I was working at a radio station and we were broadcasting all weekend from the pits right next to the Bernstein camp. Eric showed up with that “Goofy” grin of his face. Toward the end of the interview I told him my wife thought the little ritual his Dad did was so cool. He said it is cool, looking out the window of that Mustang and seeing his dad and all the crew. “You know those movies that give you the chills? I get paid to get the chills 8 times a weekend”.

Last October we were talking to him during the pre race ceremonies and I asked him about the Spa episode of Driving Force and about the bit with he and John in the pool. Was that a little creepy my wife asked? He just smiled that smile and said “I’ll do anything to drive a Funny Car.”

The last time we saw him was at the Nitro Blast off we were sitting in our car relaxing when he walks up and starts fixing my seatbelt and talking to us about his uncles restaurant. It has always amazed me the way he seemed to remember everybody he met and made us all smile.

Eric was one of the best people we have ever known. We will never forget him and am are happy he passed through our lives.

We put together a video / picture show of some of our personal pictures and some of his runs from testing. I hope you enjoy it.

Dan & Cheryl Lea

Click on the danlea.tv then clickon the video screen on the left.

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back