Karamesines Coming To A Track Near Me! (1 Viewer)

Imagine...The Snake, The Bounty Hunter, The Greek, The Mongoose, The Ace, Big Jim Dunn, Grumpy, Glidden, TV Tommy....

Wouldn't you just love to sit all these guys down in the same room shootin' the breeze....

My first Gators was 1975. I was able to get a photo pass as I freelanced in photography back then. It was my first race with a Nikon motor drive that I bought used from Barry Wiggens (old timers should remember him)
Was down in the lights standing next to Jon Asher as THE GREEK was making a pass with his fueler that instead of chrome was plated with 24 caret gold. Car got out of shape big time smacked and crawled down the guard rail down past the lights. Parts and pieces flying all over the place. I held the shutter down and captured 7 shots of the incident that were published in Hot Rod Magazine and some magazine in Sweden.
Went back many times but not in the last 26 years. The Greek is always entertaining - what a character!

If I remember that was also the same year that Dick LaHaie crashed and a jet car driven by Russell Mendes also crashed killing him.

Yes that is true about lahai's and Mendes. What I remember about lahai's incident is that the car would not shut off and with Gvilles long shut down it was really flying as it was under power well past the 1320 mark.
Mendes's incident was most likely caused by the front wheel coverings that he used acting like rudders. Car was drifting to the left , he tried to correct by steering to the right without suuccess. When the rocket power was cut front wheels were turned to the right and the wind grabbed the wheel coverings and steered him directly into the gaurdrail. The car about disinigrated upon impact.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back