Jirka Kaplan AA/AM (1 Viewer)

I had actually found some YouTube vids of that altered. Apparently there is a twin turbo version down there, too. Only seen photos of it, though.

Maybe we could put together a match race at WSID next winter between mine and his....any excuse to go to Oz!!!

I had actually found some YouTube vids of that altered. Apparently there is a twin turbo version down there, too. Only seen photos of it, though.

Maybe we could put together a match race at WSID next winter between mine and his....any excuse to go to Oz!!!

The twin turbo is Hurley Blakey's old car-Mark Wolfe has it now.

No no no no, Dave...I meant a twin turb REAL altered in Oz (Australia)...:D It is great to see Silent Thunder still flying, though.

One of the cars that helped me decide to go this route of a turbocharged altered was a single hairdryer'd V-6 Buick 23-T that ran Comp up in D-3. Can't recall if it ran BB or AA AT but it was one awesome car to watch. No wings, little tires, and something called EFI way back in the mid-80's.

About the same time frame there was a twin turbo Hemi TAFC also in the North Central Division. If memory serves it had a Firebird body on it, plain vanilla white, and little or no lettering. I never saw the car run well enough to hang with the blown cars of the day but it was way cool to watch it run 200+ and be no louder than a Mustang GT.

Yes Alan is right the combo has Les Davenport written all over it!! He was turning 3 cars this last weekend, Alan Ellis, Jirka, and Jeff Isbells Afuel car, which also ran his career best. Les has been working in the super charger area and is real excited on its performance.

Can someone explain the altitude deal at the Vegas race? When Kaplan ran 6.06, was that a real time or already altitude factored? I was thinking, I know Comp & other sportsman cars use altitude factoring, but a AA/AM is essentially a TA/FC with a smaller motor, and alky cars don't get factored. So it may be kind of a unique scenario.

Can someone explain the altitude deal at the Vegas race? When Kaplan ran 6.06, was that a real time or already altitude factored? I was thinking, I know Comp & other sportsman cars use altitude factoring, but a AA/AM is essentially a TA/FC with a smaller motor, and alky cars don't get factored. So it may be kind of a unique scenario.

It was a real 6.06. The indexes are adjusted (or factored) up to account for the so-called "high altitude" tracks. This is true for the classes that run on an index (comp) or fixed brackets (super classes). Heads-up classes aren't factored because... well because they're heads-up.

Clear as mud?

That's as good of an explanation as I can come up with. Perhaps Professor Dave or Wes T. can explain it better.

the 6.06 was the number on the scoreboard-the number in the record books (6.00) reflects the factoring.

And the factor is pretty reasonable, notice he barely gained half a tenth because it's a blown car. Super Comp was 9.05 instead of 8.90 by comparison and Super Stock A Hemis were 9.99 instead of 9.75.

Pomona is no mineshaft but i'd have thought he would easily get a 5 there. He's probably not worried about saving the index so keep an eye on eliminations!

Pomona is no mineshaft but i'd have thought he would easily get a 5 there. He's probably not worried about saving the index so keep an eye on eliminations!

I was thinking the same thing. He can take the .1 perm and still run almost a second under the new index.

If you took that .1 off his qualifying run this weekend he would still be 19th in a pretty tough field having not made a clean run all weekend.

Last edited:
Getting to the 330 lights without pumping the throttle is the key. :D

He had to stroke the pedal on all of his qualifying passes this weekend.

Final Qualifying Session: POMONA 2 - Competition Eliminator Qualifying Notes, Final Session

Left Lane: Jay Payne Runs 14.748/87.86/7.898, Now #13; AA/PM Index: 6.85, Prior Best: 6.267/218.34/-0.583, Was #13
Right Lane: Jirka Kaplan Runs 6.642/157.06/-0.428, Now #2; AA/AM Index: 7.07, Prior Best: 6.422/216.65/-0.648, Was #2

Big Power on the line, but two broken passes. Payne dusts the slicks at the green and Kaplan shuts off early after mid-track.

First Round: POMONA 2 - Competition Eliminator Round 1 Eliminations

Car#-Driver(Opp'nt)-RT-----ET-- Speed-----Car#-Driver(Opp'nt)-RT-----ET-- Speed
7009 Ross Wilson 6180 Jirka Kaplan
E1 ****WINNER**** 0.008 8.228 163.59 0.072 6.556 156.44
C/SMA Index: 8.85 (+/-): -0.622 AA/AM Index: 7.07 (+/-): -0.514
Qualified: #18 8.287 -0.563 #2 6.422 -0.648

10:30 a.m. Weather conditions: air temperature 76 degrees, relative humidity 22 percent, barometer 28.95 inches, adjusted altitude 2,565 feet, track temperature 88 degrees.
This may be Kaplan's chance to run his "Five". There is still good air and a tight track.

It's not to be as the Hemi goes Bang near the 1000-ft. lights. He goes 182.90 at mid-track and slows to only 156.44.

Wilson hurts himself after a great 0.008 RT. He'll take a big permanent CIC into round two.

Larry Pfister of Horsepower Heaven has posted his video of Kaplan's 6.06, shot from the 100 foot mark. That launch is a thing of beauty. Looks even better in slo-mo. :D

Baddest run in Comp history- Video

LOL Was that the other guy standing behind the videographer of the original 6:06 video? The guy that was shaking his head after the run in the first video?

EDT: my mistake. the guy shaking his head was holding a still cam and too close to the starting line.

One other thing, Thats got a pretty big pully on the top. is that like a 14/71 with only 25% overdrive? and i noticed it was on a limiter on the line. is that a clutch car or auto?

Last edited:
Al, I'm curious as well about his combo. I doubt he even runs that much overdrive, since it's only 380 cubes, but what do I know? I was also wondering what type of tranny combo he uses.

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back