Jon Asher Article (1 Viewer)

Maybe Pro Stock has run it's course and needs an overhaul. I'd like to see it more along the lines of the A/SM cars in comp. eliminator. Yup, they're expensive to build, but if NHRA sticks to it's own rules, maybe running them won't need a millionaire's budget. Just one idea - maybe you folks have others.

I think the cost of a state of the art super mod car exceeds the cost of a pro stock car. I know that a super mod car cost almost four times what it cost me to have my L/AA (Number 5 car in the world last year) built. I'm talking about the cost minus trannie and motor.

Thanks for doing that Bobby. I was going to go to DRC and dig up an example of the huge Pro Stock fields from a few years ago. In the not to distant past NHRA got lobbied heavily to increase the field size from 16 to 32. There were over 40 cars showing up from week to week and sometimes the count would be over 50. At that time a 32 car show would have had a qualifying spread of a tenth and a half to two tenths. 32 cars would have been very competitive. This whole thing has gotten really expensive, and the cost has risen by large factors over the last five years. We're redheaded step children to most sponsors and I really worry where the money is going to come from. WJ isn't the ONLY racer that won't run out of their own pockets!

Sorry, but that article goes against everything racing is about. The one and only point of drag racing is to get from here to there in the shortest amount of time possible. Period. It's not close competition, it's not keeping it cheap enough for anyone who feels like it to compete. I just don't see all the gloom & doom people like Asher talk about. We've got more than full fields in all classes- what more do you want? Racing, especially drag racing, should be an engineering contest. You want artificial, spec car racing, go watch NASCAR. And by the way, how are their ridiculously restrictive rules working to keep things cheap? Not allowing progress like OHC, 3 plug heads, multispeed blowers, screw blowers in nitro classes, etc. shows that drag racing has lost its way. It should be run what you brung, & hope you brung enough. That's real racing. Unfortunately, some people have to always stand in the way of progress, and that's sad.
Yeah, just what the drag racing world needs....drag racing Formula 1 style.:rolleyes:

Just the other day I was having a conversation with a good friend of mine about limiting testing in the nitro classes. Which I feel should and could be done, it would be a quick fix to alleviate some of the cost, but his point was. It's the cost to make a run with one of these cars is the problem.

Maybe NHRA should come up with a nitro car of tomorrow??...for maybe 2009-2010??

I've got a little bit of a different take.... FWIW

Throw out all the parts, just haul (with proper tags and permits) a car to 23 races, fill it with diesel fuel, fly in a crew, feed the crew, head home, service the car in your garage with rent, utilities, insurance.... you get my point.

Even if you throw out the car and parts and cost to make a hit- it's an expensive sport.

Drag racing, as compared to NASCAR, is a crazy inexpensive sport. We don't have a short track program, and a plate program and a road course program....

The real problem (IMO) is that we have to do a better job communicating with corporate America. Some are scared as soon as you say "motorsports marketing". They think NASCAR at $20MM plus activation cost...

Plus NASCAR has set the bar pretty high - so a sponsor expects a higher level of professionalism from the start - where NASCAR has had decades to grow into that level. PLUS - NASCAR has a vibrant "farm system" with trucks, and Busch cars etc....

We have to do a better job of showcasing the personalities (all of them), we need more drama in each 4 second pass... we need more soap operas (I hate to say it) - we need a farm system to build our personalities of tomorrow.

The cost to race isn't the problem - it's finding and educating middle class corporate America - the sport needs MORE dollars - More DSR's and JFR's and KB's

Sorry, but that article goes against everything racing is about. The one and only point of drag racing is to get from here to there in the shortest amount of time possible. Period. It's not close competition, it's not keeping it cheap enough for anyone who feels like it to compete. I just don't see all the gloom & doom people like Asher talk about. We've got more than full fields in all classes- what more do you want? Racing, especially drag racing, should be an engineering contest. You want artificial, spec car racing, go watch NASCAR. And by the way, how are their ridiculously restrictive rules working to keep things cheap? Not allowing progress like OHC, 3 plug heads, multispeed blowers, screw blowers in nitro classes, etc. shows that drag racing has lost its way. It should be run what you brung, & hope you brung enough. That's real racing. Unfortunately, some people have to always stand in the way of progress, and that's sad.

Sorry, but I prefer beer and pretzels to wine and cheese. That being the case I would never want to see drag racing become F1.

We have to do a better job of showcasing the personalities (all of them), we need more drama in each 4 second pass... we need more soap operas (I hate to say it) - we need a farm system to build our personalities of tomorrow.

Some of that showcasing is being done now through such avenues as Driving Force. Melanie Troxel has likewise received a great deal of attention as did Erica Enders a few years ago with her Disney movie. But there are plenty of other personalities in drag racing that likewise deserve attention.

As to the farm system, let me speak a little heresy (for which I fully expect to be crucified). I think the NHRA should seriously consider separating the top alcohol dragsters and funny cars from the Lucas Oil series and give these classes a series of their own (perhaps with pro mods?). Naturally the idea would to be to get a series sponsor that would be able to put more money into the sport making it akin to an NHRA version of NASCAR's Busch series. While a top alcohol series would continue to run both regional and national events, I think a separate series would definitely help in bringing both attention and money to those classes and to drag racing. I mean haven't we all seen ESPN 2 broadcasts of the sportsman series that only showcased the top alcohol cars? The broadcasters obviously know what their viewers want to see. Why not just go ahead and give it to them in the form of a separate series?

If you think it's because all of those other people have lost interest in drag racing, you're wrong. They simply CANNOT AFFORD to do it any longer.

In my opinion, drag racing has lost its very essence with the continuing demise of the "independent racer."

Well put Jackee, I miss the days when an independant, or regional racer could show up and make the program...but it's not just the money for parts or expenses. The top teams have raised the bar so much with thier endless testing, and R&D, that it's impossible for someone to roll a car out of thier garage, show up for 3 or 4 events within a close tow, and make any kind of attempt at qualifying. I don't see how to change that with rules??

I talked to a freind of mine last ningt that races one to two events in Top Fuel per year. This is a team that races in Spokane although they want to do a couple more next year. He told me it cost 7,500 a pass in hard money, 1,500 per run in clutch parts alone.

What is considered "Affordable" when talking Professional Drag racing? How many think $300-$400,000 per year to compete in the Alky classes to expensive? I don't know how much the Comp. Eliminator or Superstock players lay down every year, but I bet it's probably over $100,000 per year just in travel expenses. I bet the DeFrank family, Al Corda or Dan Fletcher probably spend at least that much running as many races as they do. Like Dave McClelland said in Jon Asher's article "You race what your pocketbook can afford" If anyone has any idea how to make 4 sec. Fuel racing or 6 sec. PS racing affordable, I'd love to hear how that's possible!:rolleyes:

I'm "borrowing" a couple posts from another board just because they nail it when you're talking about what they used to be able to do compared to now.

"I learned to respect johnny west,i'm sure you all remember his crash,i was there that weekend.he had a very old cab over truck,a very old trailer,you know wood siding nothing inside it except one funny a little tool box and a drum of nitro....and he was kicking ass up till he wrecked.was very scary. "

"I have known John West since around 73 but in 1983? I helped crew for him at Portland. My car wasn't running at the time so I helped him. He had the sparce Trailer with a small living quarters in front and a Vega? tow car in back behind the FC. He was running an alky setup to do the burnouots on and then switched to nitro just before he staged. Bark it once and stage. He qualified well and won first round. We pulled the pistons and they had bad black death. I said "We gotta change these" He asked if the rings were loose. I said yes. He said puttum back in! He won second round and had low ET. We pulled them again. Now they are black deathed top to bottom. He said "Puttum back in"! He won the final round running 6.0's all day. I learned a good lesson about what was important on a fuel motor that day."

Last edited:
Ron that's a cool story. Now I'm no fuel tuner, but I think what was important to a fuel motor back then is probably worlds away from what is important today. I believe the way nitro motors are run changed quite a bit when the top alky guys got involved---Veney, Armstrong, Richards...

Ron that's a cool story. Now I'm no fuel tuner, but I think what was important to a fuel motor back then is probably worlds away from what is important today. I believe the way nitro motors are run changed quite a bit when the top alky guys got involved---Veney, Armstrong, Richards...

Yeah, just don't anyone even start to think that those were my words. Like I said, just "borrowing" them. :) I thought the part about doing the burnout on alcohol and switching over was pretty impressive, along with "Puttum back in!" LOL.

Frank Oglesby has told about how he found out a long time ago that pistons were often backsided on a burnout, then the engine just finishes blowing up on the run, that the barrel valves are made for idle or WOT, not doing burnouts at part throttle. Forget what the reason was, but he did a burnout once, had to shut off and go home. Said he almost didn't take the engine apart, but was then glad he did when he found warped valve reliefs smiling up at him. Don't suppose there could be anything to doing burnouts on alcohol?

Last edited:
It's just not for the poor gearhead anymore.. As much as you scrimp and save to run a mile or two on the weekend, it will never come back to the day of working up some piece in you garage and coming out to kick butt and take names. Hell, I was just checking the classified for a SINGLE CYL. GO-KART engine on steroids (Jr. motor) for the kids, and the AVERAGE price is well over $3500..:eek: .. Without clutch.

I have an old sales brochure from Ken Cox from about 73- you could get a COMPLETE roller with body for about $500 LESS than that.. Before you start flaming on me about the value of a dollar, inflation, yada, yada.. realize that even keeping up with inflation, the cost of this sport because of its technology has gone unchecked for so long, not only have the horses left through the open barn door, they have gone and built themselves spaceships and left our galaxy.

Rules to prevent costs from skyrocketing missed their opportunity more than a decade ago- at this point all it is doing is preventing new technology from being introduced to make racing for the elite few that can afford it closer and more entertaining for the television audience (and isn't it close to that now anyway??). Let those that can afford it go off on this magical mystery tour of technology and performance unhindered by the "rules of the week"- personally, I'd love to see what they come up with within the rules they start the year with.
And I'd also like to see a day when safety certified garage projects can fill a field- whatever class it may be.
(GO JIM HEAD!!!:D )

Martin you're right. The horse has left the barn on that one. The thing that really hurts me is that the fans in the stands have gone from racers to watchers and that just sucks! I know it can't EVER be the way it was and the problem is my memory is still works way to well. It just pains me that most will never get to experience working on a nitro car.

As far as the cost of Pro Stock racing just six or seven years ago.

Warren Johnson and Richie Steven came up to Mission back in 2000 to test prior to the NW Nationals (back when there was two weeks between Denver and Seattle)
Richie had Valspar as primary and he said the cost was 400,000 per year for major sponsorship.

So it has almost quadruplied in less than a decade if infact thate 1.5 is true.
I more that likely think the cost is 1 mil.
The top five or six teams are probably spending 1.5 though.

Dean

Two weeks between Denver and Seattle? Only back when they ran Sonoma in there.

And Jon Asher is a moron. He hasn't liked anything about NHRA Drag Racing in a long time. If I was as miserable as he is I would take up needle-point.

Do any of you realize that Asher gets preferred parking, free passes to the race, restricted access to take photos and FREE LUNCH in the press room. Just so he can tell you why you should hate NHRA? Just think if he had to pay to get in.

Alan

Two weeks between Denver and Seattle? Only back when they ran Sonoma in there.

And Jon Asher is a moron. He hasn't liked anything about NHRA Drag Racing in a long time. If I was as miserable as he is I would take up needle-point.

Do any of you realize that Asher gets preferred parking, free passes to the race, restricted access to take photos and FREE LUNCH in the press room. Just so he can tell you why you should hate NHRA? Just think if he had to pay to get in.

Alan

And that too!!!!!!;)

I would have responded to Mr. Reinhart’s comment earlier, but was out of town without a computer.

I will say without hesitation that I have written a number of extremely positive stories about NHRA drag racing in the past year, including feature stories on the U.S. Nationals, the AC Delco Nationals in Las Vegas, and this year’s Winternationals.

In addition I’ve also written very positive stories about the excellent strides the NHRA Media Department has taken towards getting the sport more and better publicity as well as anther story outlining all of the very positive changes that were/are scheduled for this year’s NHRA POWERade Series events.

At the conclusion of this short letter I’ll provide a list of links to those online stories, although a second story I did on the U.S. Nationals you’ll have to find in the February issue of Hot Rod Magazine.

If, as Mr. Reinhart charges, I haven’t “liked anything about NHRA drag racing for a long time,” I wouldn’t have written the pro-NHRA drag racing stories I’ve mentioned.

Clearly, Mr. Reinhart failed to understand the content of the editorial written for Competitionplus.com, which at no point made even the slightest negative reference to NHRA drag race per se. The editorial was about the increasing costs of racing in Pro Stock in NHRA, and why some of the exotic hardware now finding its way into use is not benefiting the class or the fans who buy tickets to see those cars in action.

Mr. Reinhart is a talented announcer who’s generally well versed on most aspects of NHRA drag racing. He does a very good job of asking competitors questions at the finish line after they climb out of their cars, which provides the fans with additional entertainment.

But for the record, Mr. Reinhart gets the same kind of access and privileges that I, as well as every other member of the accredited media receives, so what that has to do with anything escapes me.

Here’s that list of links:

U.S. Nationals: “Remembering Indy”
http://competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=325&Itemid=24

AC Delco Nationals Las Vegas: “Racing In Glitter Gulch”
http://competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=908&Itemid=6

NHRA Winternationals: It’s The Grand Start To The Season”
http://competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1930&Itemid=24

NHRA Media Department: “Awash In A Sea Of Ink”
http://competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1043&Itemid=24

NHRA Track Improvements: “Changes Are A-Comin’”
http://competitionplus.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1150&Itemid=24

Jon Asher

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back