Karamesines Coming To A Track Near Me! (1 Viewer)

Prestaged

Nitro Member
According to the Gators entry list, "The Greek" will be trying to qualify at Gainesville. Hope that is accurate. I was thinking I might never get to see this guy race again. For those of you too young to remember him in his prime, well, there are some advantages to being old. :)

Roger..

I'm with you "Bud" I luv the "Golden Greek" your right you need a few years under your belt to know him... I guess I just gave it away I'm not 21 :(

The Greek gets a few in every year, mostly IHRA. They will have to bury him to keep him from racing.
And boy can he drive, IIRC he had a fuel altered (if you think a funny car is a handful....) before he drove a rail.

Talk about an inspiration for us older fans, The Greek is a legend in this sport. Not to mention a hell of a nice guy. Hope he wins the Gators!!!;) ;)

My first Gators was 1975. I was able to get a photo pass as I freelanced in photography back then. It was my first race with a Nikon motor drive that I bought used from Barry Wiggens (old timers should remember him)
Was down in the lights standing next to Jon Asher as THE GREEK was making a pass with his fueler that instead of chrome was plated with 24 caret gold. Car got out of shape big time smacked and crawled down the guard rail down past the lights. Parts and pieces flying all over the place. I held the shutter down and captured 7 shots of the incident that were published in Hot Rod Magazine and some magazine in Sweden.
Went back many times but not in the last 26 years. The Greek is always entertaining - what a character!

Didn't he get a round win at Houston a few years back? I think he upset Dixon or Shoe. I was hoping he'd make it out this year.:cool:

What an icon..and someone we can really appreciate for his staying power..and personality.

I would like to see him do well..otherwise I end up thinking that it's a sport that a little guy can't even come close..not even The Greek. (which makes me sad)

The "Greek" usually makes the trek to Gainesville and tries to qualify. I guess he wants to rub noses with all the old drag racers that seem to make an appearance at the Gators. Saw TV Tommy Ivo last year. The difference is Chris Karamesines is actually trying to make the show! I hope he can get in this year, but the conditions are looking good for some great runs (temps in the high 60's low 70's) and that makes it tougher for low buck teams to qualify. The qualifying field cut-off in T/F is gonna be in the low 4.60's or high 4.50's my guess and it'll take a stout run to make the field. Can't wait!

I recall the "Greek" has actually been to at least one final against Gary Ormsby in the late 80's or early 90's.

It is always fun to see he is entered at an event. Gives hope for all of us that are "maturing" rather quickly.

He made it to the finals against Amato a # of years back, Joe was pretty upset about beating his childhood hero but needed every point at that time.
I don't think the Greek really cares as long as he's racing, he is loving every minute of it. I don't believe he has ever won an NHRA event, but I don't think anyone has been in more of them.:)

watched him as a child - wish he'd come back to brainerd, haven't
seen him for a few years - one those living legends.

I recall the "Greek" has actually been to at least one final against Gary Ormsby in the late 80's or early 90's.

It is always fun to see he is entered at an event. Gives hope for all of us that are "maturing" rather quickly.

I believe that was LeGrand Nationals in Montreal. I think they ran the finals on Monday.

Late.........Mitch

The IHRA race at Martin conflicts with Brainerd, so I suspect The Greek will come around the south end of the lake that weekend instead of heading north. He was one of the first Top Fuel drivers I ever saw, running against some guy named Kalitta and another guy named Garlits, back when US-131 first opened.

I went over to Great Lakes Dragaway last year for thier nitro match race weekend, and the Greek made a couple great passes. Beat Zizzo 2 for 2.

P9020193.jpg

Oh Ray! That picture of Dunlap is BRUTAL!! So you want to drive a front engined Nitro car huh? Yuck!:eek:

The IHRA race at Martin conflicts with Brainerd, so I suspect The Greek will come around the south end of the lake that weekend instead of heading north. He was one of the first Top Fuel drivers I ever saw, running against some guy named Kalitta and another guy named Garlits, back when US-131 first opened.

Hmmmmm & "How OLD are we" :D Can I call you "Pops"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back