'97 F1 champion-Jacques Villeneuve: Nascar a viable option (1 Viewer)

I think it would be interesting to see Jacques driving in NASCAR.
I wish that he would have stuck with our open-wheel racing a little longer before he took off for F1.
I would love to see the IRL and Champ do something to promote the sport a little more. You can only depend on driver personalities so long. I have talked with other fans about it and I would like to see them merge back into one series again and work together to strengthen the sport. I love open-wheel racing but it lost a bunch when the two series split.

I wish that he would have stuck with our open-wheel racing a little longer before he took off for F1.
I love open-wheel racing but it lost a bunch when the two series split.

Why should Jacques have stayed stateside? The writing was on the wall, F1 was the way to go in '96. Plus, JV got paid ridiculous money at BAR, way more than he could have ever made stateside. The IRL was a complete joke when it first started up (a dentist won a race the first season at Phoenix), and CART had their heads up their arses. I think everyone involved in American Open wheel racing is a complete moron, and the drivers we should be watching in open wheel racing is an amazing list: Casey Mears, Ryan Newman, Kasey Kahne, Kenny Irwin (RIP), Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, JJ Yeley and Robby Gordon should all be suiting up at Indianapolis in May, not August. It is also VERY telling that Montoya chose to run for Ganassi's Cup team, not his IRL team.

I still watch Indy, and I will watch other open wheel races if they are on and the mood takes me, but I make sure that neither the IRL nor Champ Car get one red cent from me. They are starting to get the message, the stands at every IRL race save Indy are empty and the TV ratings are abyssmal. The rating for Champ Car are worse than abyssmal.

The NHRA is he number 2 motorsport in the USA by default, I really wish they would do more to really push the sport forward, because one day, when Penske, Ganassi and Tony George are out of the picture, open wheel will come back with a vengence and the NHRA will say woulda, coulda, shoulda....

Why should Jacques have stayed stateside? The writing was on the wall, F1 was the way to go in '96. Plus, JV got paid ridiculous money at BAR, way more than he could have ever made stateside. The IRL was a complete joke when it first started up (a dentist won a race the first season at Phoenix), and CART had their heads up their arses. I think everyone involved in American Open wheel racing is a complete moron, and the drivers we should be watching in open wheel racing is an amazing list: Casey Mears, Ryan Newman, Kasey Kahne, Kenny Irwin (RIP), Tony Stewart, Jeff Gordon, JJ Yeley and Robby Gordon should all be suiting up at Indianapolis in May, not August. It is also VERY telling that Montoya chose to run for Ganassi's Cup team, not his IRL team.

I still watch Indy, and I will watch other open wheel races if they are on and the mood takes me, but I make sure that neither the IRL nor Champ Car get one red cent from me. They are starting to get the message, the stands at every IRL race save Indy are empty and the TV ratings are abyssmal. The rating for Champ Car are worse than abyssmal.

The NHRA is he number 2 motorsport in the USA by default, I really wish they would do more to really push the sport forward, because one day, when Penske, Ganassi and Tony George are out of the picture, open wheel will come back with a vengence and the NHRA will say woulda, coulda, shoulda....

It is a sad state affairs for our open wheel series'.
I prefer Champ Car over IRL, though I enjoy both. I wish I had a hundred billion dollars :eek:... then this mess (U.S. open wheel) would be over with & done correctly.

I prefer Champ Car over IRL, though I enjoy both. I wish I had a hundred billion dollars :eek:... then this mess (U.S. open wheel) would be over with & done correctly.

Be patient grasshopper.....it'll be over sooner than you think.

And for the record, IRL is much better than CART just by the fact that IRL doesn't have to put up with that pussy Paul Tracy.

wonder if the two series will actually work together to better the status of open wheel racing in the US? I guess there were some meetings or lunches a bit ago and I remember reading somewhere that it could be regarding the fact that they needed to work hand in hand to bring open wheel racing back to non-laughable status.

The ONLY thing that needs to happen is somebody buy the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Then TG has nothing to bargain with and the split is over. Word around the campfire is that TG's sisters are eager to sell, as Tony spends a lot of their inheritance every year maintaining the IRL charade.

Honda will likely be the determining factor as to how quickly the split gets resolved. They are not happy being the only engine in the IRL, and they are threatening to pull out of the series at the end of this year unless the sides merge and/or another manufacturer is brought in. They are already funneling Honda USA money from the IRL to the new American Le Mans LMP2 Acura project, where they will go head-to-head with Penske's Porsches.

Be patient grasshopper.....it'll be over sooner than you think.

And for the record, IRL is much better than CART just by the fact that IRL doesn't have to put up with that pussy Paul Tracy.

I like Forsythe Racing, but I don't care for Paul Tracy... (did you see him on Wind Tunnel this past weekend?), I love AJ Allmendinger though. I like Champ Car because of the road & street (airport) courses. I wish they had more top notch road courses like Road America where they'll be in a few weeks though. Ovals are cool (Indy is great), but I like to see a little more variety and a few challenging corners.

I'm not a big street fan, but it's better than nothing. San Jose was atleast light years ahead of the ragedy surface they had last year with the light rail tracks & so forth. I'd like to see them go to SLC in the near future, eveyone seems to love
Miller Motorsports Park & I can't wait to attend an event there like ALMS.

Vincent,

I really like ALMS and the great thing about that series is that it's just like the NHRA in that the fans can walk the garages before during and after the event.

I remember back at Road Atlanta while I was working for the factory Vette teams (as a chef, not a wrench) and was amazed that they sold beer right beside the garages WHILE the race was in progress. People would walk the garages during the race beers in hand and teams scrambling to get their cars through the crowds.

Vincent,

I really like ALMS and the great thing about that series is that it's just like the NHRA in that the fans can walk the garages before during and after the event.

I remember back at Road Atlanta while I was working for the factory Vette teams (as a chef, not a wrench) and was amazed that they sold beer right beside the garages WHILE the race was in progress. People would walk the garages during the race beers in hand and teams scrambling to get their cars through the crowds.

Sounds great, I can't wait to go to the ALMS race in SLC next year.

Ding Ding Ding, I couldn't agree more. Nuff Said
S/F
D

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back