Juan Pablo Montoya to NASCAR (3 Viewers)

well if Danica leaves,that will be 2 drivers I won't be watching next year.
I mean really.Look what Gordon did yesterday. and got away with....and they call that racing.........all the more evidence where the real racing is.

on the 1/4 mile:cool:

It's not an excuse, but Matt did the same thing to Gordon earlier this year.

JPM and Danica, wow Nascar is trying to bring them all in.:p I wish Nascar (and the IRL) had another road course or two.:eek: Maybe Larry H. Miller's track in SLC in the near future for Nascar??

Last edited:
I just returned from lunch and while listening to the local sports station on radio, they mentioned that Danica Patrick's father was at Joliet this weekend actively talking to some Cup teams trying to get her a ride in NASCAR next year!

Talk about a marketing slam dunk for NASCAR......Montoya AND Danica next year....what an opportunity.

Marketing is what NASCAR is all about anymore.They are going to the car of tomorrow that has all bodies fitting a common template, the only difference will be the headlight & grill decals. They already hand out what shocks you can use & that little import tuner wing will be handed out also.Next is common spec. motors.Sure starting to smell like IROC to me.I am done ranting my opinion.
Mike

I'm sure this will be a kick in the balls to F1 racing.

Not really. He was already second to Kimi Raikkonen in team Mclaren due to Raikkonen's superior on track performance. Rumor was that he was going to be replaced and would have had to move to a second order team anyway.

For the kind of money the top F1 guys get being first on your team is the only option. The salary of Michael Schumacher could cover all the team expenses for the year in T/F with money left over.

Not really. He was already second to Kimi Raikkonen in team Mclaren due to Raikkonen's superior on track performance. Rumor was that he was going to be replaced and would have had to move to a second order team anyway.

For the kind of money the top F1 guys get being first on your team is the only option. The salary of Michael Schumacher could cover all the team expenses for the year in T/F with money left over.
That's not really what I was getting at...more a kick in the balls to some of the egos overthere....F1 and some of there fans.

Some of this crossover stuff is interesting. I believe Tony Stewart has suggested that one leg of IROC should be in a winged sprint car on a dirt track. I'm for that. But I'd also like to see another leg of IROC take place on a drag strip. It would be fun to see those NASCAR and open wheel drivers behind the wheel of a dragster or pro stock car.

Some of this crossover stuff is interesting. I believe Tony Stewart has suggested that one leg of IROC should be in a winged sprint car on a dirt track. I'm for that. But I'd also like to see another leg of IROC take place on a drag strip. It would be fun to see those NASCAR and open wheel drivers behind the wheel of a dragster or pro stock car.

I'd sure like to see what Stewart suggested,also I'd like to see them in a champ car or a pavement sprint car.

isn't montoya in that new will ferro movie about nascar? check out the trailer for the movie caller talladega nights.:D :D :D

isn't montoya in that new will ferro movie about nascar? check out the trailer for the movie caller talladega nights.:D :D :D

...it's about an F1 driver going to Nascar?

I wouldn't be surprised to see another F1 guy move to Nascar. I know many Nascar guys would love to try F1 too... Kurt Busch for one.

No one has said it yet, but what a blow to the IRL, and to Champ Car. A open wheel F1 guy jumping to NASCAR. Tony George and that other Guy Better get their heads out of the sand and get open wheel racing in the states unified.

As for Montoya, sucess in NASCAR will be hard to come by in my opinion.

I'd sure like to see what Stewart suggested,also I'd like to see them in a champ car or a pavement sprint car.

I agree 100% with both you and Rich. they should have to drive different vehicles on surfaces for which they were designed. I'd love to see them all in a Silver Crown car, in a dirt Sprint or on the strip. It's not a true Champion if all the events favor one series.

on the radio this afternoon (here in england) , the news was that montoya`s contract has been terminated 8 races early , so he has raced his last F1 race

...it's about an F1 driver going to Nascar?

I wouldn't be surprised to see another F1 guy move to Nascar. I know many Nascar guys would love to try F1 too... Kurt Busch for one.

Naz... Here's a driver I'd like to see in NASCAR... Drizzt Do' Urden :eek:
Ain't he a driver from up north somewhere?

Jerrod: while we're at this new board/fresh start stuff...

Here's something that always wound me up about the old Mater and something you might like to think about! You being the BOSS posted this thread which has nothing to do with the NHRA in the NHRA section of the board, mainly because you as much as anyone know that it well get read if you put it there.

Now what gets me is not that you would do that, but the fact that on many previous occasions threads more related to NHRA racing have been moved to the "general" section where nobody reads them. Obviously of concern to me would be threads about European racing which have been moved even though NHRA is sanctioned by and is affiliated to the FIA the world governing body that runs the European Championship. These threads often bear far more relation to the NHRA section of the board than anywhere else, and definitely more relation to the NHRA section than some of the off topic threads such as this one, which the moderators have left alone.

If the mods are going to move threads around, we should at least have some consistency and I would suggest a section that would lump together the sactioning bodies that are not already covered including the international ones (ie: FIA NDRS SHRA SPRC ANDRA etc etc), this may also help bridge the gap left by the defunct Dragster World board.

I will also post this somewhere more appropriate.

Thx for listening...Rant over

Mighty

Jacques Villenueve will be next. He said a couple of weeks ago that he did not consider NASCAR to be a step down from F1 and he would explore those options should Sauber-BMW (or any other F1 team) not take him up for next season.

*my first post on the "new" 'Mater is about F1 ... BRILLIANT!

on the radio this afternoon (here in england) , the news was that montoya`s contract has been terminated 8 races early , so he has raced his last F1 race

Yep, here it is right here - a surprising turn of events, (to me atleast) I was looking forward to seeing him in the last few rounds of the 2006 F1 campaign. Obviously they won't say so, but I think McLaren is a little upset that JPM didn't inform then of his plans first. The write-up mentions a contract breach. Ever since this turn of events in his career, I've thought that he still isn't fully getting away from Mercedes and they mention a little about that at the end of the article.

Juan is (errr was) the Whit Bazemore of F1, he speaks his mind and they don't like that. I don't know if that's why I like him so much or not -- but I've always followed and enjoyed him, he seems to have a huge fanbase in the U.S. so I think this will be a good move for him if he can make the transition... he'll be embraced a lot more here.

Hey Karl, that guy's from way up North. :p

Last edited:
People go were the irons hot and right now it's NASCAR.
I hope Drag Racing gets to that status some day! :rolleyes:

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back