New Mater big enough for Sportsman talk?? (1 Viewer)

you are correct sir my bad on the blaming the delay box when it was the throttle stop:eek:
and i do understand wanting the big end charge as it makes it harder for the other guy to dump when he knows you are coming hard!
top comp has in the last 2 years became one of my favorite classes to watch.
up here in D-6 country the fields are growing fast and the bump is getting down in the mid 7's!!!:D and to me as a fan thats all good!

Then the first time they wake up and realize the tractors are out prepping the track, the weather is completely different, and it's time to race(BTW I LIVE for those Sunday Mornings..every nerve end is tingling, the gut is churning, the brain is in hyperdrive, and you wake up to Stockers already warming up thier beasts on jackstands...I thank God for every one of them I get!), they realize, hmm, we are all out here guessing!! Sure, some guys are better, and can narrow it to 2 hundredths, some guys have a 6 hundredths window...but do you set up on .90-.92, or .88 to .90?? .90 to .96 or .84 to .90?? Running slow is sure to lose, so nearly everyone tries to set up towards the fast side, at that point finish line racing becomes critical, and almost every advantage at the stripe goes to the faster car

I'm glad I'm not the only one that lives for those mornings, and it's not just sunday mornings. Just waking up at the track and watching the traveling circus unfold...ahhhh.

Our buddies wont their first National Event ever at Denver in Stock.
0628-04676.JPG

Take no offence Greg,but those proposals are hideous!! Get rid of Stock and S/S?? I take it you are not a fan of bracket racing at all.Engine diaper on 10.99 cars?? They must lose a lot of engines?? Your ideas to me would make drag racing a big $$$$ sport,not to be enjoyed by the little guy or weekend warrior.

SPIT OT MY DRINK ON THAT ONE LOL:D

I'm glad I'm not the only one that lives for those mornings, and it's not just sunday mornings. Just waking up at the track and watching the traveling circus unfold...ahhhh.

Absolutley my favorite time at the track..walking around in the relative silence, drinking coffee, everyone is still in, everyone has the energy, we ALL think we can win.....nothing on the planet can do for me what Sunday morning at the track does! I miss it (sniff)

Tim

Absolutley my favorite time at the track..walking around in the relative silence, drinking coffee, everyone is still in, everyone has the energy, we ALL think we can win.....nothing on the planet can do for me what Sunday morning at the track does! I miss it (sniff)

Tim

The cadence of cars runnings, the occasional zoom of the pit bikes...and not only the time when we think we call all win, but the time in the morning when we are all still friends!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Chris,

Are you kidding me? My proposal is all about bracket racing!! The entire sportsman program would be WOT bracket racing. I run Top Comp and am one of the biggest supporters of bracket racing there is on the west coast. Ask anyone that knows me!

I'd like to hear how you think my proposal would make it any different for the little guy or weekend warrior? They could still race in the Super Bracket or Street Bracket. Everyone could gravitate to the level they want to compete at with my proposal. It would definitely reduce the cost from what guys are currently spending in Stock and Super Stock... they wouldn't have to scheme up new ways and spend piles of money to skirt the rules.

Also, my proposal has nothing to do with the Summit E.T. Racing Series or any other local or big bucks bracket races.

As for the 10.99 diaper rule...

What do you have against safety? Diapers are cheap insurance. They make the drivers safer by preventing a blown motor from causing a crash. And I won't even get into the time savings from all the track clean-ups.

You didn't mention the local or Summit series racing.But on a larger scale,the 10.90 car that traps at 125 isn't going to have much of a chance at the 8.15 dragster going 160+.You know that as well as I do.
The big thing is all the changes you mention will increase the costs to race. I can guarantee you that any stock or S/S racer wil agree with my opinion

Diaper rule?? I don't see the need for it on a average doorslammer car.We've been racing since 1972 and I can assure you that most 10 second cars do not lose engines on a regualr basis to warrant the use of a diaper.I've got nothing against safety,but let's look at the whole scenario.

I was lucky enough to be in super gas when we had manual throttle stops to adjust. That was some serious racing and close!!!!

ELECTRONICS:
I don't have a problem with the delay boxes because it puts them on equal ground with stick shift cars on the starting line. It also helps when you are traveling to different tracks. Finally and most importantaly the button is still released by the driver.

All the other eletronics like shifters and such, again I really don't have problem with those either.

What I do have a problem with is the electronic throttle stops. Watching a car blast off the line then fall on it's face and take off again is insane and not drag racing. It has become nothing more than a video game to a lot of these competitiors. I always thought it was man/woman and machine verses man/woman and machine. This not a disrespect to anyone who uses those device because today you have to have them to be competitive but it was a whole lot better before they allowed them in and changed everything.

Just so you know I started in street eliminator bracket racing so I have nothing against bracket racing (9.90s classes-same thing) and respect the driving ability of those competitors. I just hate the throttle stops.

I am also for a sportsman forum. If you want to see creativity in action go watch the comp class, it is absolutely amazing and they do it purely for the love of it......my kind of racers.

jim

Billy, Believe me,I'm soaking in all info I can get!! I also see that you are leading your divisions points. What I see in my division (2) is that the S/St car count at divsionals is SMALL.

Chris, Thanks for noticing my points lead:D , its an optical illusion because I have a race on everyone..but hey, I'm enjoying it while it lasts!! Your right about division 2 car counts, and guys who really follow S/ST Nationally, consider that division a little soft, of course they consider Division 1, really tough...but that didn't stop Div.2's Champ Michael Ruff from cleaning house in Div 1's race in Virginia last weekend!!

Tim and Jenn,
You're dead on with an 0!! I've always wondered why it takes me ten minutes to explain a ten second pass!!!

Tim and Jenn,
You're dead on with an 0!! I've always wondered why it takes me ten minutes to explain a ten second pass!!!

If you think about it, 10 seconds is a LONG time! You hear people say "Well, 10 seconds that's pretty quick. Driver releases, the car launches, tires turn, spin, chassis flexes, settles, torques, driver steers, wrestles, eases, guides, throttle stop hits, head goes foward, chassis flexes again, torques, head goes back, steer the car, where is that other guy? Signs are a blur, but you know where you are at. 1000 foot, start judging...dump? Take it? Tighten it? Give it up? Lift? Brakes? Win light on? Where's the light?

Got it! Let's go do it again!

Last edited:
If anyone missed it, or maybe you bookmark straight to NHRA forum, here it is. Sportsman forum
Thanks to Jerrod and Shannon, and hopefully we can continue these type of discussions over there.

I don't see why there needs to be a Sportsman forum!?!?!?

Aren't the Sportsman racers part of the NHRA just like the pros?

To me it's a slap in the face to say that the Sportsman topics aren't welcome in the NHRA section of Nitromater!!!

Last edited:
I don't see why there needs to be a Sportsman forum!?!?!?

Aren't the Sportsman racers part of the NHRA just like the pros?

To me it's a slap in the face to say that the Sportsman topics are welcome in the NHRA section of Nitromater!!!

Some of the members asked for it. It also shows up in the forum column so non members that are lurking can see that it's not all Nitro here. I look at it as a positive,not a negative thing.

Yup, Sportsman racer's are part of NHRA, but are seperated from the Pro/Nitro group too. :) PRO/ Sportsman is the way it's always been.

As to a slap, don't think so. It makes it easier for the sportsman crowd to go straight to the stuff that interests them and the people that want just Nitro/Pro stuff, don't have to read all the sportsman stuff. Seems simple to me.

So Jean,

Just like NHRA does, Nitromater is now segregating the fans from Sportsman racers...

"Sshhhh... don't let anyone know there are other racers in the NHRA besides the Pros!"

Ways To Support Nitromater

Users who are viewing this thread

Back