Krisher Crashes? (1 Viewer)

The contact with the wall was not negligible - the Auto Imagery guys caught a great sequence of the accident and the wall impact was hard enough to send the front bodywork flying over the wall and the rear of the car got several feet in the air from the impact. Side impacts are perhaps more dangerous than front-end impacts because the crush zone is much shorter and the impact tends to rattle the driver's head off the roll cage.

It was definitely a scary crash and a testament to the effectiveness of current safety equipment.

What I want to know is when is NHRA gonna make them put the fuel cells back in the rear of the car. That is two crashes he has had in a year or so and both had pretty good fires with them because of the front end hitting the wall. I know fuel lines etc are gonna get torn off if the impact is bad enough but seems like with the cell hanging out front is asking for trouble.

Ron was released from Methodist Hospital about 7:30 PM. Karen drove him to the track to his car hauler, where a number of Pro Stock racers/crew members came by to check on him. He was still chatting when I left him at 8:30 PM. He's alert, able to move around (slowly), has a fractured left rib, burned left arm and back, left hip bruise.

I was at the race car when he was removed through the driver's door opening by a doctor, who told me later, "The HANS device saved his life".

Fred Simmonds
GM Racing

Fred,

Welcome to the Mater! Your timely 1st post is most appreciated since we are all concerned for Ron. I am glad to hear that Ron was wearing a HANS device and you know I just assumed that he was wearing one, but I bet many still aren't since it is not a requirement. The fact that he was knocked unconcious is enough to let everyone know that the wall slap was pretty hard and thanks to the Safety Safari for getting there as quick as they did to put the fire out or Ron could have been burned much worse. Anyway, appreciate you stopping by to let us know.

~ Kurt

What I want to know is when is NHRA gonna make them put the fuel cells back in the rear of the car. That is two crashes he has had in a year or so and both had pretty good fires with them because of the front end hitting the wall. I know fuel lines etc are gonna get torn off if the impact is bad enough but seems like with the cell hanging out front is asking for trouble.

I was wondering the same thing.

As I remember, the real reason for the move of the cell to the front of the car was so tech would have an easier job tracing fuel lines. This was during the time when lots of rocket fuel and additives were being used.

I can't see a single good reason for it to be on the front of the car even though it is cradled in a chrome moly frame. Let's put the thing back where it belongs before someone gets seriously burned.

Yes, I am aware that other classes (TF, FC, TA/D, AFC) also have it mounted in front but it's actually between the frame rails instead of lighter tubing framework. Besides, if there's room in the rear it needs to be there.

Ron was released from Methodist Hospital about 7:30 PM. Karen drove him to the track to his car hauler, where a number of Pro Stock racers/crew members came by to check on him. He was still chatting when I left him at 8:30 PM. He's alert, able to move around (slowly), has a fractured left rib, burned left arm and back, left hip bruise.

I was at the race car when he was removed through the driver's door opening by a doctor, who told me later, "The HANS device saved his life".

Fred Simmonds
GM Racing

Fred,

Thanks so much for the update, and probably more importantly thank you VERY MUCH for your efforts to get all your drivers wearing HANS.

This crash got me to thinking about the location of the fuel cell also. If they're going to continue to insist it be installed up there where it acts as the front "bumper" than they need to require better protection for it in my opinion. This is starting to happen with some regularity and it's obvious the cell is exposed enough to cause problems in crashes like this.

A bladdered cell would probably cut down a bunch on these types of fires.But also don't forget that when using an electric fuel pump all it itakes is a line to come off a carb to have a fueld fire even if the cell is in the rear.So if the pump is not shut down you are still fueling the fire so to speak.A bladdered cell would help from the BIG fireball.heck sprint cars Big time with very few fires from the fuel cell area.

..........But also don't forget that when using an electric fuel pump all it itakes is a line to come off a carb to have a fueld fire even if the cell is in the rear.So if the pump is not shut down you are still fueling the fire so to speak..................

One of the prime reasons NASCAR teams still use the mech. fuel pump, although even they've been having fires when cars hit the wall hard enough to break the pump off of the engine block.

Two cents...

The contact with the wall was not negligible - the Auto Imagery guys caught a great sequence of the accident and the wall impact was hard enough to send the front bodywork flying over the wall and the rear of the car got several feet in the air from the impact. Side impacts are perhaps more dangerous than front-end impacts because the crush zone is much shorter and the impact tends to rattle the driver's head off the roll cage.

It was definitely a scary crash and a testament to the effectiveness of current safety equipment.

Amen Larry. It was a serious impact and side impacts are worse in MHO just for the reasons mentioned. Rockey Keyes fatal incident at HRP a month ago was very similar, but what was different is that the car didn't roll to shrug off some energy, hit on the left front and then slammed the driver's side into the wall.

I've notice something that I'm curious about on this accident and the P/S fire in the lanes a few races ago. Why do they attack the fire from the passenger side which seems to direct the flames toward the driver? I'm not bashing the best safety group in the business, but it seems that happened in both cases - must be a reason why.

I've notice something that I'm curious about on this accident and the P/S fire in the lanes a few races ago. Why do they attack the fire from the passenger side which seems to direct the flames toward the driver? I'm not bashing the best safety group in the business, but it seems that happened in both cases - must be a reason why.

Somebody told me that it's so the chemicals that are in the fire retardant/supressant aren't directed into the drivers eyes/nose mouth.

First & foremost, I'm glad Ron is alright - that was a nasty crash.

But while we're discussing the location of the fuel cell on Pro Stock cars, let's reinvigorate the mandated HANS device conversation too. I find it absolutely amazing that there are still racers who won't wear one. While NHRA is wasting all their time developing new points systems, why don't they take an extra five minutes out of their day & mandate HANS devices already! They're arguably the cheapest safety measure devised in the last two decades & they won't mandate 'em! They'll mandate heat treated Top Fuel chassis', change maximum nitro percentage, limit air pressure in rear tires (ok, that might have been cheaper), mandate rev limiters, etc., but they refuse to mandate a Head & Neck Support! Am I off my rocker in thinking this is pure madness?

Thank the Good Lord above Ron had the good sense to wear one, if what I read on here is true (and I'm sure it is) it saved his life.

Russell,
in both cases this year (Tony Rizzo and Ron) the Safety Safari guys simply approached the car from the right side. Both cars were in the left lane at the time of the fire, as was Krisher in his first incident last year. The extinguishers on the start line are between the lanes and the fire crew simply took the shortest route to the car. The same with the top end guys in the Krisher incidents, they hit the flames asap.
Both the Rizzo and lastest Krisher fires did show up a problem however. The initial blast of extinguishant is powerful enough that it spreads the flames away from the nozzle and at least briefly increases the volume of flame--maybe something to look at fr the future,

Roo Man

To me, an even more eye-opening (and under-reported) statement came from the same article...

Here's what Pro Stock Indy winner Greg Anderson thought of Krisher's crash post-race.

"I felt bad about the whole deal, I like Ron. The bottom line is:
that one could have been prevented," Anderson said.

"The race track was not quite up to standard and he went out there and got caught by it.

And after that
we went out and looked at the race track and said, "Fix it!" and then everyone was fine the rest of the day."

Last edited:
Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back